XS650 cafe first time build

Dakon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I'm starting this thread as my first build, last year I picked up "friends" failed project, he graduated from university and ended up moving to Miami and no longer had the space to keep the bike, he said if I picked it up I could have it and all the aftermarket parts he had bought. I didn't know him too well, but he was an awful builder, the bike sat outside for months and I can only take his word that it ran before he ripped the electronics off and started taking a grinder to all the tabs and footpegs. I'm currently a junior in university and live in Tampa FL, so I've mikes xs and dime city in my backyard. Honestly, the bike is a little more than a box of parts at this point but I would love to bring it back to life. I'm going cafe as my father is from England and the idea of simple and fast is a good one.

Now more on the bike. It's a 1979 xs 650 special II, I have most of the stock parts and some extras the PO had from before, as I had said he had taken a grinder to it and removed most of the tabs, the oil looks fine and I assume he was the one to change it so who knows. I do not have the stock exhaust pipes/muffler but a set of speedster pipes from Hugh's handbuild, I want to go to a 2 to 1 system and am willing to trade. I've got a 12v 8cell antigravity battery and the whole mikes xs charge system, so that's the perm magnet alternator, reg and rect, and the entire pma ignition system. New universal led signals and taillight, as well as a headlight without the housing. The PO also had retro tires put on the mag wheels, but I want to swap those out for spoked and modern tires.

Right now I'm currently trying to get the electrical system worked out so that I can start up the bike I've been following some diagrams I found on here but I need to replace a cell on the antigravity, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Next up on the list is the fuel system, the tank is rusted on the inside, but nothing a little rust remover shouldn't be able t take care of, I've heard of a liquid epoxy that can be poured into the tank as well to prevent any more rusting. I also need to rebuild the front and rear breaks aw well as the master cylinders which are disgusting, the brake lines seem to be new but since they sat outside so long they've got rust on the banjo bolts. Then its time for repairing the frame and so forth.

I doubt anything will ever go to plan, it is my first build first bike I've owned personally, I have my license and such but never owned a bike.

My main question is there anything that I should do that I mentioned earlier, I was told it was a good idea to switch to progressive springs and tapered bearings or I've seen that many people will swap out the front end entirely.

Also, i did not pay for any of the parts listed above

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 00a0a_akrdMmQrlRK_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_akrdMmQrlRK_1200x900.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 00U0U_jbVhdJa5pY9_1200x900.jpg
    00U0U_jbVhdJa5pY9_1200x900.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 00y0y_deJ0CcXKwfe_1200x900.jpg
    00y0y_deJ0CcXKwfe_1200x900.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 272
  • 00Z0Z_avNN0hCPT21_1200x900.jpg
    00Z0Z_avNN0hCPT21_1200x900.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20181124_235648.jpg
    IMG_20181124_235648.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20181207_181225.jpg
    IMG_20181207_181225.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20181207_181249.jpg
    IMG_20181207_181249.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20181207_182204.jpg
    IMG_20181207_182204.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20181207_182928.jpg
    IMG_20181207_182928.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Looks to be in great shape all things considered. Could be worse.

Yeah, I'm thankfully not having to put in much money for parts, it's just a headache trying to get it in a condition to start. I just ran into the battery issue this morning

Welcome. You have a good start for a decent café bike but I would reconsider that rear tire.

Welcome to the party, Dakon! "Failed projects" are a good way to start. Extra parts, partially (or completely) disassembled, and a blank canvas. +1 what ThatXS650Guy said about the rear tire. It may be a classic "chopper-ish" tread design, but if you're building a cafe, it's not the best choice for "carving" corners. There are "stickier" tires out there. You just have to do your homework. It shouldn't take much to get it to start. These motors are only slightly more complicated than a lawn mower, and a reputation for being "bomb-proof". You'd be surprised how roached out they can be, and still fire up. They just can't not run! This forum is the greatest collection of knowledge there is about these bikes, and everyone here will help with any questions you may have. There's no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid mistake (for not asking!). Take lots of pictures, and keep us updated (we're nosy! :laugh: ). Again, welcome to the party! Best regards and wishes!
Tebo

If the stock charging system is there and intact, I would suggest trying that one out first. It's a very good system. The PMA is just a different system and no better, and it has it's own set of problems.

If the stock charging system is there and intact, I would suggest trying that one out first. It's a very good system. The PMA is just a different system and no better, and it has it's own set of problems.

Unfortunately, the PMA was already installed and the original unit is not to be found but I have quite a bit of experience with wiring and electronics so I'm hoping that it won't be too difficult and as I mentioned Mikes xs is in my backyard and that's where I believe the unit to originate from

Addressing the concern with the tire, I mentioned that I wanted to replace it, I'm glad that people share my opinion on the matter.
Anything else I should be on the look for, this is my first experience with carbs and i have no idea what to look out for, I'm told to stick with the stock airbox and not to bother with pods, and should I even keep my current carbs, It seems to be unanimous that the CV carbs are pretty trash and should be replaced if possible.

Thank you all for a warm introduction

Sorry Dakon. I missed that about the rear tire. Yes, by all means replace it. Not sure how tough spokes will be to fit since yours probably has a rear disc brake. If so, that complicates things somewhat. The mags can be made to look OK on a café bike although the 16" rear is a challenge. I usually advise to get it rideable and safe first and then go from there. That way you can figure out what you like/don't like while you are enjoying it.

