xs750 build step by tedious step, "build-along" with me

well ITs been an insane month here on mt hood OR... first we had a wind storm with 100 mph winds, blowing down 100 or 200 year old trees, onto cars and houses on my little dead end street, it took out the power,,, lucky me, not my house,shop,or classixc cars, but it was tense... then even thou my power was gone from a tree PGE turned off the power due to wilfires in the area, then the fires got so close we wher evacuation level 1 then 2 and one block away was level 3 , with the sheriffs knocking on doors and evacuating, we are a small tight night groop down here and it showed who was down for the comunity of maybe 35 people on this dead end road, I fixed 11 generators in 4 days, and didnt charge a penny, the plumber down here brought fire hoses and valves home, and so on, a few of the guys said we wouldnt leave even if level 3 was enected, there has been lloting and fires started in the evacuated area just to the south, we would protect the homes best we vould until the minute we had to bail from the fire, I founf it really defined thouse who where eger to run off with there prized posestions, and those who where going to stay and team up for the benifit off all, (minor rant) anyways as It lasted well over a week or two, and it has now callmed down and we have poewer (and internet) today, Im exhausted like never before, but ever time I went in and out of the house I saw all my cs650 build parts on the kitchen table and thought geee I sure hope I still get to buid that, it was suposed to be running for the spring opener,lol what was I thinking, an unfortunate string of events put it on hold, and I didnt return to it yet.... but for those wondering what happened, well yeah Im back, gonna try to start posting to get into the mood to build it, it reallyu only needs asembled at this point,, wish me luck, or better yet wish me motivation lol

IM BACK from what feels like the dead, the build is back ON, I may start a new thread and keep it much simpler as I go, I have every part needed so it will be a day by day continuous build,

many troubles in the last year with being a first time home owner on a river in a forest on a mountian, lol, but I may just have things under control, fist post in a long long time.. but everythin was unboxed today, and layed out for the build, thous of you that know me can expect some humor, and some horrible spelling, but some great build insite, and I hope the colective can goin in making sure I dont do to many mistakes.. hehe. Ive missed this place,
OH its 115 here for a few days, sheeassh.... freeeze all winter then i just get going and now im being baked! thanks alot Greta! lol

Well Billy, I'm glad to see that your alive, well and back to your project. ...........

tim

well i took one of the xs650s I have done and been done for 7 years for a ride, the faster I went the hotter it felt, like I was smashing hot atoms with my skin, and it made it to the bar (for ice tea) it ran like a raped ape all the way there, never better....and almooost all the way home, it is the one I used in my video on how to instal the electronic ignition,.... it strated cuting out and then finanally went dead... pushed it the last 8th mile home.. almost melted my shoes off....

want to play guess the failure
we have on the board

1 spark
2 fuel
3 your choice lol.
it ran fine a few months ago, and i think there is about 650 miles on the electronic ignition that we all tried out... its to hot to check it out now but ill look later tonight, it has clean gas and it is well maintained... it was a odd cut out symtom, didnt really strike me s starving for fuel.. more like spark then no spark over and over.... I did knowtice the coils where hot, but its just plain hot outside period.. ok Ill let ya know what it is as soon as I find out, but guess away if you so desire... the winner gets braging rights that all... lol

so an update on the bike dieing yeaterday at th hottest part of the day, I pushed it home put a fan in front of it, and in 2 hours came back and it ran and rode but the same distance before the same problem, ripping down the fre way . vroom ka ka ka vrooom ka ka ka vrom ka ka... made it to my road....let it cool of for 20 minutes.. and it started up with only a little cut out and i made it the 1 mie to the shop... I checked the voltage at the battery and had 12.25.... but the single power wire i was using to run the ignititon was only sending 11.19 to the ignition... now I didnt use te wire to heat the coils to heat the ignition... I actually taped into my headlight hot wire thats why it was 11.19 ...the headlight was getting juice and then the wire was a litttle low on voltage, ...so right then at the point that it was not running, and wouldnt run.. i went strait from the battery to the ignition and it fired first kick and ran fine,,, to tired to test ride it.....

I never got any other reviews of there tytronics except for the one you mentioned gary...
ABYONE else actully instal theres and run it????
anyone have miles on theres, I would think if others had theres die they wuoud have told me since I passed n about 12 of them..
Im wondering if the fact tha it was 115 hot outside made it just to hot.. I also knowticed that the coils where both very warm... but hey they are right above the hot engine, and they are also original coils....
Well that's just how my tytronics acted during the end of it's extremely short life..................
did you ever try after yours died to run it again.. (like after the ike cooled off. because mine will startt right up after cooling off..

