XS1100SG fuel sender leaking.

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My fuel sender leaks. Advice on the xS11 forum says smear it with tank sealer. There are two listed on eBay. One for $400 and the other is $300. I’d rather not. I ordered a new seal. The sender leaks where the wire passes through.

DE75B6E5-475F-4334-8179-B410F5BAB50F.jpeg
589D0205-C4A5-42B8-B7A3-6EAD5AE70FA3.jpeg
E1A02000-5ACE-4EF7-9737-86B831CB24BF.jpeg

Maybe some sort of sealant? I think it worthwhile to run it by this panel of experts.

Bad batch maybe? I've used it...even immersed in fuel... many times over the years. It's always worked.
I bought my XS11, unbeknownst to me, with a carburetor post secured with JB. It failed, the airbox flooded, I hit the start button and the bike burst into flames. My daughter was there and quick with the fire bottle. She ripped it right off the wall and saved my bike!

I can understand that you'd be put off by that near catastrophy, to say the least! But my guess is that the guy who cemented the float post used JB Quick, which isn't fuel proof. When it comes to the original formula slow cure JB, my experience matches Jim's. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I can understand that you'd be put off by that near catastrophy, to say the least! But my guess is that the guy who cemented the float post used JB Quick, which isn't fuel proof. When it comes to the original formula slow cure JB, my experience matches Jim's. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
I did that thing on a radian I sold on (original JB weld) but was cringing as I took the guys money.............
The radian carbs are NOTORIOUS for stuck float pins.
Got em all freed up without breaking a post on Allison's Radian.

I'd use a thinner two part epoxy, like tank liner?
XJ11 Fished around with a hook through the gas cap and got the sender to register on the panel for a bit. Suspect the float is loose on the rod or just varnished up wires in the sender box. Was riding off some of the fuel in the tank before surgery. Not anxious cuz carbs need a good look inside also.

I did that thing on a radian I sold on (original JB weld) but was cringing as I took the guys money.............
The radian carbs are NOTORIOUS for stuck float pins.
Got em all freed up without breaking a post on Allison's Radian.
A friend of mine had this problem on his GS850. His bike caught fire while he was riding it. He tried outrunning the flames. He ended up pulling off and watching the bike burn to the ground. I take fuel leaks seriously.

Back