Evang1ja

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for a 1970’s XS for my first bike. I love the 70’s style/reliability. Love the XSR700 but kind of want something a little more classic and economical. If you could please help me find something similar I’d really appreciate it. I live around the metro Detroit area and am willing to travel a little for the right price/look but would prefer to stay semi local. If you could please let me know if you know of anything around or how I could go about finding something ASAP I’d really appreciate it. I’m 27 and am looking to get some riding in this season and have something that will last for years to come. Please help with any leads. I really enjoy the 1975 XS650 look.

Thanks ,
Joe E

Attachments

• BE7776E1-EAD9-425F-A3C7-D57C3C2C48A0.jpeg
    BE7776E1-EAD9-425F-A3C7-D57C3C2C48A0.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 246
Hi Evang1ja - welcome to XS650.com!

You'll find lots of great people and tons of good advice and help here - just ask questions and post pictures. Used bikes (duhhhh - they're all used at this point - 35 years-on) come up nearly every day and many of them look good. Watch the thread entitled "Craigslist Depository" - Forum members post adverts there quite often.

FWIW - I agree that the 1975 XS650B model is about the prettiest and sales must have been good that year because they do come up. Just be sure you're not looking at a chopped bike that is simply registered as a B-model. That happens all the time and you could spend time and effort on a bike that has no rear suspension, no front brake and resembles an XS650B about as much Roseanne resembles Demi Moore.

The key thing is to buy as complete a bike as you can find. Aside from the engine and frame, the most difficult parts to find nowadays are generally exhausts (pipes and mufflers) because they were either dumped for "styling" purposes or because they rusted out. Systems do appear occasionally - but not at-all often and if they're any good - they'll be expensive.

Cheers,

Pete
(just across the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, ON)

Hi Evang1ja - welcome to XS650.com!

You'll find lots of great people and tons of good advice and help here - just ask questions and post pictures. Used bikes (duhhhh - they're all used at this point - 35 years-on) come up nearly every day and many of them look good. Watch the thread entitled "Craigslist Depository" - Forum members post adverts there quite often.

FWIW - I agree that the 1975 XS650B model is about the prettiest and sales must have been good that year because they do come up. Just be sure you're not looking at a chopped bike that is simply registered as a B-model. That happens all the time and you could spend time and effort on a bike that has no rear suspension, no front brake and resembles an XS650B about as much Roseanne resembles Demi Moore.

The key thing is to buy as complete a bike as you can find. Aside from the engine and frame, the most difficult parts to find nowadays are generally exhausts (pipes and mufflers) because they were either dumped for "styling" purposes or because they rusted out. Systems do appear occasionally - but not at-all often and if they're any good - they'll be expensive.

Cheers,

Pete
(just across the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, ON)

Thanks Pete! That one you pointed out is something I passed on a couple of months ago. Well I wouldn't say really passed on, but more so didn't commit after talking to the guy a couple of months ago. Still looking forward to the search.

Hi, I have one 1972 XS2 650 that I am working, It has a Michigan Title and engine and frame numbers match. It shows less than 5000 miles.
I am located in Canton, MI.
Communicate using PM if interested.

Back