XS1 Muffler LOUD

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a pretty original XS1 but the mufflers are def some sort of aftermarket shorty type. They are a bit loud and my neighbor is starting to complain. I bought some Amazon baffles just to see if I would like the sound (I really don’t love the look of the original long muffler). I held them in by hand, didn’t fully screw and mount them and it made zero difference in sound! I was pretty surprised, so I then shined a light into the muffler and saw that there was a piece of metal blocking halfway through… is that normal? Any other ways to quiet this beast down?

XS1 Startup

Attachments

• C96954AB-AFDE-4A18-B590-F543B0E32C18.jpeg
    C96954AB-AFDE-4A18-B590-F543B0E32C18.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 87
  • E2F76B86-F1BA-486E-AD27-0EFF79D8D939.jpeg
    E2F76B86-F1BA-486E-AD27-0EFF79D8D939.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 90
Perhaps try wrapping the baffles with some fiberglass mat, held to the baffle with some mechanics wire...or you could just move....

tim

I guess personal tastes vary, but running a "pretty original" XS1 with those sorry looking "mufflers" is almost sacrilege IMHO.
I am 99% convinced that your bike would run a lot better with OEM or reproduction XS1 mufflers, while still sounding throaty enough for most folks. If you somehow could make those tiny tin cans as quiet as the OEM mufflers, my bet is that you'd lose at least 10 hp compared to a completely stock bike.
In short, achieving acceptable noise levels and satisfactory performance requires a certain muffler volume.
OTOH, if you want to convert gasoline into noise in the most efficient manner, surely Craigslist is loaded with motorcycles made in Milwaukee, equipped with just short drag pipes ..

yes, and they are ugly. peashooters look and sound great on these bikes
That depends on what you mean with peashooters. I got a pair of "big bore" peashooters, i.e. reproduction Norton Commando mufflers, for 1 1/2" OD pipes (Stock Norton Commando headpipes are 1 3/8" OD)

They did indeed look great, but sounded awful on my internally stock XS. Not close to a pleasing sound.

That depends on what you mean with peashooters. I got a pair of "big bore" peashooters, i.e. reproduction Norton Commando mufflers, for 1 1/2" OD pipes (Stock Norton Commando headpipes are 1 3/8" OD)

They did indeed look great, but sounded awful on my internally stock XS. Not close to a pleasing sound

Did you get yous from Mike's? I think I got Emgo, I love the sound and have put them on three of my XS's. The deal gggHary tagged is the way to go IMHO

Did you get yous from Mike's? I think I got Emgo, I love the sound and have put them on three of my XS's. The deal gggHary tagged is the way to go IMHO
Yes that's a great price and when they are gone they are gone. I'm tempted to get an "extra pair" just in case....

Yes that's a great price and when they are gone they are gone. I'm tempted to get an "extra pair" just in case....
I've already got set in boxes waiting for a bike to put them on. Otherwise I'd snatch up a pair. You can throttle play those babys like Satchmo's horn. And da be PRETTY as Lady Day.

I have a pretty original XS1 but the mufflers are def some sort of aftermarket shorty type. They are a bit loud and my neighbor is starting to complain. I bought some Amazon baffles just to see if I would like the sound (I really don’t love the look of the original long muffler). I held them in by hand, didn’t fully screw and mount them and it made zero difference in sound! I was pretty surprised, so I then shined a light into the muffler and saw that there was a piece of metal blocking halfway through… is that normal? Any other ways to quiet this beast down?

XS1 Startup
Sounds like a neighbor problem rather than a noise problem. What`s he going to complain about next?:yikes:

My daily rider is a Honda 599 (a.k.a. Hornet). My neighbors are always commenting on how quiet it is when I ride by them while they are jogging. Its a sewing machine under 4 grand and a SCREAMER over 8.

Back