XS650 steering stem onto XT500 or TT500 front end swap

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
How to remove the XT500 or TT500 steering stem and swap it into an XS650 triple tree so that the XS650 front end can be used on the XT/TT500. This is a popular mod when converting the XT/TT500 to a street bike. I am using a 1978 XT500 steering stem on a 1977 or later XS650 35mm front end in the pics.

STEP ONE:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30169
Read the above thread by XS650.com Forum member PonyRide. It is excellent, and is how I figured out how to do my swap. Thank you PonyRide!
This thread will only focus on the differences.

I suggest that you take a lot of pictures and measurements of how both the XS650 and the XT/TT500 stem sits in its tree before and during doing any disassembly from the frame if possible.

I removed the XS650 stem from the bottom yoke exactly as PonyRide describes. I used a ¼"tungstem carbide ball burr under running water to keep the cut cool. As PonyRide describes, you have to cut deeper than you think.
Removing the XT/TT500 stem from its bottom yoke is easy. The XT/TT500 stem is not welded to the yoke, it is just held on with a pinch bolt. Remove the bolt, and the stem will press right out.

Stems.jpg

XT/TT500 and XS650 stems after pressing out from their bottom yokes. The XT/TT500 stem has a collar welded onto it that has to be removed.

CollarGrind.jpg

XT/TT500 stem after collar ground off.

Press.jpg

XT/TT500 stem pressed onto the XS650 bottom yoke. This is why I said to take pictures and measurements. It is hard to know just how far to press the stem in before you have installed your new tapered neck bearings. Fortunately, there is a fair amount of leeway.

Weld.jpg

Welded stem.

RightFront.jpg

1978 Yamaha XT500 with 35 mm XS650 front end.

BeforeLt.jpg

Before picture of the XT500.

Back