XS6502F / XS650SK mash up?

Hold your arms out in front of you like you're gripping some bars. Have your palms flat or parallel to the ground. The Superbike bars are flat and this is how your wrists are going to be. Now, rotate your wrists outward a bit, say 30°. Better, huh? This is how the Euro bars will place them. It's a more natural and comfortable position for them.

I bought some Superbike bars many years ago because all the bike mags back then raved about them. Eventually I got a BMW and wanted to put low bars on it. BMW bars are rather special, not 7/8" but rather a slightly smaller 22mm. You must use this smaller size for the controls to fit. So, I had to get actual BMW replacements (Magura) and they turned out to be the Euro bend. They were a revelation, the most comfortable low bar I had ever used. I had those Superbike bars for many years and they would get installed on any new bike I got, but only temporarily until I could get some Euro bars for it. I finally sold them to somebody and good riddance, lol. I now keep extra Euro bars "on the shelf".

Hold your arms out in front of you like you're gripping some bars. Have your palms flat or parallel to the ground. The Superbike bars are flat and this is how your wrists are going to be. Now, rotate your wrists outward a bit, say 30°. Better, huh? This is how the Euro bars will place them. It's a more natural and comfortable position for them.

I bought some Superbike bars many years ago because all the bike mags back then raved about them. Eventually I got a BMW and wanted to put low bars on it. BMW bars are rather special, not 7/8" but rather a slightly smaller 22mm. You must use this smaller size for the controls to fit. So, I had to get actual BMW replacements (Magura) and they turned out to be the Euro bend. They were a revelation, the most comfortable low bar I had ever used. I had those Superbike bars for many years and they would get installed on any new bike I got, but only temporarily until I could get some Euro bars for it. I finally sold them to somebody and good riddance, lol. I now keep extra Euro bars "on the shelf".
I know someone with a 650 equipped with Euro bar. I'm sure he'll let me try it. For now, I have bars on the bikes so I can push them around. I can make a bar decision later as I've already ruled out ape hangers. :unsure:

These are my favorites, some Tommeselli Euro bars I put on my SR500. I got them on clearance for like $12 from a now defunct place called Racers Supply. Wish I would have bought like a half dozen of them. They're Italian, they make me go faster, lol .....

gFV9MdB.jpg

The older I get the higher I prefer my handlebars..............
Nope not ape hangers LOL
Hands slightly below shoulders about the upper limit. High bars let you stand on the pegs when going through towns on long trips. :thumbsup:

The older I get the higher I prefer my handlebars..............
Nope not ape hangers LOL
Hands slightly below shoulders about the upper limit. High bars let you stand on the pegs when going through towns on long trips. :thumbsup:
I'm looking for a lower nose. Stock clocks are too high. I may take issue with the stock ignition switch location. The lower the bars, the more I take issue with those items. The stock Special is tall looking at the front, even though it is actually very similar to the standard.

Having arthritis any bars when your going to be reaching, or leaning down on them is surly going to aggravate the arthritis. What about the old CB750 bars, they were fairly high standard looking bars.

I assume you going to be in a fairly strait riding position

No point in building something that looks good but cant ride.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Having arthritis any bars when your going to be reaching, or leaning down on them is surly going to aggravate the arthritis. What about the old CB750 bars, they were fairly high standard looking bars.

CB750 was an option I hadn't considered, thanks. US spec Triumph bars may provide an option as well.
97-1870.jpg
97-7001.jpg

Yeah I wanna try a pair of the CB bars, co-incidentally I have a pair coming on a parts bike tomorrow...:bike:

350d450b-0ebc-4124-a3e8-ac7fbac1412a-jpeg.192142

I'm not an artist, so I'm doing the same game as many of you do. I'll probably pick an engine and start there. This one is locked up tight and the bottom full of sludge. No metal bits were found.

This seat appeals to me
upload_2021-5-26_20-47-41.png

6" headlight ....or is 7.7" better? I want the front to appear lower.
upload_2021-5-26_20-50-32.png
upload_2021-5-26_20-53-49.png

Front fender
upload_2021-5-26_20-57-28.png

Taillight
upload_2021-5-26_21-1-3.png

5.00-16 rear 3.25-19 front
upload_2021-5-26_21-4-7.png
upload_2021-5-26_21-7-19.png

Now, if I could get Chip Foose to put it on a piece of paper for me, I'd know if this will get me where I want to go.

d3617848-d16b-476b-a8a7-92d43fe39b60-jpeg.192680

@Mark450r posted this recently. Much of what I hope to achieve is seen here. It appears to be a Heritage Special, or maybe an '81. This bike has lost the Special stance and I don't believe it's all in the wheels. I hope it isn't because it's my desire to retain a hint of Special II. Whoever put this together leveled it right out. Whether by design or accident, it's good.

I intend to give up stock clock for the small ones or a single electronic one. Can I use a 6" headlight, or will that ruin what I'm going for?

Altering the headlight position changes the lines and stance considerably. Kane fliped the headlight brackets on our 83, (can do the same with aftermarket ones and lower them), and dropped the gauges. Personally i think smaller headlights don't suit the XS650
image1 a.jpg
image6 a.jpg

I have a headlight I bought thinking it would look good on the XS650. Didn't realize it was from the early model XS 1/1B/2/TX. has a small light on the top of the bucket and is more of a bullet shape. has less room for wiring but if your going to rewire to a simplified loom then it wouldn't be a problem. Having smaller gauges with out the middle tower the idiot light on the bucket could be utilized for a warning light.
Realize it may not be practical or cost effective to find the early bucket but the shape is worth looking at.

IMG_0526.jpg
Side 2.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg

Last edited:
I think the fender is going to hit that bracket on the bottom of the headlight bucket upon full fork compression.

Good point. Can buy nice aftermarket light brackets that would raise the light a bit. If the front suspension is upgraded as well it would help compression.

Back