XS650 Direct fork tubes

RC4MAN

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Had an old basically trashed set of '74 model 34mm forks laying about. Tubes were rusty and pitted, lower legs heavily corroded/oxidized and wasn't intending to use them for anything. Then a small short track project bike popped up, British single, and I've got plenty of front XS hubs and 19' hoops so figured get a set of new tubes, clean up the lowers and use them.
Started looking online. Mike's XS had 70-73 tubes but not the later 34mm, XS650 Direct had the Later ones but not the early ones.
Prices were fairly comparable and I figured they're all Chinese anyway for the price, $109 a pair, so ordered a set. From Canada they arrived in only a few days.
Disassembled the forks last night and pulled the new tubes from the decent packaging, individually wrapped in oiled paper, then plastic sleeve, then in a nice fitted cardboard box. Pretty impressed so far.
At a casual glance they looked pretty good but on closer inspection I noticed little pock marks in the ground finish of the tubes seal area. Not a lot, just individual spots along the tube.
I figure there will be some weepage over time. For my purpose the price and the abuse they'll get I'll keep and use them but not sure I'd want them for a restoration or daily runner.

Back