XS400 Left Cylinder Won't Fire!

Huddlebob

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Carburetor is freshly cleaned! I could barely get the bike to turn over, and when it did, it stalled if I didn't have the throttle open (even with the idle speed screw all the way in). I let it run like this for about thirty seconds then shut it off. Out of curiosity i felt the pipes after this: right pipe was hot, left pipe was completely cold, like that cylinder wasn't firing.

I considered using a test light to adjust timing, but my bike is an '82. No points!!

Another thing is that gas doesn't want to flow freely down the line. I replaced the vacuum petcock with a new gravity one, so there's no air line going to the carb boot. When the fuel line is removed, gas comes right out, so it's not a clogged filter. But when I clamp the line on, only a small amount of gas will come out.

Anyone have any ideas?? I need to get this thing running ASAP!

Then maybe go to the XS400 forum where people with more knowledge about your bike can help?

Then maybe go to the XS400 forum where people with more knowledge about your bike can help?
Ah I posted there too but the responses are usually a bit slower. I've had some luck on here before just because of the similarity of the bikes

Pull the plug on the cold side. Stick it back in the HT cap. Let it earth against the fins and kick the bike over with the ignition on. Have you got a spark? If not can you get a spark by changing to a new plug or the plug from the side which does fire? Is the non firing side getting wet with fuel?

To run a bike needs 1. Compression, 2. fuel and 3 a spark at roughly the right time

If you've got all of those the bike will usually fire, or at least try to. Sounds like you have fuel problems but you should ensure you have a good spark on both sides cos its the easiest thing to check out first.

Back