Just like the stock charging system, the stock carbs work fine too. Your '78-'79 set of BS38s were some of the best ones put on the 650 as far as stock carbs go. If you can't fix and tune stock carbs, what makes you think high performance aftermarket carbs are going to be any easier?

As far as the airbox vs pods thing goes, I've tried both and don't find one any better than the other. The pods are just simpler and easier to live with. I think they would be more fitting for a cafe where you're stripping things down.

I doubt anything will ever go to plan, it is my first build first bike I've owned personally, I have my license and such but never owned a bike.

Yeah, I'm thankfully not having to put in much money for parts, it's just a headache trying to get it in a condition to start. I just ran into the battery issue this morning
Welcome, keep posting. This is going to be fun lol :D

Sorry Dakon. I missed that about the rear tire. Yes, by all means replace it. Not sure how tough spokes will be to fit since yours probably has a rear disc brake. If so, that complicates things somewhat. The mags can be made to look OK on a café bike although the 16" rear is a challenge. I usually advise to get it rideable and safe first and then go from there. That way you can figure out what you like/don't like while you are enjoying it.

No worries, the cs650 cafe I've gotten the most inspiration from is Cognito motos build and I believe they offer some spoked hubs with a disk conversion, but they're a bit pricey

Just like the stock charging system, the stock carbs work fine too. Your '78-'79 set of BS38s were some of the best ones put on the 650 as far as stock carbs go. If you can't fix and tune stock carbs, what makes you think high performance aftermarket carbs are going to be any easier?
As far as the airbox vs pods thing goes, I've tried both and don't find one any better than the other. The pods are just simpler and easier to live with. I think they would be more fitting for a cafe where you're stripping things down.

Awesome, that makes life easier for me that airbox is a bit bulky for my tastes, same with the carbs if they're not broke ill stick with them.

Welcome, keep posting. This is going to be fun lol :D

Wish me luck!! I'm hoping that with the mass of knowledge and wisdom here it will make up form my cluelessness.

This weekend I will try to get it started and post a video, the battery is still busted, thankfully my girlfriend is an electrical engineer and technician, so she said it wouldn't be too hard to replace the cell. For some reason, the PO also had a capacitor for a battery delete, so I'll probably use that to get it started and make sure that there's no blown rings or gaskets that will need replacing.

Tires might be the last item you buy as sometimes projects go dormant and there ya are with a nice fresh tire turning into a hockey puck.

Tires might be the last item you buy as sometimes projects go dormant and there ya are with a nice fresh tire turning into a hockey puck.

Yeah it's definitely low on the list, I'm hoping to make sure it runs well. Hoping to go with 17"s front and rear but that way later

If you're going for a café racer look, why not go for 19" front and 18" rear? Just asking.

I expect it’s because the Cognito Moto build Dakon referred to has 17’s font & rear

Ah! That would make sense. Just had a look at the Cogito Moto bike - nice.

I had been thinking about the old café race days when people ran Tritons etcetera.

I expect it’s because the Cognito Moto build Dakon referred to has 17’s font & rear
If you're going for a café racer look, why not go for 19" front and 18" rear? Just asking.
Right on the money, I'm planning to keep the mag wheels until I have some more disposable income, although 19 front 18 rear sounds good as well. I had only been looking at Cognito motos conversion and by default, use warp 9 wheels which are only 17. But I could just get the hub and purchase the rims myself though lacing them myself seems daunting, but I'm sure there is a youtube video on it.

But I could just get the hub and purchase the rims myself though lacing them myself seems daunting, but I'm sure there is a youtube video on it.

Well, better than that - there's a discussion on XS650 right now - have a look at http://www.xs650.com/threads/replacing-rusted-spokes.56084/

Have to say I've never laced a wheel but it's something I'd like to try. Might replace 16" rim on my Honda NX250 with 17" to give better tyre choice. Speaking as somebody who has never done the job it appears as though taking photos, making notes and being organised helps a lot.

Well, better than that - there's a discussion on XS650 right now - have a look at http://www.xs650.com/threads/replacing-rusted-spokes.56084/

Have to say I've never laced a wheel but it's something I'd like to try. Might replace 16" rim on my Honda NX250 with 17" to give better tyre choice. Speaking as somebody who has never done the job it appears as though taking photos, making notes and being organised helps a lot.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely give it a look, there's definitely a few things I need to do before going to wheels, I need to get the engine running I went to go check in the ignition system since I'm working on the electrical system and just found loose screws inside the cover just sitting there, so there are a few things I need to do. After that, its time to strip the bike, doing some fabrication, welding grinding and such. Then off to the powder coaters for a matte black frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_183440.jpg
    IMG_20181209_183440.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 270
Yes, those 2 screws lock the timing plate in the proper position for correct timing. You need those, lol. Usually, for initial install and set-up, you lock the timing plate down about in the middle of it's adjustment range. That's usually close enough for the bike to start and then you can put a timing light on it and dial the timing in exactly. That Pamco (or Pamco type) ignition can't be set statically (motor off, engine rotated by hand). You need to have the motor running and use a timing light on it.

Back