XS650 - Twisties and Highway Speeds

suntosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am just getting thru teething problems with my newly acquired XS650 and totally loving it so much I pull my bike out every other hr to take it for a spin.

I like sleeping a little bit on the turns but the side stand hits the ground - any workarounds for this ?

For a bike thats this old (81 model) , whats the expected highway cruising speed without running in to problems ?

Can we see some pics; especially from the rear tire looking forward to the side stand?

side stand hits the ground
I have done plenty of mountain riding on my 650 Special. Some have accused me of being crazy, especially two-up. I have scraped pegs, but NEVER the side stand.
Something is wrong with your bike.

Can we see some pics; especially from the rear tire looking forward to the side stand?
Yes, pictures are required.

Sure
20220819_095517.jpg
20220819_095603.jpg
20220819_095615.jpg
20220819_095819.jpg

I have not been able to put the center stand since I dont have enough support to pull the bike back. I usually use the back rest to pull the bike back to mount the center stand. But I dont have that here so I always use the side stand . Maybe there is a technique I dont know. If there is I will happily get rid of the side stand.

Side stand looks like something holding from retracting fully - Can't tell. Marty?

Shocks look stock with the reflector. I'd be inclined to think the shorty muffs might be limiting the centerstand from lifting as high as longer muffs (27") would allow.

I'll add that the last pic shows a clamp mebbe keeping the sidestand from getting as high as it could.

I have not been able to put the center stand since I dont have enough support to pull the bike back. I usually use the back rest to pull the bike back to mount the center stand. But I dont have that here so I always use the side stand . Maybe there is a technique I dont know. If there is I will happily get rid of the side stand.

Normally, XS650s are very easy to pop up onto the centrestand - among the easiest of any mid-large displacement bike I have experienced.

I simply put the stand down and make sure that BOTH pads are on the ground (i.e. the bike is vertical) - and then I lift with my right hand on the handle down below and toward the rear end of the seat (this handle may not be on Specials) - or - lift on the LH side of the seat itself. If you straighten your arm and push DOWN on part of the centrestand that sticks out backwards from the main part of the stand, it should be pretty easy.

NOTE: it is more of a "leg-straightening lifting" motion than a "pushing the bike backwards" motion.

I concur with Marty (and I have ridden with him several times on his Special - and he definitely scrape the pegs on that old gal) - something must be wrong with your bike. I wonder if the sidestand is bent in some way or maybe something on the frame or the LH exhaust pipe is preventing the stand from retracting fully.

Pete

Perhaps side stand hitting muffler clamp (pic other thread). Maybe reposition clamp so bolt is vertical on inside?

I am just getting thru teething problems with my newly acquired XS650 and totally loving it so much I pull my bike out every other hr to take it for a spin.

I like sleeping a little bit on the turns but the side stand hits the ground - any workarounds for this ?

For a bike thats this old (81 model) , whats the expected highway cruising speed without running in to problems ?

....as for cruising speed, the XS650 will do "the ton" (100 MPH) if everything is well organized, but that is pretty hard on these old gals IMO. I certainly can go 65-80 MPH if I am in a hurry without undue stress, but quite honestly, these bikes are most comfortable between 50 and 65 MPH in my experience.

Pete

Assuming they are stock as they have reflectors on them - are they short ?. Pic included in the main post.

Last edited:
Assuming they are stock as they have reflectors on them are they short. Pic included in the main post.
The round reflector on the shock is not stock to a 1981 XS650. Either the shock is off another bike, the reflector was replaced, or both. So, the shocks could be too short, the springs too weak, or both. Decent shocks are not cheap, BTW.

The round reflector on the shock is not stock to a 1981 XS650. Either the shock is off another bike, the reflector was replaced, or both. So, the shocks could be too short, the springs too weak, or both. Decent shocks are not cheap, BTW.
Do you have a recommendation so that I may plan it and that fits XS650 well.

Hagon, YSS, Bitubo, Ikon, Progressive Suspension are all upgrades from stock. Best you buy from someone who can fix you up with the proper spring rate for you weight and riding style. Michael Morse at 650 Central can probably help you with Progressive Suspension shocks.

Back