XS2 Survivor resurection.

I considered rivets. My experience with them is they tend to loosen up unless large. Plus with the broken part at the bottom not a lot of support with just 2 rivets.
upload_2021-10-30_18-15-51.png
upload_2021-10-30_18-16-21.png

This should bring the bike up to date. Took the forks apart. De-greased everything. Glass bead blasted the lowers.
upload_2021-11-1_17-6-57.png

Then polished the right lower. Wasn't going for a show finish, just a decent polish. It still needs a coat of wax, I think it came out decent. Not sure how long it should take to polish a leg but I spent less than 3 hours on it. Much faster than when I hand sanded and then used the polisher.
upload_2021-11-1_17-8-36.png

By the end of the week forks should be back on.

This should bring the bike up to date. Took the forks apart. De-greased everything. Glass bead blasted the lowers.
View attachment 200928
Then polished the right lower. Wasn't going for a show finish, just a decent polish. It still needs a coat of wax, I think it came out decent. Not sure how long it should take to polish a leg but I spent less than 3 hours on it. Much faster than when I hand sanded and then used the polisher.
View attachment 200929
By the end of the week forks should be back on.

Got a guy here in town and restores triumphs - world class builder and racer (land speed record holder) but some of the bikes have chrome, paint and polish that is soo top notch it doesn’t look right on a restoration.

sometimes that showroom finish doesn’t fit with a bike of this time period.

Got a guy here in town and restores triumphs - world class builder and racer (land speed record holder) but some of the bikes have chrome, paint and polish that is soo top notch it doesn’t look right on a restoration.

sometimes that showroom finish doesn’t fit with a bike of this time period.
Exactly.
I want the bike to look good for it's age. I think a old well maintained bike is as good as it gets. I can appreciate a fully restored bike. But I really like a original bike. Too many restored bikes look better than they did new.
The other day when I ran into the salesman that sold my XS2 when it was new said the same thing. He likes original better than new. Back then the new ones were not perfect. As it has been said many times "They are only original once".

Some progress. Got the headlight bucket welded. Ground down the welds a little and made a washer to fill the weld gap. Didn't want to make it smooth as I wanted some weld left.
upload_2021-12-11_17-44-52.png
upload_2021-12-11_17-46-1.png

Found a problem with the rear fender stay. Cracked and split. So when I picked the bucket up I left the stay with him to weld. Yes I know the chrome will be burnt. Nice thing about a survivor is they are not perfect. Repairs will have been made.
upload_2021-12-11_17-57-23.png

Switch gear cleaned and back on. I did repaint the MC for the front brake. Also rebuilt it. It was pretty corroded on the outside. Also original heatlight bucket back on.
upload_2021-12-11_17-59-15.png

upload_2021-12-11_18-0-22.png

As it sits. Removed swing arm and the bushings are factory and in perfect shape. Swing arm bolt and tube came out with absolutely no problem. Swing arm was full of grease. Since it will not be a performance bike going to reuse swing arm bushings.
upload_2021-12-11_18-4-1.png

Working on rear hub and cleaning parts.

Last edited:
Got a few more things done. Rear wheel is back together with new S.S spokes and bearings. The center is glass bead blasted and Cerakoted. The rest blasted and lightly polished.
1641935364378.png

Rear fender and tail light back on, swingarm and shocks also. Rear shocks cleaned up pretty good. New tires on the wheels and they are back on.
Rear fender stay is a spare as I haven't got the original welded yet.
Next up is pop the motor out and most likely go through the top end.
1641935783419.png
1641935746708.png
1641935610048.png
1641935571833.png

Back