timtoffler

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I recently found a 1972 XS650 in the trash and I am currently rebuilding it. All that is left is the wiring (I am building a chopper so it will only have headlight and tail light with no other accessories. I am picking up circuit breakers and I was wondering if I should use 10amp or 15amp manual reset breakers? This is my first attempt at rewiring a custom bike from scratch. That being said, I have wire, connectors, battery, (circuit breakers soon), and a 3 position key. Is there anything I am forgetting? Any help with a parts list would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Timtoffler, welcome to the forum. You will find some wiring diagrams in the Tech section, that's what the thread is called -

https://www.xs650.com/threads/some-wiring-diagrams.61/

You might find looking at these will help you plan your wiring and what you need. Can't answer your question about circuit breakers as I have no experience, my bike has fuses. Good luck, ask questions, post photos, Cheers, Raymond

PS what's the source of electric power - if you're using an alternator, you'll need rectifier/regulator

Last edited:
I recently found a 1972 XS650 in the trash and I am currently rebuilding it. All that is left is the wiring (I am building a chopper so it will only have headlight and tail light with no other accessories. I am picking up circuit breakers and I was wondering if I should use 10amp or 15amp manual reset breakers? This is my first attempt at rewiring a custom bike from scratch. That being said, I have wire, connectors, battery, (circuit breakers soon), and a 3 position key. Is there anything I am forgetting? Any help with a parts list would be greatly appreciated.
Yep, as Raymond states you will need a regulator/rectifier that is compatible with your charging system. Depending on the schematic design used, you'll want one 20A breaker (between battery and key switch) and perhaps two-three 10A breakers for lights and ignition. If you employ an electric starter, you'll need a solenoid and typically a 30A breaker on the actuating circuit.

Hi Timtoffler, welcome to the forum. You will find some wiring diagrams in the Tech section, that's what the thread is called -

You might find looking at these will help you plan your wiring and what you need. Can't answer your question about circuit breakers as I have no experience, my bike has fuses. Good luck, ask questions, post photos, Cheers, Raymond

PS what's the source of electric power - if you're using an alternator, you'll need rectifier/regulator
Thankt

Thank you this will help get me started! Yes I am running an alternator. I just ordered a rectifier and regulator. Looking forward to being a part of this forum!

Yep, as Raymond states you will need a regulator/rectifier that is compatible with your charging system. Depending on the schematic design used, you'll want one 20A breaker (between battery and key switch) and perhaps two-three 10A breakers for lights and ignition. If you employ an electric starter, you'll need a solenoid and typically a 30A breaker on the actuating circuit.
thank you for the response! Regulator and rectifier are on their way!

Back