Xs650 hardtail build fender opinions wanted.

Flash1977

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been debating whether or not to run a rear fender. Of course I know it just makes all the sense in the world to have a rear fender but I like the way it looks without it , and since I'll probably just be riding around town on this bike I've considered it. With that said I also like the way it looks with a fender to and I would like to have the option of a really uncomfortable passenger seat for my wife to never use just in case. Besides it'll help justify all the money I'm spending on this bike if there a place for her. So to avoid buying the wrong fender I was hoping to get some advice and /or options on what fender to buy . I will probably buy one from tc bros but there are like 6 choices. I will probably buy a flat fender but that still narrows it down to like 4,and I don't really even know what tire I will want vs. fender . I do know that I am probably gonna have a 18 inch rear spoked rim from a 72 on the back but other then that I'm not sure. So I'm hopen some of you will chime in with what you did or think I should do or just whatever info on the subject you have thanks.

I'm very opinionated on guards: Bikes just look silly without guards! Why would you want to spray your back with road debris, wet or dry? Why would you want to spray your engine, frame and the rest with road debris? Did I mention, they just look silly without, nearly as silly as a bike without side panels and nothing under the seat!
Mr Mudguard invented mudguards for a reason, he gets very upset when he sees bikes without his invention.
But, if you are going to go without, at least fit the bike with unfiltered velocity stacks, that way you can feed ithe internals with some of the road crap that would otherwise stain your trouser legs.
Then there's jockey shifts, foot clutches, unupholstered seats, tail lights hanging off the side and don't get me started on hardtails!

I think before you choose a fender you need to decide what size rear wheel and tire.

Depending on the look you want you can pick up some flat fenders for boat trailers pretty reasonable. I’ve also picked up some interesting ones at swap meets.

How about one of these, should look cool: Galvanised and has a flat section on which to mount a pillion seat.

Attachments

• 92811.jpg
    92811.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 38
I don't have many yet but here's the same one I have posted several times. Im still buying parts at this point. And have purchase items that I don't need or won't fit right and I'm trying to buy 1 fender. Im just not sure if the stock tire size is the way to go or if people do something different. If I buy the fender that fits the stock size and post pics will I then read people saying I should have went a size bigger... That kinda thing . Just wanna know what others have done to there bike or just general info on the subject.

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_232422588.jpg
    IMG_20230408_232422588.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230408_232422588.jpg
    IMG_20230408_232422588.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 50
The last hardtail I built the fender was pretty close to the width of the tire. It looked very clean as it wasn’t too wide and gaudy. Getting a full fender also let me mount it at the bottom to a tab welded on the frame and the back was mounted to the packer bar. I call it that because I remember when I ordered it I called it a sissy bar and was told by the supplier that name was incorrect because he didn’t know any sissies that rode motorcycles.

Last edited:
The last hardtail I built the fender was pretty close to the width of the tire. It looked very clean as it wasn’t too wide and gaudy. Getting a full fender also let me mount it at the bottom to a tab welded on the frame and the Bach was mounted to the packer bar. I call it that because I remember when I ordered it I called it a sissy bar and was told by the supplier that name was incorrect because he didn’t know any sissies that rode motorcycles.
Thanks that's the look I'm going for . I order a fender from tc bros last light. I didn't buy the sissy bar as they call it but opted for the two side stations though I may end up going that route in the end.

The bar I used was short so not a tall backrest. I thought it made some nice lines at the back. Unfortunately that was a long time ago before digital photo’s so this is the only pic I have.C233A419-3669-4309-A288-9740D28E9753.jpeg

Back