xs750 build step by tedious step, "build-along" with me

Have had piles of old Kawi coils that acted like that. Fine til they got hot, then crappy running, cool down repeat. Those bad coils would usually have cracks in the black casing. Where I picked up my Accel habit.
accels04.jpg Looking down at the top of a KZ1300 frame.
You can just see the end of the THIRD coil peaking out on the left. Was a trick getting them all squeezed in under those KZ1300 gas tanks.

Last edited:
still undetrmined, Im going to test ride tomarrow with a new 12v source strait from key to iggyy.. gonna leave the cover off to, I would think that if the iggy was at failure the led timing lights wouldnt be flashing when its cutting out, and I can look down while riding as see.... I will update if I live thru it lol

well it was the tyrtronics unit...
at this point it works fine until the engine reaches temp for a while, then one of the sensors stops flashing, and sending a signal for the coil to spark.... If you push on it with your finger it stars working again... I wonder what the heat of 115 ouside temp did to it... and if a fix would be a heat blocking spacer underneath the aluminum plate would work. phanolic or fiber kinda like the backing plate on boyer set up... Im curious also if there is anyone else that delt with this.

and G G Gary, how did you aproach the guy in china to get a replacement, I would like to get a new one, and try and use it with some kind of heat spacer..
,there just so darn easy to set up and use,

No experience on tyrtronic but
A couple of years ago I had a Boyer ignition shutting down one cylinder on hot days
After Cooling off ran perfect I could not find the fault
After installing a Voltmeter I found out that the Stock Voltage regulator did not do its job
Well over 15 V if i recall right
Replaced regulator and rectifier to a known working setup for a SAAB
And have not had the problem after that.
Now a Bosch regulator and a Chinese rectifier
I tried to get the stock regulator to work but was not able to succeed
I remember the Boyer coil needs to be installed so it can get cooling.

No experience on tyrtronic but
A couple of years ago I had a Boyer ignition shutting down one cylinder on hot days
After Cooling off ran perfect I could not find the fault
After installing a Voltmeter I found out that the Stock Voltage regulator did not do its job
Well over 15 V if i recall right
Replaced regulator and rectifier to a known working setup for a SAAB
And have not had the problem after that.

very interesting, I forgot to mention that I was seeing higher than normal voltage, I use a factory solid state voltage regulator from a yamaha xs 650,,, I have had more than one go bad and they seem to allow over voltage when they go bad, Im curious when you seay that once you got your voltage under control, that the same boyer that was going bad was working again once voltage was corrected??

I mean did the same exsact part (boyer) still work after voltage corect?

very interesting, I forgot to mention that I was seeing higher than normal voltage, I use a factory solid state voltage regulator from a yamaha xs 650,,, I have had more than one go bad and they seem to allow over voltage when they go bad, Im curious when you seay that once you got your voltage under control, that the same boyer that was going bad was working again once voltage was corrected??

I mean did the same exact part (boyer) still work after voltage corect?

Sorry I cant remember exactly I have two different Boyer's in the house one red Box and one Blue It can have occurred that I shifted the Boyers .But the fault finding procedure is ---only make one change at a time --and evaluate rethink
If the Boyer shifting occurred first say red to blue box I would not have found the Overcharging in the next step. since no next would happen / be needed if Boyer shifting was a fix.
And I am Positive that no Boyer change happened after the charging fix.

I think that is something to work on for you as a first step-->

I forgot to mention that I was seeing higher than normal voltage.

I do believe that at least Points and Boyer can do weird things if the Voltage is Wrong
Low and you get problems .And as i seems High also
But I am not certain what Boyer

Last edited:
hey guys, im back again, this time looking for a little help. decided to clean the kitchen table by asembling the bottom end of the build, some of you know my plan was to document here the build every tep of the way, but My camera broke, and also life has been WAY overwhelming... so one day I just got a hair up my ass and began the asemembly, now Ive build engines for over 20 years and usualy my memory and a manual is all thats needed, but I thought I should stop where im at (the bottom end sealed with yama bond and some seals instaled), the reason I thought I should stop is, when I disasemble an engine I set it up in order that its almost self evident where all the bits and pieces go, but I have reached this point and I have 4 items that im not sure about,

there is a washer with an impregnated Ruber center, I belive that was ment to go under the clutch pushrod seal, its O.D. and I.D. match up
there is also a wave washer thats so thin and has a large ID small OD and I think illl figure that one out by its only going to fit one place
then there is a clip of wire c shaped
and last but most concerning is a nylon washer with a Oring that fits its outside perfectly.

any help is greatly apriciated, and I do plan on showing the upper end with the xs1 cly,447 pistons,posted head kedo rockers and such,

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 108
I went ahead and finished up the bottom end, and went on to asembling the top end,,, when I went to instal the rings on the pistons the top and 2nd ring fit perfert, but the oil ring, well there isnt enuf of a gap (top to botom) to fit the 2 thin rings and the wave ring, not even unuf room to fit one thin ring and the wave ring... Hmmm.... they are rk rings and I belive they are mikes xs 750cc pistons.... Im probobly going to have to put the pistons in the lathe and make the gap a little wider....

Thoughts????

ive been looking for the artical about "johns mod" to the oil pump, I found every articale mentioning it but Im looking for the actuall atep by step, I know ive read it before and now I cant find it, any help for the problem child :umm:

Back