XS650 - Twisties and Highway Speeds

So with some common sense I was able to pull up the bike and mount it on the center stand. The side stand hits the frame not the muffler . pics attached.

Stand1.jpg
Stand2.jpg
Stand3.jpg

Yea, something is bent there. The rubber on the "toe catch" should be what hits first (generally muffler). It appears to be several inches away from where it should be.

The question now is: what's bent?; the stand or the frame post?

This is not the factory side stand, but it is the factory frame post:
20220820_144703 (2).jpg

Excuse the dirt; I was "back road'in" today. lol

Yea, something is bent there. The rubber on the "toe catch" should be what hits first (generally muffler). It appears to be several inches away from where it should be.

The question now is: what's bent?; the stand or the frame post?
standup.jpg

I spot the problem. The side stand has not been correctly installed or bent because as @jpdevol rightly pointed out the rubber should touch the muffler and unstood its position should be below the front pegs

Well, IDK, those are aftermarket mufflers that are in a different position than OEM (and my stand is not standard). To check assembly, here is parts pic:
yamaha-xs650s-heritage-1982-c-usa-stand-footrest_bigyau0804e-10_66f4.gif

Positioning of the sidestand appears to me to have been changed over the years. My old '83 could be grabbed by the ball of my foot to engage it down as it was located a bit fore of the footrest. My '77 is hidden directly below the footrest and is grabbed by my heel to engage it (where the hell is it now....oh, yeah.)

"Minimum springs"? WTH does that mean? Spring rate and preload for a tuned suspension, front and rear, are determined by measurement of laden sag, and folks need to do their own homework if they don't know what that is or how to measure it. Dual rate springs should never be used with cartridge emulator valves. They throw false signals to the valves when the "soft" windings are in play. There are one-size-kinda-fits-all suspensions on stock bikes, but a tuned suspension is tailored to an individual rider. Final note: Wanna go faster soonest? Hop up the suspension before you even think about a motor mod. Peace.

"Minimum springs"? WTH does that mean? Spring rate and preload for a tuned suspension, front and rear, are determined by measurement of laden sag, and folks need to do their own homework if they don't know what that is or how to measure it. Dual rate springs should never be used with cartridge emulator valves. They throw false signals to the valves when the "soft" windings are in play. There are one-size-kinda-fits-all suspensions on stock bikes, but a tuned suspension is tailored to an individual rider. Final note: Wanna go faster soonest? Hop up the suspension before you even think about a motor mod. Peace.
Ugh :( I did'nt know riding a bike was gonna be like going to engineering school.😿

Yes, there is considerable and specialized knowledge involved in all this stuff - especially when dealing with old used bikes and modifications. On relatively new, original bikes, the factory engineers answered all the problems.

The 1st unknown: what did previous owners screw-up?

The immediate concern is for your safety. Anything touching the pavement, other than tires, is a huge problem and wreck waiting to happen. The unknown shocks are a potential issue too.

That was poor wording on my part. What I meant was at minimum upgrade the springs, but ideally do springs and emulators.

I can fix both and potentially replace the shocks. I am still trying to find someone in DFW who is willing to work on the bike ? . With great difficulty I got a lazy guy to fix my petcock issue and got it rebuilt.

Yes, you have Mikuni OE BS38s with slides lifted by vacuum. I don't have a clue as to why guys confuse others and in some cases themselves when they refer to "Mikunis" and mean only Mikuni aftermarket performance carbs with mechanically lifted slides. On the XS650s, Mikuni vacuum carbs were installed at the Yamaha factory.

Back