XS650 Travel Assistance Google Map

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
So I took all the entries in the XS650 Travel Assistance Thread and put them in a Google Map.
Link:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...891033,-82.177734&spn=51.00565,114.169922&z=4

This is only viewable to people who click this link so you don't have to worry about phone numbers or email addresses. I set it to allow anyone to edit it so you can just add yourselves. Also, you guys who have already posted might want to check what I put in there for you.

Edit: Maybe we should delete the posts in this thread and just sticky the link to the map so we don't have phone numbers and email addresses that are searchable from Google.

So I took all the entries here and put them in a Google Map. Link:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...891033,-82.177734&spn=51.00565,114.169922&z=4

This is only viewable to people who click this link so you don't have to worry about phone numbers or email addresses. I set it to allow anyone to edit it so you can just add yourselves. Also, you guys who have already posted might want to check what I put in there for you.

Edit: Maybe we should delete the posts in this thread and just sticky the link to the map so we don't have phone numbers and email addresses that are searchable from Google.
great idea xander.

650skull, I hope that I am managing to address your concerns via PM but if anyone else is curious, here's the deal with the map. The only way you can get to this map is by clicking the link I posted (or clicking your bookmark of it). It can't be googled, it's not listed anywhere on google maps, it's private. So the only way to see the information in the map is if you're already in the thread, looking at that information. The map is just a convenient way to see who's backyard you'll be in if you're planning a roadtrip.

I didn't know how to enter my info on your map. Err if I could so I just posted here

Has anyone been able to edit it? I think you need a google account, then click on the map link and click 'save to my maps'. Then you're officially a 'collaborator' and you can add points, edit points, etc.

So now you have to set up an account to edit any information you put on the map. As is already shown some members do not know how this works and i again say you are out of line in doing this without consultation.

If anyone's info is on the map and the thread and would just like it on the thread feel free to remove it. If you are having trouble removing it, PM me and I will more than happily take it off. If it seems that this is more common than just 650skull I will take the map down, but as I have otherwise received positive feedback and only one complaint I will assume that this is an idea the community generally approves of.

I apologize again for any miscommunication and overstepping I may have done but I would again like to point out that the map is just as private as the thread, can only be found through the thread, and contains no information that the thread does not: location, basic contact info, and tool/garage availability. But regardless, I am sorry to everyone for whatever is going on.

Baltimore MD.

I added my info to the map. As a non-collaborator, when you open the map hit the "collaborate" link in the upper left. You can then right click anywhere on the map to add your pin and put in whatever info you are comfortable with. When you are done adding your pin, make sure to hit the "Done" button in the upper left corner.

Having your info on the map is not any more or less secure than putting it in a forum post. Searching google does not pull up the xs650.com members map. That is not to say google is not doing something with the information, but then again, they already had access to the info via the forum post.

Back