xs750 build step by tedious step, "build-along" with me

Been rather quiet on the build; this anticipation is killing me. By the way not sure if you already stated it but is this a choppa, bobber, cafe, tracker, or restore? Pictures of the bike pretty please!

my truck blew the rear end up, and I bought a milling machine, and Ive just been busy ,,, but once it starts it woill roll fast, each day will be a major progress. and I cant beat you, youve been at it for to long for me to wiss one together lol

The real story on the 77 & up overdrive gear is that it was designed ( by Yamaha ) and this idea comes from
Jerry Heiden who was a Yamaha factory world GP mechanic. Yamaha made the Overdrive gear with smaller and
different shaped teeth so you guys do not need to re-engineer these. The current owners of Mikes may have shifted
production to China or changed the design but the original Heiden/Mike Lalonde gear was meant to be a drop in and go.

I came to that conclution after much tedious deliberation lol,, and reserch didnt help much it was all measuring and testing... thank you 650trader, I love it when I can get the real backrgound story on stuff like this, the gear I got from mikes was definatly from china, came in a bag marked product of china, and it was not a machind gear but what apers to be a powdered metal gear... kinda like the gears in tools these days, another member informed me that all car and bike gears are made this way now..

Current owners of Mikes XS have zero technical background and any tech guys ( there have been many ) are
not much better. Powdered metal has been highly developed but the Old mikes XS owners said that the only
item they had made of powdered metal was the oil pump rotors ( OEM used the same ). The Chinese can produce
really nice stuff but you have to give them the technical specs or you just get the cheapest stuff possible.
It's too bad that items are purchased based on low, low price alone. The new upcoming suppliers plan to sell
at/around 8 year old prices and in the past the Old Mikes XS owners Never purchased based on cost. There are
No XS650 parts factories in Japan or Taiwan so everything is made to spec on all new tooling and a production run
must be purchased to get delivery. A production run is usually 1 to 10 thousand pieces and you must wait for the
factory to get a lull to get at it. Factories are making parts for new bikes so you are lucky to get an order accepted.
Most items take from 5 months to 2 years to get and there is no cancellation or you will get nothing in the future.
The Old mikes had hundreds of thousands of dollars of parts on order always and had up to 1.7 million dollars
worth of parts in stock ! How could they do this ? Simple, they sold and kept buying without taking any profits.
Note: Taiwan products are made on New CNC machinery purchased from Germany or Japan and often the factory
is a subsidiary of a Japanese company. The self appointed experts on this site do not realize that parts companies
make for a range of other sellers - For example the Old Mikes Camshaft makers also make Wiseco's products.

so anyone that was watching my build thread ,my life went sideways and upside so I haven't done a single thing on the engine , BUT this is what my kitchen table has looked like the entire time. so Im still trying :banghead: and I will be doing the assembly soon-ish... also I received the kedos valve lash adjusters from a member here, and in case any one was curious the ball does just drop out of the threaded stem... but its held in by the "sticktion" of the oil. Ive worked in machine shops before and I can say that the quality of these is amassing, the polish on the ball and the grinding of the "flat is amazing ... the slip on there riding surfaces like butter, I think for my sanity, I will be firing up the new build with the stock adjusters and breaking it in for 50 or so miles before swaping out the factory adjusteres for the Kedos, just because sometimes thing settle in alot , and it might get alot of valve "lash clearance " as the gaskets and such settle in, hmmmm i kinda take that back usualy things get tighter, any how, I also recived a few ddays ago a shinny new sump filter, so Im gonna post some photos of my kitchen table as it has sat for months, and try and get the intrest restated in my build on here and also actually do it, oh and I got a new tool to put in the corner of the shop HEHE,,, a milling machine.
a2.jpg
a.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg

Can’t wait to see what you got planned next for the project. Especially want to know the reviews for the Kedo adjusters. Wondering if I should have kept them over the elephant feet, but it’s too late now those things don’t come out easy.

well by looking at them, they look very very well made. and the only draw back or CON I can see is that the ball comes out of the treadeded part, and so if your not keeping up on valve lash I can see a problem there, I am considering modifiying them by drilling a very very small hole thru the middle of the "bolt, as to allow oil to drian down and lube behind the ball, but I overthink everything, and it crossed my mind that that may create a "HYDRO lock situation", I doubt it but something to think about, As I am talking about drilling very small holes, Has any one seen the MOD where you dill little tiny holes into the oil galley in front of the piston and rob some of the oil from the system and have it spray the underside of tthe piston to keep it cool and lube the oiling rings even more, SAAB cas have 4 squirters inside each piston on there HOT motors like the VIGEN, itys a high preshure turbo car and they are able to push that little motor hard due to many High Tech from the factory MODS,,, Ive seen it done to one of these xs motors online, never in person, and I have no sugestion as to the Hole sise, any one???

ok, been a crazy summer, I think things are getting under control now, Im hoping to begin the asembly soon, I know I said that but I think its coming round the corner

I just read this whole thread. I have one question, Have you ever heard of spell check?
Leo

mod is moidfy.... oh sorry modify lol
well xs leo lets just say I have issues .. a damage case you might say, sorry for the bad spelling and grammer, If you read the entire thread you would have knoticed where I made fun of myself, and pointed out that I hope the benifits of my posts outweigh the bad grammer and spelling, I am trying to improve my posts, as being part of a forum is new to me as well as posting anything on the internet...

mod is moidfy.... oh sorry modify lol
well xs leo lets just say I have issues .. a damage case you might say, sorry for the bad spelling and grammer, If you read the entire thread you would have knoticed where I made fun of myself, and pointed out that I hope the benifits of my posts outweigh the bad grammer and spelling, I am trying to improve my posts, as being part of a forum is new to me as well as posting anything on the internet...
no, no - I get that - and not at ALL making fun of spelling! You're good, man. Just curious - I've seen it stylized like MOD here and elsewhere and always wondered why.

Back