XS650 back on the road - almost

Willholmania

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this for three weeks now, since swapping it for a T140 Bonneville I'd lost the love for. It's a an absolute joy to work on compared with the Triumph (also a '77 bike), partly because it's in much better condition and also because the build quality is in a different league. I'd still love a Bonneville one day but I think I might actually get to ride the XS.

Since it had been standing for some years before coming in from Ohio, I was expecting to have to do more to get it up and running, but it was very easy. All I've done is swill out the tank and carbs, set the points, clean both oil filters and that had it running sweetly. I've rebuilt the brake master cylinder and repainted it, and fitted a new piston and seal to the caliper. I also had a braided brake line made. I bled the brakes using a syringe to squirt fluid through the calliper bleed nipple up into the master cylinder - took all of 30 seconds and the brake lever feels spot on.

I've also fitted new inner tubes, rim tape and a pair of Avon Roadriders, which makes the bike good to go – except I'm waiting for DVLA to issue me with a registration document. Until I get this I cannot get a number plate, or insure the bike for road use. This process normally takes about 10 days but I've heard reports of it taking up to three months during these Covid times. Which is a real pain as although I applied for the doc the day I git the bike (Sept 7) I might not be road legal until early November, which isn't a time I want to be riding a classic bike around in the UK.

Attachments

• 62117413543__FEC99ABD-1F59-4BB7-B561-FD926E4F6867.jpeg
    62117413543__FEC99ABD-1F59-4BB7-B561-FD926E4F6867.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3396.jpeg
    IMG_3396.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3397.jpeg
    IMG_3397.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3452.jpeg
    IMG_3452.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3484.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3494.jpeg
    IMG_3494.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3495.jpeg
    IMG_3495.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 177
Just a heads up.........UK and European Standards came out with twin front disks. They are the small rotors so make sure you get the larger ones.

Note where the caliper lower mount is situated on Euro models.......small rotor
35mm forks US Euro.jpg

Thanks. It's in amazing nick for a 43-year-old bike. I can only guess but I'd say it did its 14k miles fairly early on in its life - first 10 years maybe - then sat at the back of someone's dry, warm garage for many years. I struck lucky getting it. Kinda makes up for the Bonneville it replaced, which was a dog.

Ride the bike some with the current single disc and you may find it perfectly adequate. I've never felt the need for a second disc, even though I have most of the parts on hand. You can improve it a little bit more if you drill the disc .....

Sl0Vak9.jpg

Your '77 was the first year for the 35mm forks. You can improve their function by doing what's called the "Minton Mods" .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/minton-mod-observations.25588/

They improve the damping action. That link explains it all. Basically, it's a free mod. If you're not satisfied, then you can start throwing money at it (springs, emulators, etc.).

On your front brakes, there are several ways to improve the performance. One way is to add the second disc and use the stock master cylinder This doubles the amount of caliper clamping force on the rotors with the same amount of force on the lever.
Or you can use a master cylinder with a smaller bore.
The stock M/C you have is a 14 mm. going to a 12 or even 11 mm bore gives you a braking force about the same as the dual disc. This set up adds less weight to the forks.
This weight difference can effect the way the suspension reacts to the road. The heavier weight slow the response. I very skilled rider can notice this difference when riding hard. For most riders during most riding I doubt it's noticeable.
Leo

The double disc idea often comes up with guys who do look their new XS over and come to that left fork leg there with extra mount holes. Double disking the front end completes the look and symmetrical balance of the XS in my opinion. Im sure one well functioning front disc is plenty of braking.
Those double disks catch the eyes !

I have dual disc brakes on my ‘83 and a single disc on my ‘81. The braking difference is extremely different. That’s not to say the single disc setup on my ‘81 doesn’t need some freshening though. The dual disc is almost an immediate stopping power with very little effort. The single disc feels much less responsive and spongy. Any tips? Sorry for the thread hijack btw but it’s on topic!

I have dual disc brakes on my ‘83 and a single disc on my ‘81. The braking difference is extremely different. That’s not to say the single disc setup on my ‘81 doesn’t need some freshening though. The dual disc is almost an immediate stopping power with very little effort. The single disc feels much less responsive and spongy. Any tips? Sorry for the thread hijack btw but it’s on topic!
I’ve got an Eleven Special (in case you didn’t know). The front brakes weigh about 20 lbs. Those cast Yamaha wheels are heavy too. That’s a whole bunch of unsprung weight. It’s kind of like an old four wheel drive truck with straight axles going over speed bumps. If you can make it stop without adding all that weight, so much the better.

Back