XS650 Craigslist postings depository

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/olathe-vintage-bsa-chopper/7349622794.html

I think I may have to snap this one up:yikes:
00Q0Q_fVFTtutzVfhz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I don’t know how familiar you are with BSA’s. The unit construction A65 motor had one potentially severe flaw.
The timing side of the motor ( right side? ) the crank runs in a plain bearing / bushing. This bearing is prone to failure, from what I’ve read, it is at the maximum load limit for it’s given size, and once any wear occurs, oil pressure drops and the bearing fails. Also during extended high speed operation it can fail from oil starvation. There was a British company SRM Classic Bikes that would machine the case and fit the crank with a proper roller bearing, that was said to greatly extend the life.
I was schooled on these short comings by an old fellow who used to own a British Bike dealership and raced them when he was younger. He told me they could be a fine Sunday rider, just don’t push them too hard or get them too hot.
If you have an interest, here is a good discussion on a BSA forum about the pros and cons of that conversion from guys who own BSA’s. Note: several argue that modern oil and frequent oil changes make the plain bearings quite acceptable.
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=12257.0

I don’t know how familiar you are with BSA’s. The unit construction A65 motor had one potentially severe flaw.
The timing side of the motor ( right side? ) the crank runs in a plain bearing / bushing. This bearing is prone to failure, from what I’ve read, it is at the maximum load limit for it’s given size, and once any wear occurs, oil pressure drops and the bearing fails. Also during extended high speed operation it can fail from oil starvation. There was a British company SRM Classic Bikes that would machine the case and fit the crank with a proper roller bearing, that was said to greatly extend the life.
I was schooled on these short comings by an old fellow who used to own a British Bike dealership and raced them when he was younger. He told me they could be a fine Sunday rider, just don’t push them too hard or get them too hot.
If you have an interest, here is a good discussion on a BSA forum about the pros and cons of that conversion from guys who own BSA’s. Note: several argue that modern oil and frequent oil changes make the plain bearings quite acceptable.
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=12257.0
Interesting... Definitely something to look at. The wife doesn't seem to enthusiastic about me dragging another bike home:whistle: so I think this one might go to somebody else...:( I've worked on plenty of Triumphs but never a BSA, I was certainly unaware of the bearing issues.

Interesting... Definitely something to look at. The wife doesn't seem to enthusiastic about me dragging another bike home:whistle: so I think this one might go to somebody else...:( I've worked on plenty of Triumphs but never a BSA, I was certainly unaware of the bearing issues.
Saw that last night.... got excited..... got the same cold water poured on me...... :(

Read a little on it. A single cam, 4 valve thumper with 2 carbs... one normal slide and one CV. Gear driven balance shaft so vibes were tolerable for a one lunger. Performance weren't nothing to write home about but there was aftermarket stuff that made it come alive. Pretty light at 350-375lbs... good handling.... I'd like to have one. :geek:

Last edited:
In the write up it claims it is just short of the ton.........on the spread sheet it claims 171kph which is 10 kilometers over the ton.......doesn't matter if it will cruise at 75mph all day and get 80mpg....6 speed and with the US seat a claim of 300 mile ride in a day comfortably..whats not to like...........reliable as well.

A while back i was reading about them in a local bike mag, (now obsolete since the covid struck), these bike were touted to be an appreciating classic worth collecting.

Yamaha XJ400RJ (XS400R?)....400 Seca Pretty neat bikes, I'd like to have one.
upload_2021-7-13_9-30-16.jpeg

Last edited:
Back