XS2 scrambler build

There's so much stuff rattling around it's hard to actually tell what the motor sounds like. Get everything secured so it doesn't rattle before the next video. It almost sounded to me like it was back to just one cylinder... at least when you revved it. But like I said, it was kinda hard to tell.

There's so much stuff rattling around it's hard to actually tell what the motor sounds like. Get everything secured so it doesn't rattle before the next video. It almost sounded to me like it was back to just one cylinder... at least when you revved it. But like I said, it was kinda hard to tell.

I know the rattling is my fault for having the tank, and a couple of other things lose but is the engine usually this shakey? I can't imagine going highway speeds on it

I believe it runs on both Cylinders Now but.
Ignition is off ( I believe ) to late a bit or something the throttle response will get better
Runs fine what is possible to hear on this.. .No smoke not any rattle to speak of nor any big vibrations.
A voltage reading across the battery when running to see if it is charging
I would put some oil on the chain at this point in time it might be replaced but I would still do it.
I would perhaps smear gasket chemical on the boots to seal them up for now.
Unless obviously beyond usability

Sorry for the late reply I was out of town for a couple of days. I just spent a few hours in the garage and managed to fix the leaky carb and a few other things. also, I got my battery charged so I should be able to get the first ride soon!

Today I ran the bike for about 15 minutes in my garage revving it up once and a while. There were no problems except for I had to install the mufflers on it to get it to start. I need to do some research on the whole straight pipe thing. I have heard people put washers at the end of the pipe to create backpressure but I honestly don't know if that works.

I got the petcocks in I have them on the tank but haven't cleaned them yet. Thanks again.

Tomorrow I will try to get a first ride video but All my neighbors usually have a 4th of July party so it might be too crowded on my street.

Anyways thanks for reading let me know if you need any of the parts I took off.

I believe it runs on both Cylinders Now but.
Ignition is off ( I believe ) to late a bit or something the throttle response will get better
Runs fine what is possible to hear on this.. .No smoke not any rattle to speak of nor any big vibrations.
A voltage reading across the battery when running to see if it is charging
I would put some oil on the chain at this point in time it might be replaced but I would still do it.
I would perhaps smear gasket chemical on the boots to seal them up for now.
Unless obviously beyond usability

Besides throttle response is there something to look for with the ignition timing? The bike is now able to run for 20 plus minutes so I should be able to use an ignition tester. My chain might be good for a quick down the street ride but before I do anything serious it's going to be replaced.

If you've got access to a timing light it will help you figure out if it's in time at idle as well as advancing like it should when you rev it. I never have gotten one over the years it's kind of funny that I've gotten by without getting one.

Besides throttle response is there something to look for with the ignition timing? The bike is now able to run for 20 plus minutes so I should be able to use an ignition tester. My chain might be good for a quick down the street ride but before I do anything serious it's going to be replaced.

If timing is to advanced there will be a harder note as in knocking more. In the pistons and downwards
The rev will change slightly getting slower ..
If it is to late it begins to shoot in the exhaust .and the rev also changes.
Somewhere in between thee is a position that works
By the earlier video I believe it is close perhaps right If so just leave it. there.
It appears to start well and idle so it is about right
Around there blipping the throttle gives better or worse response. No choke on of course
And engine at " normal " working temperature not to hot or cold.

Sorry again for the late reply I haven't been able to work on the bike for reasons. But I think I am good now. I managed to get a quick test ride with my external gas tank. I am waiting for petcock rebuild kits for my other. The bike felt super sluggish It didn't bog but I had it full throttle and it was doing 15mph. Obviously, there are a million reasons why that could be. I am going to check the compression then try to adjust the timing.

Also when I first tried to start the bike the clutch was stuck. If I put the bike in gear it would die. I tried a trick where I put the bike against my truck wheel and then popped it into second. it worked, the clutch does what it's supposed to do now. Do you think there is something wrong with the clutch? I heard it is a common thing when bikes sit but really couldn't figure out if the "fix" was a temporary thing or a permanent one.

I ordered a seat I know I should have waited but it's going to need one eventually. It should be here tomorrow. I have watched some videos and it looks like everyone welds the mounting brackets on. I really want to stick with my rule so any suggestions on a mounting option? Here a pic of the seat on an xs

download.png

TLDR:
My clutch was stuck disengaged I think I fixed it but don't know if it's temporary or permanent

Looking for advice about mounting the new seat without welding.

The bike is really low on power.

Since you've removed the mufflers you will be running pretty lean. You may have to go up a size or two on the main jets.

Since you've removed the mufflers you will be running pretty lean. You may have to go up a size or two on the main jets.

Funny story to get the bike to start I ended up putting the mufflers back on. it was still bogging a couple of minutes into the ride my left side muffler came since I just slide it on with my hands. Holy moly It was loud. My dad said it made the garage shake and I was 20 feet away ;). I probably am going to end up running some type of muffler since it's like a 7-minute ride out of my neighborhood and I will probably be riding mostly at the crack of dawn. Anyways tomorrow I will get fresh plugs and run them in the bike and post pictures of them to see how it's running.

Your clutch problem is pretty typical for an XS that's sat idle. Your fix should be more or less permanent.

Quick question How long should I run the bike with the new plugs to get a good reading?

I picked up the plugs last night the store didn't have ngk so I got auto light 63's there computer said it was a match. I ran the bike for just under 5 minutes and when I took the plugs out they almost look new.

Quick question How long should I run the bike with the new plugs to get a good reading?
Do a google search for reading spark plugs. It's a science/art form that can't be answered with one "how long" question.

It's definitely a science. If you want a general picture of overall health you need to ride it for quite a bit then check. Some people like to read them for a certain range and will run the bike through that range and shut it off then read the plugs on the side of the road. That's a little overkill I think.

I pulled my plugs out after following a guide on how to do it. My right side plug looked like it had some carbon build-up, my left side looked like it was barely used. I also noticed that my exhaust coming from the left side was cold or at least colder than the right side.

I managed to get those 2 screws that were stripped out and started adjusting the cam tensor then I tried adjusting the ignition timing but my timing light to come on for the bottom point ( the one that connects to the orange wire). I adjusted the top one fine. Also, I tried kicking over the bike and now I only getting spark on the right side. Any ideas what I messed up?

Back