XS650 Craigslist postings depository

The Virago was one of my favorite motors when I worked at a Yamaha dealership back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Thats exactly when I worked at a Yamaha dealership too.

I remember the first 550 & 750 Seca, the Virago series...especially the weird enclosed chain European 920.

The first YZ465...what a beast!

The watercooled YZ125 with radiator mounted to the triple clamps.

What an exciting time to work at a Yamaha dealership...great memories. 😉👍

I remember the first 550 & 750 Seca, the Virago series...especially the weird enclosed chain European 920.
I LOOOOVVVEDD that weird XV920RH with the big headlight. Also the SR/TT/XT500, the Daytona RD400, the DT400...

Lots of RD200s with clogged jets from using Mexican gas (kept us in business).

Last edited:
I just now perused the Bring A Trailer ad that bike was listed on....

Did I read between the lines correctly...that was the Peter Egan's bike??!! 😲

If so, I've read and seen pictures of that bike over the years in his many writings.

To say Im a huge, huge fan of his would be a major understatement. Besides reading all his articles in Cycle World my whole life, I have all his books...even his British car books.

I love his writings and his tastes...he truly "gets it". 😍

I just now perused the Bring A Trailer ad that bike was listed on....

Did I read between the lines correctly...that was the Peter Egan's bike??!! 😲

If so, I've read and seen pictures of that bike over the years in his many writings.

To say Im a huge, huge fan of his would be a major understatement. Besides reading all his articles in Cycle World my whole life, I have all his books...even his British car books.

I love his writings and his tastes...he truly "gets it". 😍

Congratulations @jpdevol ! I saw you talking about this bike earlier, but I didn’t know you were really in the hunt! I also remember Peter Egan having a love affair with this bike, so much so that after he sold the one he had, he missed it so much he bought another one.

I saw the Peter Egan reference on Bring a Trailer, but I don’t believe it was a reference to this bike. I think it was someone else who had Peter Egans old bike and was wondering what it would be worth.

Enjoy your new ( literally new ) bike JP ! 😃

Thank You. Hunt: well, I wasn't really - it's been on my list for several years - this really nice one showed up and sat for days at a bargain price; so, ya know, what the hell.....

Threw in a bid yesterday am and some prick shows up six minutes before close (now I'm thinkin it's mine) and jacks me another 6K - still decent price, but not stolen. Online auctions.....:banghead::banghead:

And...not Peter's bike, but it only has 137 miles on it:shrug: It'll have more very soon....gggGary will break it in for me, then I'll be doing 100's at a clip😁

Last edited:
Threw in a bid yesterday am and some prick shows up six minutes before close (now I'm thinkin it's mine) and jacks me another 6K - still decent price, but not stolen. Online auctions.....:banghead::banghead:

Yeah I was following another auction the other day and it was just like that, the car didn’t get hardly any action until the last 5 minutes then it just went through the roof!

Yeah I was following another auction the other day and it was just like that, the car didn’t get hardly any action until the last 5 minutes then it just went through the roof!
I expect a certain amount of that. Call me old-fashioned, but the last minute stuff is one thing (and I anticipated the previous bidder jumping back in) but I think it's poor form (if you intend to bid) to place your first bid with just six minutes left

I play auctions that way. I decide my max price early. I don’t bid. I don’t look. Enter that max bid at the end. If that number is already too low, I hang my head and walk away.

If there’s a book on online auction etiquette, I didn’t read it. I’m playing with small fries anyway.

That's the way I bid too. With Ebay, you put you max bid in and they up the your bid the min. until you run out of bid money or buy the product.
I bought a truck from an auction company in Denver. I put in my max. bid and bought it for a lot less than my max bid. prolly pissed off the other bidders, but, hey they could do the same.

Back when you could, I used a proxy bid service on ebay. Won a lot of auctions and lost a few when the bid didn't go through too.

It's like racing, the winner is only the guy in front at the checkered flag...........
Used to run an annual auction at my building supply store. There is about ZERO honor in auction crowds, don't trust the auctioneer either.......
But yeah I'll throw an early bid in just to put a watch on the auction.

Back