XS650 Newbie / XS650 Forum Newbie - Hello!

blkgld

Mild custom in progress...
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 1979 XS650 that I plan to customize into a mild "Bratstyle" custom. I've had an SR500 for quite sometime now before I upgraded to the xs650. The SR was my first attempt at customizing a bike and its sorta the style I want to take the XS.

The reason I decided to join this forum is to share my XS and hope you guys can help me out along the way. I believe mine is the Special based on what I have found on the webs, but I can't confirm it since its not listed on my pink slip. My vin starts with 2F015.... Can anyone confirm that?

I look forward to learning from you.

IMG_3243.JPG

1979 XS650

IMG_3242.JPG

1978 SR500

You're in the right place.

Normally you would get the usual welcome wagon but you get me instead.
I have a particular liking for the 2FO ('79)
You will find many here that have been doing this since these bikes first appeared in the US.
You will find some very intelligent racers and engine builders.
You will also find a few grumpy old greybeards like me.

Do enjoy your time here and if I ever offend, upset, deride, insult, or otherwise piss you off,
know that it was intentional, done in order to teach,
wasn't personal, and
I'm basically a dick.

Welcome aboard

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Chris (@blkgld)!
It's hard for me to tell, but it looks like maybe your tank is the larger standard version (Cap in centerline?). I think you're also wearing standard body side covers. You should have a disc brake on the rear. I love your SR!

My '79 Special II:
4d54488b-cc06-4cc5-a16b-e0c767f89574-jpeg.195051

Needs work!

Really good looking Black/Gold scheme! Yes that "Standard" tank I believe was sold by Mikes XS in the past.
The seat trim piping sure does compliment the look
:cool:

What the H*ll are you going to hack up this mint looking bike
With two digits still zero ( Three ? ) on the odometer visible over the Atlantic.. and the plastic protective ..cover still on the seat lol
Not the correct seat I believe.
Ain t that illegal in the USA ..
My idea is stash this one ( $ 400 ---500 bike ) away and search for a $ 200 $ 300 bike to build on
More pictures can help but so far this is not a Hacking to parts object bike
You might regret that.
it looks far to good to be --attempt at customizing a bike and its sorta the style I want to take the XS.
If you ask me

Welcome aboard Chris (@blkgld)!
It's hard for me to tell, but it looks like maybe your tank is the larger standard version (Cap in centerline?). I think you're also wearing standard body side covers. You should have a disc brake on the rear. I love your SR!

My '79 Special II:
4d54488b-cc06-4cc5-a16b-e0c767f89574-jpeg.195051

Needs work!
Cap is on the side, not center. The side covers are metal... not sure if that's stock. I have disc brake in the rear. Thanks @jetmechmarty! I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Really good looking Black/Gold scheme! Yes that "Standard" tank I believe was sold by Mikes XS in the past.
The seat trim piping sure does compliment the look
:cool:
I'll be swapping the seat **smacks forehead** haha. The previous owner had it redone, so its not stock. Its as cushy as a sofa though.

My idea is stash this one ( $ 400 ---500 bike ) away and search for a $ 200 $ 300 bike to build on
:umm:
What the H?
XS650's in Long Beach Cali are worth some real cash..
I like it pretty much the way it is but understand more mods coming..

What the H*ll are you going to hack up this mint looking bike
With two digits still zero ( Three ? ) on the odometer visible over the Atlantic.. and the plastic protective ..cover still on the seat lol
Not the correct seat I believe.
Ain t that illegal in the USA ..
More pictures can help but so far this is not a Hacking to parts object bike
You might regret that.
it looks far to good to be --attempt at customizing a bike and its sorta the style I want to take the XS.
If you ask me
Haha, thanks @Jan_P... you're right, I may regret it. or not? We'll see. The seat was recovered. The paint on the tank was redone by the previous owner. The odomoter is at 10k :D

Last edited:
:umm:
What the H?
XS650's in Long Beach Cali are worth some real cash..
I like it pretty much the way it is but understand more mods coming..
@Machine, They are not easy to find in this condition, that's for sure. Most are customized and selling for a lot. I say this now, but I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I am also not planning on chopping the frame.

. The odomoter is at $10k :D
Maintenance? Ready to lube the mechanical advance rod? A usual neglected and important task. It's easily done carefully sliding the rod right out the points side assuming the ignition system is original.
Learn the cam chain tension adjustment now as well !
(tech section reading)

Maintenance? Ready to lube the mechanical advance rod? A usual neglected and important task. It's easily done carefully sliding the rod right out the points side assuming the ignition system is original.
Learn the cam chain tension adjustment now as well !
(tech section reading)
Thanks for the tips @Machine! I'm gonna put that on my to do list now. :cheers:

Cap is on the side, not center. The side covers are metal... not sure if that's stock. I have disc brake in the rear. Thanks @jetmechmarty! I can't wait to see how yours turns out.
The position of the cap indicates it's a 3 gal Special tank. Decals are 1977.
upload_2021-7-21_14-16-31.png

Side covers shaped like mine are original to your Special.
upload_2021-7-21_14-18-53.jpeg

Standards look like this and the slots are longer than your tabs if you have these.

I can't wait to see how mine turns out either!

Here in Europe the stock mint bikes have .. a huge step in price
The $ 500 price I don't know anything of in Cali. just a joke
But I do believe a fine bike in Germany stock with 10 k on the odometer would be asking around that
If not more
Older models I have heard of asking prices $ 700 not followed it recently.
And I have never experienced prices go down
But we are then talking stock .in fine condition the repainted tank is not good in that context but I dont think
it is a deal breaker should sale come up.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-motorraeder-roller/xs-650/k0c305

The position of the cap indicates it's a 3 gal Special tank. Decals are 1977.
View attachment 195176
Side covers shaped like mine are original to your Special.
View attachment 195177
Standards look like this and the slots are longer than your tabs if you have these.

I can't wait to see how mine turns out either!
Ahhh! I see what you mean now. My side covers look like the Standard based off the image you shared. Is it possible that its a Standard model, or could it be that the side covers are not original to the bike?
IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg

Thanks for the tips @Machine! I'm gonna put that on my to do list now. :cheers:

Also on your list:
  • Ride your bike
  • Ride your bike some more
  • Realize you have a great example of a nicely restored, coveted motorcycle
  • Find another XS650 to customize
  • Use your SWEET, GORGEOUS bike as a reference point for your Bratstyle Custom
  • Ride your bike
  • Don't take any of the above seriously. Well...maybe a little. Not at all trying to tell you what to do with your bike. Your bike, do what you want. It is a very nice bike in its current state! :D
And welcome to the forum! When you decide what to do with it, start a build thread so we can all follow along.

Welcome to the Forum. If it`s a running riding bike I say cut it to pieces. It`s not like your cutting up a (last year production) 79 Standard. When you remove the tank and side covers and seat it`s just another black XS650 Special begging to become a chopper, bobber, brat, tracker, scrambler or whatever? If you buy a $300 XS650 you`ll spend a shit load just getting it up and running. You bought the XS with a purpose in mind so follow through with it. One look at your SR500 proves you`ve got the talent to build what ever you want. There`s several good brat build threads and you can count on answers to all your questions from forum members. What ever rout you take Good Luck with your endeavor.:thumbsup:

Back