XS650B 1975 gaskets / liquid gasket

Niels B

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
noticed as I'm removing left and right side crankcase covers for polishing - the old paper seal is there, however there's is also a fine layer of old silicone (or similar) sealing. Is there any good reason to use both the paper and then add a "liquid" seal at the same time ? assume if you surface is smooth and the new paper gasket is of a good quality no reason to add liquid gasket as well ?
what do you guys do / suggest. (it's the first XS I take apart, so not sure if they traditionally start leaking when they no longer have to factory seal)

You shouldn't need sealer for a new gasket. For the right side, I just oil the new gasket with motor oil. That puffs it up a bit which I think may help it seal, but it also makes it easy to remove the cover in the future without the gasket sticking. So, lay the new gasket on some newspaper and "paint" it, both sides, with some motor oil, then let it sit and soak it up for 10 or 15 minutes.

For the left cover, it doesn't hold any oil in, it's mainly to keep water out of the alternator area. I don't oil that one but I do apply some sealer to the cover side only. I want this gasket to come off with the cover whenever I remove it so basically, I "glue" it to the cover with gasket sealer.

Back