XS650 1976c Right Cylinder intermittent firing linked to spark plug lead.

Symo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976C xs650 which has a problem linked to the right cylinder. The bike will run great on both cylinders only if I just rest the right spark plug lead ( not connected to spark plug)on the top of the plug. If I connect it correctly to the plug the bike only runs on the left side. Pull the lead off and just keep it a half an inch of the plug they both fire. It would appear that its earthing the plug lead as soon as you connect it correctly. Does that make sense? I have swapped leads and caps between both sides but the same problem is on the right side no matter what I change including coils. Help it's driving me insane.

I think the problem is in the right plug itself. As I remember, in a conventional points/condenser system, if you create an air gap between the plug wire and the plug the amperage to the plug increases and a fouled or faulty plug might fire. If I were you I'd replace the right plug with just about any old plug you have laying around and see what happens.

You said you changed the leads around but did you change the plugs over? Obviously your coil is working if you can get a spark to jump

In posts 2-3 perhaps the plugs were changed. If HT leads, coils, caps and plugs have been changed/swapped, it follows that one should go back a step in the system to the points - only other differential between right and left??

Back