XS650.com Software Update

Fred,

The server backup was running and ran out of disk space. Because everything locked up including the email server, I wasn't notified. A lot more space is being used right now because of the test site, old site (mostly attachments and album pictures), new site, and back up files. I'll be changing some thing around so this doesn't happen again. Sorry about the down time.

That mysterious black box occurred only a few times, randomly, yesterday.

That kind of inconsistency reminds me of those rare opportunistic malware popups, wanting you to 'click' on them, in order to do their thing. If you get one, watch your net traffic icon for unwarranted backround activity...

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to have to assume this is all on your end.

The enlarged image popup for attached files was larger on the previous platform.
Is this the correct size on this new XenForo?
View attachment 85914

That image appears much larger for me.
upload_2016-6-26_16-51-30.png

Just found out you can paste print-screens! How cool is that?

maybe a dumb question but how do you delete conversations? for example, in my inbox the same convo comes up lots because of each message. i usually delete most except for the last 2 or 3 most recent. is this doable? or is it possible to condense it so the same convo doesn't spam the whole first page of the inbox?

maybe a dumb question but how do you delete conversations? for example, in my inbox the same convo comes up lots because of each message. i usually delete most except for the last 2 or 3 most recent. is this doable? or is it possible to condense it so the same convo doesn't spam the whole first page of the inbox?

Conversations work differently than they used to. They are condensed into a single "thread" and aren't sent as single messages anymore. Old private messages that were imported still show up as single messages. If you want, you can leave conversations so they don't show up in your list. They'll show up again if someone in the conversation sends a new reply however. I'll start a conversation with you so you can see how it works.

Ok, then it's probably part of XenForo's "Desktop vs Mobile" display detection. My tablet is always detected as "Mobile"...

Xenforo doesn't detect the user agent for that. It should be based on screen width. Heres that image on my tablet with the browser on mobile view.

Screenshot_2016-06-27-09-20-11.png

Just speculating, but I suspect 2M's mysterious black boxes may be the info boxes that pop-up when you mouse over a link.
I believe they are generated by javascript and occasionally they may not be drawing in correctly with whatever browser version he is using on his tablet.

Email notifications weren't working about an hour. I believe the issue has been resolved.

Query re 'New Posts' section, could you explain how it works.
When I first logged on to the new site (if memory serves well) there were some forty pages in the section. It then went down to three pages then up to six yesterday with a couple of threads on it and today has grown as new threads are added to page 1.
Would it be possible for old threads to drop off this section a pre determined time after it has been viewed?

Apart from that the site looks good and thanks for the hard work you have put into setting this up.:shootme:

I'm pretty new to the forum. I'm glad to see you guys haven't sold out to a big corporation. One of my car forums did that and it's been a headache ever since. They have plastered ads all over the site, the admins are a rotation of non-responsive people that have zero interest in cars. Yay for Travis. Keep up the good work.

Just speculating, but I suspect 2M's mysterious black boxes may be the info boxes that pop-up when you mouse over a link.
I believe they are generated by javascript and occasionally they may not be drawing in correctly with whatever browser version he is using on his tablet.

Researching this, the problem's on my end. Pretty close there, cycleranger, it has something to do with my tablet's old Android browser and it's handling of HTML5 java code, as noted by another researcher:

" HTML5+JS+Webkit=brwoser crash. If server asks device to draw null object, and manufacturer has not written patch, device crashes. Samsung won't fix this."

My HTML5 compliance score is low, similar to IE8. So, I've turned-off javascript for now.

I have cats, no mice, so I can't *mouse* over a link...
ComputB10.jpg

Disabling JS will lose you some features but it will cure that annoying typing delay on older systems/browsers.
On my old single-core shop system with JS enabled I can type half a sentence before the text appears!

Query re 'New Posts' section, could you explain how it works.
When I first logged on to the new site (if memory serves well) there were some forty pages in the section. It then went down to three pages then up to six yesterday with a couple of threads on it and today has grown as new threads are added to page 1.
Would it be possible for old threads to drop off this section a pre determined time after it has been viewed?

What I do is click the New Posts button, scroll through the listings to see if there are any messages I want to read in full. If I find one, I click on it, read it, reply if I want, then use my browser's Back button to return to the listings page. I do that rather than clicking the New Posts again, because that would return me to the first page of the listings, and I'd have to scroll through everything I've already seen. When I reach the end of the listings, I do click New Posts, to see if anything has come in since I started. Once I've read all I wanted, I click Mark Forums Read. This marks all posts read, including any I didn't bother to click on, and thus, I'm reset to zero for the next time. When I return later, clicking New Posts only shows me things that came in since I last visited.

There may be a setting to drop these at some pre-determined interval; I'll leave Travis to answer that, but this work a treat for me.

Thanks for that, I have just stumbled on it.

I know it probably isn't fair to compare this with other sites but one I visit automatically updates the New Post once the section has been visited. On returning only posts added since ones last visit are displayed, I accept it is perhaps arguable if that would suit everyone.

I visit one that has that feature,and I can see how people might like it. Personally, I prefer to have the control of a setup such as this one, so I can decide. For instance, if I visit, but don't finish scrolling through the list, I'd miss some messages that wouldn't appear when I come back. My way, I can leave them for later. To each his own.

There's also a Recent Posts feature, which doesn't depend on whether you've read them or not. You might see how you like that.

Threads automatically drop off the new posts list after a month.

Also there is a break in the list of threads that says "Threads below this have not been updated since your last visit but have unread messages." So it is tracking your visit, and showing you everything updated since your last visit and before your last visit that you still haven't read. I personally don't really use the New Posts feature as much as others might. I tend to look at what I want and watch a thread or reply to it if I want to follow it.

Does the new software support Google search? Maybe its just me, but I found that I got better search results using the old Google search...

Back