XS850 Special Under Seat hook

1679317556404.png

1679317683736.png

And.....a couple more observations:
The front of the battery box has a notch in it and it appears the purpose thereof may be to give clearance for the seat tang to slide into and under the thingie just ahead.

The battery current vent tube (clear) isn't on the correct side and the original vent tube is visible on the left of the battery box; all leading me to guess that's not the correct battery and it may be blocking the correct placement of the seat tang - somewhat educated guess.
1679260787246778678781353165504 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Yes, battery vent tubes and their "mishandling" cause a lot of damage (SOHC Honda chain breaking comes to mind) - the bane of old bikes with multiple PO's

Warning: sulphuric acid that eats your motorcycle!:eek:

Supposed to have a YB14L-A2, terminals rear, + on right, vent on left.
Might currently have 12N12-4A-1, or YB14L-B2 - mounted backward to get terminals on needed side, but puts them in front and vent on wrong side. Don't know about height (must be an issue too).

#5 is the tank damper. #7 is a "special washer." My guess is the special washer is actually the tab the seat slots into.

1679329545695.png

Here are some photos of of 2 XS 850 frames or possibly 1 x 750 and 1 x 850.

20230321_090354.jpg20230321_090445.jpg20230321_090648.jpg20230321_090633.jpg

There is only subtle differences I can see and it is with the brackets near the rear of the tank. These I believe are both standard models ( for want of a better term) not specials.

The seat is from a 850 standard the pan has rusted out and been roughly repaired I believe this is a common problem so you are on to a winner with the plastic pan.

#5 is the tank damper. #7 is a "special washer." My guess is the special washer is actually the tab the seat slots into.

That makes sense. When the seat is on it doesn't touch the battery but IT

agree that it's the wrong way.

View attachment 238322

Sorry about the staggered reply. When I'm on the phone the message system goes weird when I'm typing. I'm on the computer now.

Yes there have been shenanigans with the earth strap. Its been cut and joined possibly to accommodate the wrong battery. This will be remedied.

So when the seat is on it sits perfectly. You can see that the tongue doesn't hit the battery and the "Special Washer" #7 would work. As they are discontinued I'm capable of fabricating a washer/bracket like the one in the diagram. Looks like the old bloke before me has lost many parts along with that washer.
Thank you for that diagram. That really helps. I was about to make a cross bar but this will not destroy the integrity of the bike now.

Many thanks to all who have helped me out. Much appreciate the wealth of knowledge.

Now to find correct mounting hardware for my front calipers. If anyone has any of the bolts, sleeves and washers associated with mounting the type of calipers that have . 1 bolt that the caliper pivots on with wedged pads. I managed to fine what seems like the last sleeve in existence on CMSL but thats all there is and I need another one. I will have to have a machine shop copy it if I cant find any second hand. Iv'e contacted many wreckers in the US and they really don't want to help even when they are selling the caliper with the bolts in them. I asked if they would sell them separately as I dont need the caliper just the bolts and sleeves etc but they are just not helpful.

If anyone has them Ide be happy to purchase them from you.

Thank you again to all who have helped. Will post some more pics when I get my tank and side covers back from paint. BTW I purchased 2x new reproduction side cover 850 special badges. Can I say they are spectacular and made of tin not plastic like the originals. Just going to ask if they make tank badges as well. One of mine is peeling. The company is on ebay if anyone needs badges. "badgereplicas" Not sure if Im allowed to mention their name. Please delete if not allowed.

This is the bike I just bought with the seat issue. It will look alot better shortly.... stay tuned

Attachments

• Pic 850 3.jpg
    Pic 850 3.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Pic 850 2.jpg
    Pic 850 2.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 41
  • PIC 850.jpg
    PIC 850.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 41
Back