XS1100 -- Everything You Need To Know

There was a kind of madness took hold of the Japanese big four in the late 70s. Spiralling size, weight and power. I used to read all the m/c mags in them days and the journos took turns to rave about the XS1100, Honda CBX, Kawasaki Z1300, Suzuki RE5. Lunch times used to visit the motorcycle showroom in Cadzow Street, Hamilton - was it Lloyd's M/cs? - and ogle those bikes.

Yamaha's strain of that madness was to rip up the design book and come up with something new. The shaft 750 triple for one, then they added a 4th cylinder.

But I felt then, and still feel now, that they were just too big. I know, I'm a hypocrite and I've since owned and ridden American muscle like FXDX and Victory Hammer. Buy a £300 10"-wide rear tyre and shred it in a thousand miles. I'm feeling better now, Thank You very much.

But in 1979, I side-stepped that size, weight and power race and put my money on an SR500. Was parked in Langholm one day and there was a bunch of great big Japanese bikes parked near; this old gentleman stopped to tell me I had made a far better choice. I thought so too.

But ETTO.

More pics, just for the halibut.
1653575568110.png

This is XS Southeast 2014. I doubt anyone will put as many XS1100s together again!

1653575749079.png

2017 now Vintage Yamaha Rally. The XS650 Society was involved that year.

1653575888641.png

Me, carving corners on the "poor handling" XS1100 Special.

1653576005148.png

A customized Eleven Special tearing it up on The Dragon.

1653576142834.png

@2manybikes on his pristine XS1100F.

Last edited:
Couldn't find any pics of the bike but
CL ad: XS1100 Special $200. Local to me took trailer, and bought it, but guy didn't have title in hand, renter had dumped it in a ditch, then went straight to jail. He just wanted the bike out of his shed.
Paid guy $100 and hauled it off. Told him another $100 when I got the title. A few simple fixes, some parts replacement, straightening, and it was road worthy again. A month later, several back and forths, but no title, summer is slipping away. He calls, stops by, hands me the title! Says it took so long I don't want the other $100! Plain wouldn't take the money. Back on CL, Guy shows to buy, Hefty fellah seems to have little MC experience. Test ride starts by going down my steep gravel driveway ending on a busy state highway. Gulp! He and bike survived. $1,100 and off it went.
That's the tale.

Last edited:
1653585605993.png

Forum interest. That's @grizld1 on the left in the grey jacket. He's the real deal! That's me standing beside him. We know each other well. I know @madmax-im well too. I'm pointing at him in the photo. I've been riding with these guys for a very long time. :bike:
The school bus yellow shirts mean it was 2013.

Last edited:
View attachment 215147
Forum interest. That's @grizld1 on the left in the grey jacket. He's the real deal! That's me standing beside him. We know each other well. I know @madmax-im well too. I'm pointing at him in the photo. I've been riding with these guys for a very long time. :bike:
And the middle bike is SwampThing before It was fully dressed...The bike on the right is a 1981 Venturer XS1100 owned by Mike Pittman...George to you immediate left and Bikerphil to his left.....I didnt know that was grlzd1. He rode 2 up to that rally..I had lunch with him and his wife at the Stecoah diner...Yes 2013..the 1st year I had SwampThing at the rally...

And the middle bike is SwampThing before It was fully dressed...The bike on the right is a 1981 Venturer XS1100 owned by Mike Pittman...George to you immediate left and Bikerphil to his left.....I didnt know that was grlzd1. He rode 2 up to that rally..I had lunch with him and his wife at the Stecoah diner...Yes 2013..the 1st year I had SwampThing at the rally...
Yeah, this old motorcycle hobby has been good to me. I have MaximPhil's bike in my garage as I post this. XS rallies make for longtime friends!

No bike this year but i was thinking about making a token appearance for 1 night...I still have some friends that still go every year..Gary and Bruce from NY and Darrell from VA and Earl G ofc...and Jeff...Brent...Don...Maxim Phil...the old guard

Yamaha XS650 Forum would like your permission to enable push notifications.

Back