Sold / Found / Inactive - XS650SH tool kit missing pieces.

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
1685666564472.png

My tool kit is missing a few pieces. Can you fill in the blanks?

You're missing the handle for the screwdrivers, which I have. Otherwise looks pretty complete. What else do you think you're missing?

You're missing the handle for the screwdrivers, which I have. Otherwise looks pretty complete. What else do you think you're missing?
Later today, I will complete the evaluation and get back to you. I believe there should be a 22 mm wrench to match the 27 mm and a handle that slips over both. Also, I think there should be a flat blade screwdriver.

Yes, you are right, there should be a 22mm wrench to match the 27mm, which I also have. I have never seen a handle that slips over both, and I don't think such a handle belongs.
I'm not sure about the flat blade screwdriver. Seems like I've seen them, but on the other hand, there are no straight-slotted screws on the bike. I do have one that fits into the correct plastic handle that I said I have, but it is double sided -- flat on one side, and Phillips on the other.

Yes, you are right, there should be a 22mm wrench to match the 27mm, which I also have. I have never seen a handle that slips over both, and I don't think such a handle belongs.
I'm not sure about the flat blade screwdriver. Seems like I've seen them, but on the other hand, there are no straight-slotted screws on the bike. I do have one that fits into the correct plastic handle that I said I have, but it is double sided -- flat on one side, and Phillips on the other.
I'll move some bikes around this afternoon and pull the kit from my XS650SK. That should remove all doubt.

While the subject is at hand.......
What are the sizes of the feeler gauges on the smallest wrench and what are they for? I've converted from points to TCI if one is for setting the points gap.
'77 tool kit.

Last edited:
While he subject is at hand.......
What are the sizes of the feeler gauges on the smallest wrench and what are they for? I've converted from points to TCI if one is for setting the points gap.
'77 tool kit.
They are marked 0.15, 0.2, and 0.35 I think that's correct. They aren't easy to read.

Your also missing the tappet spanner

My tool kit. Think this was all
P1110311 nnn copyright.jpg

I added another Pliers set and an open-ender to double up on 14mm and add a 17mm
P1110335 nnn copyright.jpg

Your also missing the tappet spanner

My tool kit. Think this was all
View attachment 244440

I added another Pliers set and an open-ender to double up on 14mm and add a 17mm
View attachment 244441
The XS650SH has the tappet spanner. My original XS650SK does not have it. I lost it. I've never needed it on the road.

I'm going to tell you what motivated this thread. Recently, I found myself with a free hour or two on a lovely evening. The XS650SH was closest to the door with a full tank of gas. I threw my leg over it and just went. Country lanes. No traffic. I had just adjusted the rear brake and brake light. I had set it a little too close. I found myself on the side of a lonely road with a fully engaged rear brake. The only tool I had was my cell phone. I needed a 12 mm wrench. Fortunately, a good Samaritan in a pickup truck stopped to check on me. He had the wrench. After a few seconds work and pleasant conversation with a stranger, I was on my way again. I decided those tools are better than a good idea in a pinch.

Is that plastic pouch still available. Sumo listed it (out of stock), but unfortunately, they are no longer with us.

If you search Ebay for "yamaha motorcycle tool pouch".... there's tons of hits.

I read of your breakdown. I'm of your mind. I think the XS650 tool kit is great. I used mine all the time on my SK when doing general maintenance, chain tightening, axle, ECT.

Did have to tighten a valve on the hop one day. Done the valves before riding but obviously messed up one because it came loose. Valve tool came in handy.

Adding the 2 extra tools did make for a tighter fit. A matter of packing them properly.

Would have posted the other day, but my laptop has only 2 USB ports left. One is for my Phone,(how I use/get my internet) and the other is for my mouse. Photos are on my external hard drive and it is a bit of a bug bare swapping them over to download pics to the laptop then getting back on the net.

Laptop hard drive is pretty much full, have to sort through to make room for any more from my external.

One is for my Phone,(how I use/get my internet) and the other is for my mouse.
Skull like you I use my phone for my internet. I set my phone as a "hotspot". Then just attach to it with my laptop. Works as well as tethering.

Couldn't remember why i wasn't using hot spot. Now i do. Had a look and have to let google location access the phone...........mmmmm nope not happening.

I have minimal app access to device location or GPS, Ones that are needed for the camera and a couple of others are set for when the app is in use only.

Back