XS6502F / XS650SK mash up?

I like what RE did here up front. As compared to the XS650, the headlight and the clocks are lower. I want to replicate that, maybe go even a bit lower. I expect that means aftermarket headlight.

All you have to do is flip the ears it will drop the head light substantially, then you can just longer bolts and spacers for the clocks.

All you have to do is flip the ears it will drop the head light substantially, then you can just longer bolts and spacers for the clocks.
I just looked at that. I looks like that will have interference between the bucket and the lower clamp. It has to go out before it goes down.

I just looked at that. I looks like that will have interference between the bucket and the lower clamp. It has to go out before it goes down.
I'll have to look at my front end tomorrow, doesn't seem like it would to terribly difficult to lower the vertical adjustment assembly but with out having it in front me I'm just spinning my wheels.

I'll have to look at my front end tomorrow, doesn't seem like it would to terribly difficult to lower the vertical adjustment assembly but with out having it in front me I'm just spinning my wheels.
I have no aversion to an aftermarket headlight and clock for this project. I'm starting with a pile of junk sitting in a mess. Several piles of junk, truth be told.

Would you say you were starting with Rusty Piles? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think it's fair to answer that , yes. Although, the last pile of junk isn't showing much rust.

Yes this is an easy solution if you don't use original indicators...............the shape to stop the indicators from twisting is wrong

I have no intention of using the OE indicators. I want it to be recognized as a Special II by the faithful, but otherwise minimized. Smaller and brighter is what I have in mind.

Well, the only thing better than that is free, lol. Here's the latest "freebie" we've run across. A friend of my buddy snagged it about 2 weeks ago. It's a pretty complete '80 Special II, and came with paperwork. It's in remarkably good shape considering it's been sitting for like 25 years, lol. I figure if he throws about $1000 at it, we can make it pretty nice again .....

LkoRqd8.jpg

BCE1EAF5-1A18-4D3F-A00C-A6217D76BCC2.jpeg ECFB052B-1863-49CC-AF54-7FE18799706B.jpeg B3D09E1B-4C66-4939-9F68-165245DAEEEC.jpeg
Nothing was ever going to get done in the mess in the first picture. I took a page from @Mailman ’s book. I hired an organizer to help me clean it up, because I was never going to get it done. I feel better.
The next thing to do is probably put my original SK back with all its original parts and running. Then on to the mash up.

It's apparently going to be a triple mashup. The engine I brought home in the pile is 4N9 or 1981 Special II. What's left of the engine paint is consistent with that. Unfortunately, the nuts were all removed from the top cover, so I guess I need to at least replace the gaskets and make sure there is plastic attached to the the front cam chain foot. I can only assume the work was performed by the same person who took the Sawzall to the frame.

Last edited:
Awesome Custom build! Right?
Can you give some hints on style?
81 up Special tank or are you having ideas?
:cool:-R
Yeah. No artist rendering, but in my head. I see it with flatter seat, Special tank, maybe superbike bars it's wearing. Black side covers and color on the tank. Aftermarket lights. Avon tires- 5.00/16 rear 3.25/19 front. Special, but minimized.

IMG_5559__42061.1545032962.1280.1280.jpg

I would like the brake master cylinder to be the highest point on the bike. I want it to look less going up hill than an XS650 typically looks. Not really cafe, but certainly with those ques.

My recommended bar has always been the Euro bend. The way they droop down slightly on the ends turns your wrists to a very natural angle and makes them very, very comfortable. As an added bonus, with the droop on the ends the stock angled Special MC sits quite nicely, almost level .....

lzutB53.jpg

AjGQIhR.jpg

Having modified a cut up 79 Special II to become a unique XS, sportier ride than stock, I strongly encourage you to source parts and have a similar experience. I personally believe the 79 Special II un cut like yours is the holy grail to find and customize. The wheels are awesome! A 5.0 rear is big but I've seen one on and that is a statement in itself right there towards a style direction. Even the 79 frame you have is great to modify. You are lucky, those original side covers are great.
Texavina seat is a nice start as well.
Really a fan of this build. Take your time..
ps.. Standard Tank being considered? That changes the look
-R

Last edited:
@5twins, I have arthritis in my hands. Buckhorn bars are great for me. I want to get away from the look of them. I have to be careful about the angle. Superbike is on there right now because I have them and like the look. Jury is out on my tolerance. I'm also working on the arthritis.

@Machine, I like the Special tank, but reserve the right to change my mind. I don't plan to cut anything. I'm looking for alternate ignition switch placement. Stock headlight ears are not in the plan. (so far)

Back