XS650 stainless steel engine hardware

Zion Johnson

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking for stainless steel acorn nuts for my engine and so far I've only found the head nuts from mikesxs and the allen head bolts from alloy bolts. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just take measurements of the bolts you need and take them to any stainless fastener shop. It will work out a lot cheaper than buying a kit, The only acorn nuts that are unusual are the 8 rocker nuts. Take your old one in and get them re chromed

Even the odd shaped acorns ?

If you're talking about the acorns on the lower crankcase - 6mm that are 19mm deep, I don't think I've seen those in stainless. Mike's has them in chrome and CMSNL has them in original finish.

Mike's also has reasonable facsimile of the tappet cover acorns in stainless.
https://www.mikesxs.net/search?q=acorn

I have a 74, the lower nuts on the sump filter plate were just ordinary nuts which I replaced with nylocs. The holes in the crankcase for the sump filter plate holes are blind holes, were these open on earler models?

Is stainless OK for things like head nuts? I thought it had a lower tensile strength that steel.

I one bought a set of steel engine fasteners from Mikes, was not impressed with the quality and never used them for anything critical.

Is stainless OK for things like head nuts? I thought it had a lower tensile strength that steel.
Depends on the grade of stainless we're talking about. 18-8 or 304 has slightly lower tensile strength compare to mild steel... but only slightly. They would be more than strong enough for head fasteners.

Pretty much all the acorns are still available from Yamaha but at $5 to $6 each, they're not cheap, lol. And the ones for the exhaust studs are ridiculously expensive, like $12 each.

Aren’t the exhaust and rocker studs the same thread? I once put the rocker nuts on the exhaust when I couldn’t find the proper nuts on a mock up. I liked how beefy they looked.

No, the 4 hole valve cover studs are M8, the exhaust studs are M10.

Back