XS1 question

xssic

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the rear signal lamp lenses originally sold on the XS1 were red or yellow?
I've seen both and I'm uncertain what to put on my bike.

On the Xs2s they were red in the USA. Since you are in Canada I do not know what was required then.

Can anyone tell me if the rear signal lamp lenses originally sold on the XS1 were red or yellow?
I've seen both and I'm uncertain what to put on my bike.
The xS1 did not require turn signals. The XS1B did. XS2 had red on back and amber on front.

Last edited:
(f) Turn signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signals lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and headlamp shall be four inches.
The mandate came for 1973. I know the XS-2 came equipped with turn signals. I can't be sure, but I believe the XS1B was delivered with turn signals. A friend of mine had a 1971 Triumph and it had turn signals on it. Of that, I'm sure.

I've found plenty of period photos with 1970 XS1 models fitted with indicators.
These two would appear to be Yamahas own advertising photos.
Might depend on which market they were intended for

Attachments

• 20220702_181014.jpg
    20220702_181014.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220702_181045.jpg
    20220702_181045.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 56
Most late 60s onward Japanese bikes seem to have came with signals. At least that I’ve seen.

In the states, anything younger than Jan 1 1973 did not federally require them.

I'm just riffing cuz I didn't work in a yamaha dealership back then but a lot of the bolt on type items tend to be a bit of a mish mash. mirrors another kettle of fish.
Seems like dealers had boxes of those extras the grabbed and bolted on more or less willy nilly.
and well that stuff sticks out, the first things to get mashed in an accident or removed if not required.
there are some inexpensive Thailand 6 volt knock off signals that I think look good. (I may be biased ;^))
KIMG1456.JPG

I just yank the guts and add festoon leds. Easy to solder leads right to the bulb ends. Stuck em in place with hot melt glue.

1656788121962.png

The bike does have all the circuits and the switch in place.
Use an electronic blinker can, put it in the headlight bucket, done.

They changed rear to amber because they show better in sea of red brake lights ....
Not that being seen on a motorcycle is ever a problem.

I'm just riffing cuz I didn't work in a yamaha dealership back then but a lot of the bolt on type items tend to be a bit of a mish mash. mirrors another kettle of fish.
Seems like dealers had boxes of those extras the grabbed and bolted on more or less willy nilly.
and well that stuff sticks out, the first things to get mashed in an accident or removed if not required.
there are some inexpensive Thailand 6 volt knock off signals that I think look good. (I may be biased ;^))
View attachment 217922
I just yank the guts and add festoon leds. Easy to solder leads right to the bulb ends. Stuck em in place with hot melt glue.

View attachment 217923
Intesting !
I have just ordered such a set from Thailand for the princely sum of £32 all inclusive.
I'll bear the LED trick in mind.
Do the tungsten bulbs just fall out of the holders like most cheap far eastern stuff ?

They are six volt odd base and yeah it's pretty cheesy in there. Drilled out the hole in the base ran wires outside the threaded rods.

Back