XS6502F / XS650SK mash up?

7584481C-6DC1-43B7-A923-33C400651C7D.jpeg

This is how it sits. The front end didn’t want to give up either. The Harbor Freight motorcycle lift failed and the Jack oil leaked onto the floor. Etc, etc. I still have to remove the swingarm bushings, but first, I need to get the tab for the new ignition switch welded on.

The drill I described with the blind hole puller has never failed me, Marty. Remove the end piece and slide hammer, put a steel pipe larger than the OD of the bushing over the rod, stack spacers, and crank down the end piece to draw the bushing out, adding spacers as needed. While you're doing switches you might consider a two switch system. I run a power lead straight from the battery to the kill switch and then to a separate key switch. That not only confuses the issue for a less than savvy thief, it also enables me to cut the main switch and run the ignition only on total loss in the event of an alternator failure, and lets me spin the motor without ignition for compression checks, etc.

Last edited:
Simple tool made of about 15" of 1/2 iron pipe and some all thread, nuts, n washers. If you can't quite see it, a hack sawed slot on one end allows the pipe to expand a bit, both that nut and pipe end have a bit of bevel ground on them. When you tighten the outer nut it expands the iron pipe enough to firmly engage the inner end of the bushing, they then tap right out. It's removed dozens of swing arm bushings for me and been loaned out to others 'round town. Just squeeze the slotted pipe end back together with a pliers to reuse Easy peasy every time.

4-3-09 003.jpg

Top is all thread, nuts, washers to install the new bushings. I do not hammer them in.
Check the bushing fit on the sleeve before and after installing. I've found some that weren't machined to correct sizes.

1641001667354.png
I'm thinking that's not where the swing arm should go. ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps I dont understand this
but is not the bushing something that gets replaced
If there is room for the blind hole puller
Cant a piece of a hacksaw blade be used and carefully open the bushing
at say 6 o clock and 8 o clock and tap inwards towards hole center between those cuts with a drift
getting it to move.
Dremel ?

Perhaps I dont understand this
but is not the bushing something that gets replaced
If there is room for the blind hole puller
Cant a piece of a hacksaw blade be used and carefully open the bushing
at say 6 o clock and 8 o clock and tap inwards towards hole center between those cuts with a drift
getting it to move.
Dremel ?
Yes, a hacksaw blade will do the job. It’s a time consuming job. I need to add, it isn’t going to work on the bronze bushings in my other bike.

Last edited:
Yes, a hacksaw blade will do the job. It’s a time consuming job. I need to add, it isn’t going to work on the bronze bushings in my other bike.

Thinking out loud I had a " Extra job " at a demolition the boss used a " Tiger Saw "
to cut off nails ( Steel ) removing installed shelf's . With the right blade it can cut aluminum and so
I have one of those a bit large perhaps --- a work colleague or neighbor can have one
A bit smaller
Looking something like that below
The blade is going in and out back and forth
I believe Bronze is not so hard
Being careful with the machine and do the last part by hand and the Hacksaw blade
I feel it can be done OK it can take some time --like 4 minutes ( Only joking )
But so does taking it to the shop : And since you are experienced mechanic .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocating_saw

Yes I now se there is a picture of the same cutting nails

1641058750421.png

Thinking out loud I had a " Extra job " at a demolition the boss used a " Tiger Saw "
to cut off nails ( Steel ) removing installed shelf's . With the right blade it can cut aluminum and so
I have one of those a bit large perhaps --- a work colleague or neighbor can have one
A bit smaller
Being careful with the machine and do the last part by hand and the Hacksaw blade

View attachment 204213

Near impossible to do without nicking the bore in the swing arm.

A bit smaller

View attachment 204213
Yes! I don’t have one of these. I have lots of hand tools. Those nylon bushes will come out. It’s the bronze ones that concern me.

Thinking out loud II
Not saying this is the first option if there is a gear puller or tool
It depends on how hard it sits ... little heat a little oil splitting it up a bit on the flange and inside

Should one be able to get one side out .Cant the second one be driven out via inserting a socket of the right size
and a pipe or bar
Again not saying it is the best method .. But manufacturing a tool or haul it to a shop is also time and / or money consuming.

If you're installing bronze replacements, don't forget the added grease fitting at the center of the arm. Those new bushings are designed to receive their grease supply from the rear, not in the side like the originals, so the existing fittings on the ends of the pivot bolt won't do much. You can maybe make them work by drilling another couple holes at the center of the pivot tube. This will allow grease to enter and fill the center of the arm, eventually getting to the backs of the new bushings .....

CvTK0dD.jpg

98P4ox6.jpg

P2yYtLH.jpg

5k4Kph4.jpg

Snap On CPT110A 3/8" Drive 6PT Metric 17 mm VW Transmission Drain Plug Socket
1642532966938.png

This is going to uncomplicate 35mm fork rebuilds going forward. I should have bought this years ago. This was less than $20 including tax and shipping. I saw new ones for $6, but with shipping, the cost matched or exceeded the eBay Snap-on deal.

Last edited:
Back