XV hits and misses.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ever noticed the XV250 looks quite alright, sort of like a miniature Harley. But the 535 and 750 miss the mark.

I've often wondered why, then it hit me: The motor in the 250 is set further back in the frame, and the V configerations are different, the 250 jugs are set at a narrower angle. The 250 looks around 60-70 degrees, whereas the 750/535 look more like 80-90 degrees. makes a hell of a difference.

Attachments

• Xv250 (1).JPG
    Xv250 (1).JPG
    433.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Yamaha-XV750-Virago.jpg
    Yamaha-XV750-Virago.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 46
Putting personal preferences aside. Some people like their Virago's. they are comfortable, reliable strong bikes whose owners get a lot of enjoyment from them...............

Whats with the negativity. Second, (Or should i say third), thread today dissing on bikes. Is it raining in your part of the country and nothing better do do

Ever noticed the XV250 looks quite alright, sort of like a miniature Harley. But the 535 and 750 miss the mark.

I've often wondered why, then it hit me: The motor in the 250 is set further back in the frame, and the V configerations are different, the 250 jugs are set at a narrower angle. The 250 looks around 60-70 degrees, whereas the 750/535 look more like 80-90 degrees. makes a hell of a difference.
IIRC, the first Virago is a 75 degree V twin. The engine is a stressed member.

In all fairness if I find a 1100 virago in decent shape, cheap I might buy it.

Not that I love the looks but it would be a good light long distance touring platform for very few dinero.
1677031503386.png

button tufted Naugahyde couch seat, :heart:

Reading through various 90s cruiser comparison tests, the Virago compares very favourably on performance and comfort, though the styling usually leaves testers cold.
My 7/11 hybrid is almost done. It will be a decent 20 footer appearance wise, but it's just a proof of concept at this point. If I like it, I will swap in the 750 heads from the old engine to bring compression up from 8.3:1 to 10.1:1 for extree hijinx.

I've decided to call this bike "Tetanus". I want to get one of those smirking troll stickers for the tank badge.

1677361142078.png

Last edited:
It's very important to give your bike a name, I've had names for all my bikes, I've used the same name for all of them 'bike'. I've departed a little with my latest bike though, I've decided to call it 'TX650'. It's also very important to be creative when coming up with a name, so as not to be confused with other bikes!

It's getting harder to come up with new names.
I don't name ALL my bikes, but many of the XS650's get names if nothing else to keep all my bike thrashing threads on here straight. :laugh2:
Of the bikes I've owned, Madness prolly the most :heart:.

A Honda CL77 scrambler, Pie machine was the first and I didn't name it.

I have no creativity when it comes to bike names. I refer to them, mostly in conversation with family - who know nothing of bikes - as:
blue bike,
yellow bike,
green bike,
black bike,
red bike (in progress),
orange bike (next up),
black....well now it's getting confusing, so....

Last edited:
I have no creativity when it comes to bike names. I refer to them, mostly in conversation with family - who no nothing of bikes - as:
blue bike,
yellow bike,
green bike,
black bike,
red bike (in progress),
orange bike (next up),
black....well now it's getting confusing, so....
You have creativity someplace else and it’s quite a gift. With or without a name, I look in awe.

Turning out not too bad. Have to repair the clear coat that pulled off with the 2 sided tape when badge application went pear shaped. I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the Spraymax 2k. Colour is GM Ming Blue.

Couple of things need tending to. Low oil light seems to be permanently on. Brake pedal does no actuate the brake light. Right fuel tap is leaking. Still lots of black paint to get off. The pipes are in rough shpe. Both mufflers seemed to have had saddlebags melt onto them which caused some deep corrosion pit. If this bike works out like I hope, I'll probably spring for some black staggered duals. Or I'll lets some moths out of my wallet and get a Guzzi.
20230702_205237.jpg

Last edited:
Back