XS650 Mags to Spoke Swap

Travisherdtlv

Xs650lv
Reaction score
I'm currently working on 81' and am in the process of swapping a 19 Front mag disk and 16 rear mag drum to a set from a 75' that is a 19 front spoke disk and a 18 rear drum.
What are, if any, problems that I might run into?
Do i need to swap the disks as wheel when I swap the wheels?
I have the 75' as a donor bike . Would I be better to swap out the forks to make them fit?
What are, if any, problems that I will run into when swapping the rear drum wheels?

What would anyone else trying to do this need to know, any year specific information, ect.

The rear should swap right in. You can use either axle, spacers, brake hub, torque arm (brake stay). You can decide by their condition. The front will need the disc from your newer mag wheel. It will bolt right on in place of the '75 disc. The '75 disc has a different offset so won't match up to your '81 caliper.

You could swap the whole front end from the '75 onto your '81 and then use the '75 disc (and '75 caliper), but that is really a step backwards or down. The '75 forks are 34mm, one less than your newer '81 forks. Your '81 forks are better. I think you'd also encounter problem mounting your later instrument pod. I don't think the mounting hole spacing matches.

Alright, I'll give the new guy a heads up.....that 1981 16" rear drum mag is a very rare item, they may have been issued on the '84 Canadian model Heritage Special too, though I'm not sure. The mag 19" fronts are a dime a dozen and were found on a lot of different models but not the drum rear. If you're going to keep it then keep it in good condition.
Welcome aboard!

I'm currently working on 81' and am in the process of swapping a 19 Front mag disk and 16 rear mag drum to a set from a 75' that is a 19 front spoke disk and a 18 rear drum.
I have the 75' as a donor bike . Would I be better to swap out the forks to make them fit?
What are, if any, problems that I will run into when swapping the rear drum wheels?

What would anyone else trying to do this need to know, any year specific information, ect.
Do you want to sell the 19 front mag? I'm looking for one.

Hi Travisherdtlv and welcome,
I did that exact swap on my Heritage Special some years back. Like the posts say, everything swaps no problem.
You will need to keep your '81's one piece front brake disk as the '75's two piece disk is dished differently so it won't line up with the '81 brake caliper.
You will notice a handling difference with a 110/90-18 rear tire.
Although both the 130/90-16 and 110/90-19 tires are near enough the same diameter that you won't notice the difference the 18" tire's narrower width will quicken the bike's cornering although it will reduce the bike's straight line stability. Nothing hazardous or extreme though, just enough to be noticeable.
Problems? Only that you can't run tubeless tires no more and that keeping wire wheels clean and shiny is a load of work.
Two of the reasons I swapped back to my stock artillery wheels. The wire wheels are now on my son's '80 Special because he's still prepared to keep them clean to maintain the look, he was even willing to give up the '80's rear disk.

Alright, I'll give the new guy a heads up.....that 1981 16" rear drum mag is a very rare item, they may have been issued on the '84 Canadian model Heritage Special too, though I'm not sure. The mag 19" fronts are a dime a dozen and were found on a lot of different models but not the drum rear. If you're going to keep it then keep it in good condition.
Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the heads up! Both mag wheels are in near perfect condition thanks to the bike having less than 7000 miles on it, the bike always being garage kept and that I'm from Las Vegas I have no issues with rust.

Back