I want to ride this bike and I have a boyer mini ment for the new 750 build ,and I could install it on here but I rather save it for this build, also another question Im runnning the iridium plugs... do they take more from the coils than a typical copper plug?? anyways guys, it is spark related, I did take the carbs off and disasemble them and clean every orifice,(they where spotless to begin with lol).. but yeah gggary any insite, or
HAS anyone else actully run there tytronics more than me?

It kinda came back but mine never got "hot" I needed to get hte bike ready to ride across Iowa put the original points back in and toddled off. Tytronics replaced it and that one still sits in it's box waiting to be used.

hmmmmmm, well this one starts right up once cooled down... I have yet to make sure it has a SOLID 12v dedicated wire going to HOT on the igy...
I did make sure to not use the coil hot like the instructions... but i was taking power off the headlight on a chopper/bobber, so "key on" head light on IE voltage to the igy, but turns out after the headlight has its bit of voltage its a volt low, or more, from 12.45 to 11.19
wel now im actually thinking that was bike off not running ,so the tru voltage drop with the bike runnning is unknown at this time... hmmm.either way its getting its own wire right from ignition switch to igy. ....

i did have a very similar problem with this bike a long time ago, when a cheep ignition key switch was losing contact inside during high vibration, but that would make the whole bike go off and come back on ...lights and all... but im didgging in today we will se

ggary, you the only guees so far.. bragging rights for being right are undetermined at this point but its looking in your favor lol... hehe
so ggg gary I also sold you an aditional tytronics, the last one of the bulk purchases I had made, are you saying tytronics replaced your original with no timing led lights, and you have the one I sold you?? just curious. Billy!

I'm betting your Tytronics is the culprit. Had a PAMCO that did the exact same thing. Get it hot enough and bike would miss and die. Put a Boyer on and all has been good with the ignition.
What you really need to do is hook a voltmeter to the + side of the coil and ride it until it acts up. If you have have decent voltage going to coil when it dies then you will know what the problem is.

One way to isolate an overheating problem.... once it's acting up, blow shop air on it (the Tytronics unit). If that's what's overheating, it should return to normal operation pretty quick. If it doesn't blow shop air on the coil. If neither help then yeah, you might have a power problem. I suspect blowing air on the Tytronics unit will tell the tale.

Billy; I think the tytronics I got from you was passed on to another denizen here that was in need. The replacement has the LEDs, my original that died didn't.

yes I didnt try the directed air, but just a box fan in front of the bike for 15 minutes and shes right back to normal.... I do have a boyer mini, but like i said it was in the box of parts for my new 750 build thats supusosed to happen here very soon...ill try the directed air to the two diferent units,,, the coils,,,or the igy

What you really need to do is hook a voltmeter to the + side of the coil and ride it until it acts up. If you have have decent voltage going to coil when it dies then you will know what the problem is.

i like the sound of that test, but if I have bad voltage or a voltage drop,at the coils, that doesnt tell me if im having voltage drop at the tyronics igy..right or did i miss something in your responce, just asking GLJ..

OK if you are using the same wire to power the coils as the Tytrocics the voltage should be the same to both. If you are using 2 different wires/paths then you would need 2 volt meters.

You can do like I did and check it 7 ways to Sunday. At the end the electronics was the problem. Electronics doesn't like heat.

OK if you are using the same wire to power the coils as the Tytrocics the voltage should be the same to both. If you are using 2 different wires/paths then you would need 2 volt meters.

no ofence GLJ but you are not suposed to use the same wire that is your HOT wire IE12vpositive to the coils... AND use that same wire to give 12v to the tytronics ignition. it actually says NONONO in the instructions from tyronics, as there is a situation where it will destroy the tytronics ignititon......
thats why i didnt understand the statment that was saying testing that way would tell me the problem... I would have to check them seperatly, but ive got about 1 more day of checking electronics in 110 degree heat here lol. and then its decition time. back to the points or on to the new in the box boyer set up... I actulyy lean twards the points...only because the boyerr is earmarked for another build.... haha the build this thread is actully suposed to be about... I apreciate you eleborating ... it does help the old brain think about it.... question thou.. did you have a tytronics? I know about 12 of them went around here just from me..

Back