XS2 scrambler build

Update

today went way better than last night. I managed to get the bike on its center stand. With it, on there I was able to slide the forks back down and tighten the clamp.

I decided to go ahead and paint the top clamp to make disassembling it not be a complete waste of time. To do that I needed to open up the headlight to disconnect all the tachometer lights. That went easy. I labeled all of the wires with tape so connecting them should be a breeze.

Last night when I went to get the socket I also got oil and a battery. They only had a 12ah battery and I read online that Yahama recommended a 14ah one. I plan to just use the kick start so It should work fine. Anyways I got the acid in the battery just need to charge it and I got the new oil in the bike. I heard people had clutch issues using synthetic oil so I just went with normal 20w-50.

I am still debating what I am going to do about the front end. But I am definitely going to put more thought into it and not rush.

Here's a current pic of the bike.

I ordered some motorcycle shock extenders on amazon they fit the bike almost perfectly just had to add a couple of washers. Someone else posted about them so I am not a pioneer here.

I removed a crap ton of parts turn signals, front/ rear fender, and a few more. I am really liking the shape the bike is starting to make.

Tomorrow my carb rebuild kit should be here so expect a first start video soon.

I do have a question do you guys think I should keep the stock gas tank paint? I have the ability to get it professionally done but am kinda scared it will make everything else on the bike look so much dirtier. ( I would go with the stock colors)

IMG_0065[1].JPG

Leave it. A scrambler by nature should be a used, dirty and banged up bike. I think the patina wears well on it.

It kinda started. I did not feel comfortable with the condition of the gas tank so I just filled the fuel lines up with an external gas can ( I think that's why it ran for 10 seconds). Overall It started pretty easy for a bike sitting for 35 years.

One problem is sometimes when I start it the kick start will fly back up. I heard that this could be a cam timing issue.

I am also still waiting on pod filters they should be here tomorrow.

It kinda started. I did not feel comfortable with the condition of the gas tank so I just filled the fuel lines up with an external gas can ( I think that's why it ran for 10 seconds). Overall It started pretty easy for a bike sitting for 35 years.

One problem is sometimes when I start it the kick start will fly back up. I heard that this could be a cam timing issue.

That's progress.
thumbsup.gif

Kinda hard to tell on such a short run, but it almost sounded like it was only running on 1 cylinder.

That's progress. View attachment 194017
Kinda hard to tell on such a short run, but it almost sounded like it was only running on 1 cylinder.

Would I be able to tell if I ran fresh plugs, then checked them after running? I am planning to clean the tank out tonight. So hopefully a longer video will be here tomorrow.

I checked mailman's start-up video and they deferentially don't sound the same

Would I be able to tell if I ran fresh plugs, then checked them after running? I am planning to clean the tank out tonight. So hopefully a longer video will be here tomorrow.
Even after a short run, the headers will get hot right where they come out of the head. If you can get it to run for 20-30 sec or so, they'll be too hot to touch (wet your finger first.... I use spit. :rolleyes:). If one's hot and the other's cold.... there ya go.

Well, I have some good news and some really bad news. I used some toilet bowl cleaner to clean out my gas tank it worked great. Here's a pic

IMG_0086[1].JPG

It worked so great I decided to soak my petcocks in it. Here's what they looked like after an hour of soaking
IMG_0091[1].JPG

Now I have to spend 40 bucks for freaking 2 petcocks. At least my tank didn't end up looking like that. I'd be really screwed

Well, I have some good news and some really bad news. I used some toilet bowl cleaner to clean out my gas tank it worked great. Here's a pic

View attachment 194023

It worked so great I decided to soak my petcocks in it. Here's what they looked like after an hour of soaking
View attachment 194024
Now I have to spend 40 bucks for freaking 2 petcocks. At least my tank didn't end up looking like that. I'd be really screwed
Ask first. There’s a lot of experience here to help you along.

I've got 2 from a 77 if they will work I would donate them. They cant be that much to mail. May need a rebuild, but yours are toasted. Someone will have to chime in on compatibility.

Ask first. There’s a lot of experience here to help you along.

Defentailly will. The thought of it completely destroying the petcock never even crossed my mind.

While I wait a week for shipping would something like this work for hooking up a small gas tank? I just want to start getting it tuned.
FCT67-600x600.jpg

Defentailly will. The thought of it completely destroying the petcock never even crossed my mind.

While I wait a week for shipping would something like this work for hooking up a small gas tank? I just want to start getting it tuned.
View attachment 194026
Brass is safe for gasoline if that’s what you’re asking.

I've got 2 from a 77 if they will work I would donate them. They cant be that much to mail. May need a rebuild, but yours are toasted. Someone will have to chime in on compatibility.

Thanks, man. I checked xs mike it says that they go from 1970-1977 so that perfect. Pm how much shipping will be and I can PayPal you.

Even after a short run, the headers will get hot right where they come out of the head. If you can get it to run for 20-30 sec or so, they'll be too hot to touch (wet your finger first.... I use spit. :rolleyes:). If one's hot and the other's cold.... there ya go.
Handy to have a spritzer bottle of water in the shop. Used it a bunch during the Hondamatic wake up. stzzz, stzzz, dribble, stzzz well there's the problem LOL

Yes I would say it is running on one Cylinder.. pretty sure
It also looks a bit soft on the kickstarter. Nothing drastic but there should be more resistance especially after the first position
do you have oil in there ?
Kick back I would not be worried about before everything is dialled in
Fuel and spark
I can see a compression test coming up in my Crystal ball.

Yes I would say it is running on one Cylinder.. pretty sure
It also looks a bit soft on the kickstarter. Nothing drastic but there should be more resistance especially after the first position
do you have oil in there ?
Kick back I would not be worried about before everything is dialled in
Fuel and spark
I can see a compression test coming up in my Crystal ball.

I was using the decompression lever. It made a huge difference. without it on I can put almost my full body weight on the kick starter and not have it move.

And the bike does have fresh oil. The oil that came out of it looked super dirty but I didn't notice any engine parts mixed in. If I can't get it to run right with the air filters I might end up testing the compression as you said.

I was using the decompression lever. It made a huge difference. without it on I can put almost my full body weight on the kick starter and not have it move.

And the bike does have fresh oil. The oil that came out of it looked super dirty but I didn't notice any engine parts mixed in. If I can't get it to run right with the air filters I might end up testing the compression as you said.

OK that perhaps explains it.
I am not familiar with that design since it is not there on later models ( decompressor )
But if it is open i reckon it wont fire on that cylinder.
But again dont know how it is supposed to operate and close.
A little Oil in the cylinder bores. ?
Personally I would test kick without the decompressor .
It takes a little technique but not impossible
Perhaps dad can do it a couple of times.

Back