XS650B Retorquing the head.

klr650goldwing

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Should I replace the washer which are under the acorn nuts? I ordered 4 all steal washers from Speed and Sport in PA. and 4 rubber coated washers which have a flange, also from Speed and sport. How are those washers supposed to be positioned on the head?

But ...... many of us change out the rubber washers in favor of copper or brass. The rubber washers do seal the oil in, yes, but are too soft to keep the head nuts tight. They'll constantly come loose on you and you'll be re-torquing several times a season (or you may start getting leaks). The copper or brass washers are soft enough to seal the oil in but hard enough to hold the nuts tight .....

ButtonHeads.jpg

Last edited:
But ...... many of us change out the rubber wahers in favor of copper or brass. The rubber washers do seal the oil in, yes, but are too soft to keep the head nuts tight. They'll constantly come loose on you and you'll be re-torquing several times a season (or you may start getting leaks). The copper or brass washers are soft enough to seal the oil in but hard enough to hold the nuts tight .....

View attachment 239405

That reminds me, I have a couple of low mileage 1980 Specials that need their heads re-torqued...weepy weepy.

They're not needed on the inner 4 because they don't flow any oil. Plain steel (like the factory used) is fine (and cheaper).

Thanks! Just some homebaked Cerakote on the top-end and rattle can PJ1 on the crankcase

Back