XS1 foam air filter conversion ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've had a bit of a slack morning at work, so I've put that time to good use, doing more research into the XS1B.
I've finally found out exactly what the difference is between XS1/XS1B air filter boxes and the XS2/TX650 items.
The later boxes are smaller, so '70/'71 elements can't fit into the '72/'73 boxes, but the reverse may be possible.
Don't know for sure yet.
Early elements are 256-14451-00, the later ones 306-14451-00, some dealers are selling the later types as one size fits all.
A bit naughty really.
I also thought about ripping out the old paper element core, and replacing it with a more modern, washable foam element.
Then it turns out someone has already done that with success.
A quick check on eBay reveals loads of differnt types of air filter foam available relatively cheaply - and not a difficult thing to make.
But then I'm thinking a bit deeper about this - how do I know the level of filtration is going to be adequate ?
Is there an industry standard for air filter foam ?
Some of the stuff on eBay looks like it could be trimmings from a furniture factory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-101729.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-101729.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20220801-103405.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-103405.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20220801-103521.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-103521.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20220801-102107.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-102107.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 110
I don't know if there is an industry standard for air filter foam. But, with respect, there is a danger of over-thinking this. As long as you've got a foam air filter, lightly oiled, that's going to keep most dust and detritus from getting into the engine. The only thing that would worry me about about cheap trimmings would be if the foam was friable - like, you handle it and small pieces keep crumbling off. Just my tuppence worth.

You're probably right.
A bit of common sense goes a long way.
Some people seem to just love chucking big money at a problem when there is no need.
Fortunately, I'm not one of them.
But I'd be happier knowing that my foam isn't going to be disintegrating due to fuel vapour, or bursting into flames while I'm riding.

Uni brand foam filters are an "industry standard" and are not furniture trimmings.
You have to read the ads carefully as UNI comes in various gauges and thicknesses.
1659354935964.png

I've been making XS air filters out of UNI foam on stock filter frames for decades. Usually using the fine 60 or 65PPI foam. the 5/8" thick gets pretty bulky inside the stock airbox, the 3/8" what I normally use. Unlike some brands that you can "see through" :twocents: these are effective air cleaners. My big ole lawnmowers in very dirty conditions use this type foam as a "prefilter" that I wash a couple times a year and the paper filter inside lasts for years.
https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/accessories/
They are not fireproof I have burned/melted a filter.:shrug:
A template for the 80 up special frames.
UNI filter cutting diagram XS650.JPG

Uni brand foam filters are an "industry standard" and are not furniture trimmings.
You have to read the ads carefully as UNI comes in various gauges and thicknesses.
View attachment 220652
I've been making XS air filters out of UNI foam on stock filter frames for decades. Usually using the fine 60 or 65PPI foam. the 5/8" thick gets pretty bulky inside the stock airbox, the 3/8" what I normally use. Unlike some brands that you can "see through" :twocents: these are effective air cleaners. My big ole lawnmowers in very dirty conditions use this type foam as a "prefilter" that I wash a couple times a year and the paper filter inside lasts for years.
https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/accessories/
They are not fireproof I have burned/melted a filter.:shrug:
A template for the 80 up special frames.
View attachment 220653
Many thanks Gary.
Your post has saved me possibly hours of research time.
I'll buy enough UNI foam to do some experimentation, then when I know what works best, I'll buy in enough stock to last me out.

Yep, refurbed many OE filters with UNI foam. OE paper elements aren't fireproof either. Best to use a light application of light oil and avoid thinning heavier oil with gasoline.
I've never been keen on paper elements at any point.
Oil bath filters are the King in my estimation, but I don't think they'd fit on an XS

Did a v. quick look for UNI foam for sale UK - ebay, £12 a sheet, plus £44 p&p from US. Ahem, I'm sure you will find better offers . . .

Did a v. quick look for UNI foam for sale UK - ebay, £12 a sheet, plus £44 p&p from US. Ahem, I'm sure you will find better offers . . .
Some of the shipping quotes from the US are absolutely ridiculous I admit.
Then others less so.
I think speed is the critical factor, it's assumed that you must be desperate to recieve things ASAP.
My projects don't progress so fast, no great rush for parts

Back