XS1B or XS1F ? I'm confused (again)

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The complete XS1B I bought a couple of months back is definately a XS1B, no doubt about it - frame and engine numbers are matching at S650-0085**
Everything else on it seems to match this except maybe the lower fork yoke.
I also have another frame plus a pile of cycle parts which will build up into a nice period bitsa, but will never resemble a 100% original bike.
Frame number on this one is S650-0127**
I don't have an engine for it yet.
Now does that frame number make it XS1B or XS1F ?
XS1B frame numbers start at S650-007101 and go upto S650-025383 apparently.
XS1F frame numbers start at S650-010101.
So does this mean that anything with a number after this could be either ?
Or am I misunderstanding something quite obvious ?
This might seem a little pedantic but I'd like to know exactly what I've got my hands on.
Neither (according to my information) the XS1B or the XS1F were ever sold in the UK, so it's obviously been imported from somewhere

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-175820.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-175820.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20220820-180401.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-180401.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 68
Look at the frame chart on this link.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

It would appear that xs1b and F used the same numbers but the F was shipped to Europe and “other”. Sold in candy orange only.

Maybe the only way to tell would be what the physical bike looked like since there were small differences between them.

I’m no expert and all I just wrote may certainly be rubbish so hopefully someone with some knowledge chimes in.

These bikes are old now so old this little difference may not be there. XS1B's have a round taillight. XS1F gets the same shaped taillight as the XS1.
XS1 and XS1F taillight.............the green Tank was an option on the XS1F. 2M has an XS1B with the green livery

1661042922901.png

1661042987627.jpeg

XS1B

h3llb3nt1  ..jpg

These bikes are old now so old this little difference may not be there. XS1B's have a round taillight. XS1F gets the same shaped taillight as the XS1.
XS1 and XS1F taillight.............the green Tank was an option on the XS1F. 2M has an XS1B with the green livery

View attachment 222490

View attachment 222491

XS1B

View attachment 222493
Many thanks !
My XS1B has the round tail lamp and traces of the Yamaha Candy Orange paint.
That's the complete bike I bought.
The other "bike" started out as a bare frame tucked away in some guy's spare bedroom.
I've got nothing to go on except the frame number.
I'm noticing other subtle little differences between the B and F models from the publicity photos etc.
Available in Candy Green but the '71 models have an extra white stripe compared to the '70 model tank.
Front indicators are mounted as the headlamp fixings, instead of those chromed brackets under the fork tube nuts.
All petty stuff, but important when you're spending big bucks on rare parts.
When I applied to the (UK) VJMC for a dating certificate for my complete XS1B, (required to get an age related registration in the UK), the dating officer was able to pinpoint the build date as September 1970.
So maybe when I come to get a dating certificate for the bitsa bike, they might be able to tell me whether it's a "B" or "F"
Aggreed it's pretty irrelevant after 50+ years, I'm just curious.

Years ago I was bidding on a Xs1F owner's manual. Another buyer emailed me from the Land of Oz and explained the " G " was sold mostly on the pacific rim countries.. " F " meaning First. I don't believe the states for the F series. 😎

Back