XS2 Gas Tank Question

gwallis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1972 XS650 that is in pretty rough shape. The gas tank to salvageable but it needs to be painted and it does not have the original badges. Not being able to find said badges I am considering filling in the indentations before painting.

My question for the group is: 'Should I do this or is there something else I should consider?'

Fuel Tank Badge - Yamaha Black and Chrome XS1 XS1b XS2

65-6501_xs650-tank-badge_01.jpg

I just purchased a 1972 XS650 that is in pretty rough shape. The gas tank to salvageable but it needs to be painted and it does not have the original badges. Not being able to find said badges I am considering filling in the indentations before painting.

My question for the group is: 'Should I do this or is there something else I should consider?'
Hi and welcome.
Start a build thread and we can help advise you on getting parts.
My XS2 thread. I did just a resurrection.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/its-past-time-to-start-xs2-resurrection.53396/
And Mailmans. His is OK.;)
Actually his is the Bible for a XS2 restoration.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/

Ok.. OK!

First of all I am the one that was considering buying the XS1 from Gary (also my name). The 'Conflicted' part was between the pride of ownership vs the pride and satisfaction one gets from bringing an old motorcycle back to life. I ultimately chose the latter.

Anyway... three days after I spoke to Gary I found a 1972 XS2 in Muskego,WI. The bike is in very rough shape after laying on its side in the weeds for a decade. Why people do this to motorcycles is beyond me. Paid $300 for the bike which had everything except the following:
Seat, Side Covers, Mirrors and a few electrical components.

See attached pics..
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20b5.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20b7.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20b9.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20bb.jpg

Well, it looks like you’ve got yourself a project there! ;) Good luck with your build!
B2CB6E8B-976F-417C-B611-DE3EF8EB9F07.png

Ok.. OK!

First of all I am the one that was considering buying the XS1 from Gary (also my name). The 'Conflicted' part was between the pride of ownership vs the pride and satisfaction one gets from bringing an old motorcycle back to life. I ultimately chose the latter.

Anyway... three days after I spoke to Gary I found a 1972 XS2 in Muskego,WI. The bike is in very rough shape after laying on its side in the weeds for a decade. Why people do this to motorcycles is beyond me. Paid $300 for the bike which had everything except the following:
Seat, Side Covers, Mirrors and a few electrical components.

See attached pics..View attachment 180397View attachment 180398View attachment 180399View attachment 180400
Some may not agree. I think you got it for a good price and there's some good bones there.
How nice do you plan on making it?

I usually do a mild 'Rustoration'... make the bike run and ride as it should... with some modern/new parts.

On my facebook page you can see several of the bikes I have done this past year... my full name is Gary Wallis.

I first want to get the bike running before I put a lot of money into it... sort of a leap of faith with this one!

Oh, another XS2 being saved, yea. Yes we would love to see pictures as you go. What number is it. Looks like you have a pretty complete bike. Hope you can save that tank, they are getting extremely rare. There are still a lot of parts out there so you should not have a problem with that area other than the tank.

I have already stripped the tank and will line it with Caswell Tank Liner tomorrow. Once that is done I will have to decide what color. I have also ordered the black and silver badges from Mikes XS. The bikes original color was a candy red i believe.

I'm more of a Por 15 liner fan. I work at a shop (ok, I show up.. hang around.. maybe do something.. we'r working on a P-11 now.... Grrrrrrrr.... ) but we do mostly Xs 650's. If you want a award winning paint work... all the tins... contact "marks650yamahas ".. River Falls Wis. He did my Xs1 and a couple of my other bikes.... also VJMV and AMCA members... outstate and Canada. It's a three stage process.... then clear coated.... but it's around $1500.oo. Rigth now we'r do'n all the tins and plastic bits for a GSX.. ? .. big Suzuki crotch rocket... Our local powder coater does all the black bits.... the chrome guy ... dang.. except for the exhaust.. all the chrome bits are approaching $1800.oo to get done... If I recall.. the Xs2 (1972) was one of the most numerous production years...restored in all it's stunning red and white.. the best looking example of the Xs650 series. ( should have kept mine, insert sad face here )

I plan on starting a 'Build Thread' on this forum; However, I do not plan on spending that kind of money on this or any other bike. I will get it to the point where it runs and rides like it should and then move on to the next project. I hope that does not offend anyone on this platform. I certainly admire those that can dedicate the time and effort to a full restoration.

No one well be .. offended .... we embrace any and all projects... rat to full on restoration. Post your project... photos.. we like photos..... :)

Please do start a build thread.
Unless you attack the frame with a sawzall you are not going to offend me. Even then I wouldn't be personally offended.
My XS2 looked a lot like yours when I started on it. Rusty and crusty. In some ways worse. Frame broke in 2 places, cracked in a few more. Engine cases cracked. A lot of the rust will clean up. EvapoRust is my choice.
I'm just curious as to what you are thinking of budgeting for this bike to get it road worthy?
As far as the missing parts you need 3 out of the big 4. Nice seats with grab rail, side covers and the correct mirror are not easy to find at a reasonable price.
Not sure how much you know about the XS2 but the front forks, rotor carrier and spool 1 year only.
Good luck looking forward to following your journey.

I have no problem spending Two Grand on this particular bike. Most of the Hondas that I rebuild take a little over a grand before they are up and running. Of course the parts are readily available for 70's Hondas.

I normally make just enough to finance the next project... maybe a little more. Buy the bike for $300 or $400... put $1,000 into it and maybe get $2,500 when it is sold.

I am showing my ignorance here but... what are you referring to with the 'Rotor Carrier and Spool 1'?

I probably didn't phrase it correctly. The brake disk doesn't bolt to the spool/hub. When you take your front wheel off it will become clearer.
upload_2020-12-13_10-14-3.png

upload_2020-12-13_10-15-23.png

Back