XS2 scrambler build

Forgot to add the pic here it is
d1d57be2-1b04-5f1a-a4fd-df63d86f7c3e.jpeg

Welcome.

I think the 400 would be a better bike to cafe. Mainly because the XS2 does pose a few problems and extra costs due to it being the early type, (pre74 the engines are different to the later 74-84 ones), and the XS2 has a one year only front end, (forks hub brake rotor), so parts will be harder to get if you need to replace any of these parts.

Read Mailmans excellent restore thread, he has a contents list on page one so you can go directly to parts of the restore that are of interest at the time.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/

On the XS2.........Having a title, and having the bike in running condition would make it a more valuable selling prospect. Then again if the bike has been made reliable, Electrics/charging/brakes, and a clean tank with petcocks and carbs rebuilt and synced, with new rubber and a bit of a tidy up the bike can be used and ridden around. may not be a big cost and it can be sold or advertised a a running bike. You don't have to do a chrome paint restore.after it is made reliable a clean up with WD40 makes it look a million $ even in a rough state, and keeps it from deteriorating..........also has the look of a well used original bike

Unless money dictates, it might be prudent to sit on both of the bikes for a while to get a feel on what is the best way forward for yourself, after deciding what advice bes suits and doing some research on here.................cant get a better site than this one for information and hands on help.

Its easy to miss posts. In this post i posted a link to Mailman's restore thread that includes a contents list on page one..............this link will take you to any part of the XS2 you want to find out about.............

I checked out his build thread when I first started this thread. I read about 15 pages but my adhd got the best of me. It took me to page one of it though. I didn't see a page if contents.

Yes, I found it. I used it earlier to find out about the electric start. Sorry about the brain fart earlier I was at dinner and completely forgot about it.

Well changing the triple clamp went bad. My plan was to lower the bike so before removing the top nuts I decided to remove the bottom triple clamp pinch bolts. I don't know why it didn't hit me that there would be nothing holding the forks in place. Now my bike has about 1 inch of travel. Luckily I had a plastic oil catch under the bike so it just didn't fall over, Also nothing broke witch is a plus. Tomorrow I and my dad are going to have to simultaneously lift the frame up and tighten the bottom fork clamp bolts.

Second note

If anyone is planning to swap their xs2 triple clamp for an xs400 clamp (There's gotta be at least one of you). It is not a direct fit. The holes line but the fork tube holes are maybe a 1/4 of an inch too small and the middle hole ( the one that mounts the forks to the frame). If you go ham with a Dremel there should be enough room to make it work. I will get some pictures in the morning for this to make sense

This definitely was a rookie mistake. It sucks I am going to have to Dremel the triple clamp since I spent I good amount of time painting it.

This is a monumentally bad idea.

Yeah, I was kinda on the verge, but it seems like the only way of getting it on there. There is a lot of thickness around the outside so I don't know how much I would reduce the strength of it. I will get some pics in the morning. Worse case I will just mount the old triple clamp back on.

You better check the offset also, the early XS650's have a very deep offset seldom seen on any other street bikes.

On the top clamp, there is a little "ledge that only allows you to have the forks flush with it. It's hard to describe in words but here is a pic from mailman you can kinda see it. Unless there is something I am missing there is not the way to slide the forks up it.

Also thanks to everyone for the speedy replies

Attachments

• CA06A504-5A62-4374-8AD3-73D540D2A766.jpeg
    CA06A504-5A62-4374-8AD3-73D540D2A766.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 101
  • FA40311B-9362-429E-82AB-5879F8A49FE0.jpeg
    FA40311B-9362-429E-82AB-5879F8A49FE0.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 99
Correct you can't drop tubes in early forks. There's a rats nest here. those 72 forks are different in several dimensions than any other year.

Skull on the link you sent they mention they said the stock tree was 34mm is that the diameter of the head tube?.

If one was to fork swap the xs400 forks onto the XS2. Is the head tube the main thing that decides if it will fit or not?.

Back