Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Well, if the service manager spoke to you for nearly an hour and a half, he wasn't doing that to waste his time. If he saw no potential, you would have been outta there a lot sooner.

Might depend on how many other good candidates he saw.

Good luck!

Well, I'll say this .. he had someone scheduled at 11, and then me at 11:30. If he was planning on 30 minutes per person then I think it's a good thing. He was speaking more than I was. So he wasn't rushed or being held back by me. I'm still waiting to hear back. Time is standing still lol!

So, I'm going to be scheduled for an interview at Motomember. I hope to get a job as a technician but they're opening a new location so there are multiple jobs available. From service tech, to salesman, to parts guy, or service writer.

I NEED ADVICE.

As someone who is passionate about the world of motorcycles, I feel I have what it takes to do either of these jobs (aside from sales but I'd be willing to learn...) I want to hear from you all, if you don't mind. After all, most of you have a few more years of life experience under your belt. I've never felt like this... What I mean is: I've never really WANTED to work somewhere before. Every job until this point has more or less been to learn, or to make ends meet. Stepping stones if you will. So. I'm all ears. If anyone has worked in the motorcycle sales/service industry, enlighten me with your wisdom, and experience. Help me out!!! In return, I'll mail you a keychain or sticker if I get the job :laugh:

This is of course from another part of the world. And I have not worked professionally with motorcycles
But as I am reading this it is a job within something that is a bit in the Past time Hobby sector.
And even if the shopping experience should be good everywhere. An ability to cooperate and being able to
handle customers and different people is perhaps the most important aspect in the " Service sector "
If the customer gets upset or angry he wont come back. He does not even need go by a Motorcycle .He can play golf instead.
That is a skill I don't know if can be learned . Or if it is something one is born with.

I remember a Hot dog stand In my home town Where the proprietor sold Vodka Saturday Nights at the backdoor to repeat customers.
Always joking with customers .. The boys drove across town past 3 or 4 other stands :just to get there.
Here in town are a couple a cafe's with girls with the same perfect customer treatment.
Leaving there with a smile on your face and coffee in the belly.

Ability to work independently has been a factor .. Some bosses are looking for someone that can do everything with no or
minimal supervision. The ideal is if he does the bosses job also. Might be different in the USA.

Not reading in to much in it :but A person out there in the shop .. Shifting oil Should the door open 8 men walk in.
I would regard it as factor if as a boss if I have people that can wipe off the hands. Walk out there talk the talk ..
Meeting people .. Show them around ..Getting the coffee out and the Brochures out.
Getting out the sales responsible if numbers should be discussed.

Again I don't know USA or your age .But I once landed a Construction job by telling the manager on the phone
" I want the Job " ..
I was at the interview a few minutes in the door flew up .. Something had happened I was thrown
out
Sorry we need to break up.need to take care of this.
After a couple of days I realized I need to do something.. Called him up .
I'm interested I want the job
Fine come Thursday 2 o clock ..I believed I was going for a second interview.
Not over the threshold
When can you start ..? .What size overall do you take ..?
Had some qualifications ... The Physics was into sports ..And was interested
He gave me the job..Worked out fine ..Mid 70 ies
Perhaps the best job I have had.
The recruiter boss may have called someone at the Sheet metal shop where I worked or did it on a gut feeling in a situation where the orders was coming ... quickly needing to hire -- but I got the job.

Had my interview today at 11:30 I showed up early, and got to sit down at 11:20 with the service manager that interviewed me. The interview went on til 12:45. I'm hoping that's a good thing. He had plenty of questions regarding my know-how with certain mechanical tasks such as shim under bucket valve systems, leak down testing, fuel pump volume tests, etc. I built a well rounded portfolio showcasing my experience and knowledge using the XS650 build for reference. I used pictures of my build process and it seemed to be a useful tool in my portfolio. I'm going to hopefully be scheduled for a second interview within a weeks time. I'm looking forward to it, and hoping to get a job offer.

I left feeling like the experience was almost entirely positive. I was able to answer most of his skills questions, and I was 100% honest, and true to myself, and him. Here's to hoping guys!!!

Also, thanks for all the advice!!!

Good luck! Now for some more advice. This may be "old school" but write that guy a handwritten thank you note. Something like this:

Mr. Whateverhisnameis,
I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to talk with me about the service tech position at ABC Cycles. It was a great chance to learn about your shop and what you're looking for in your next tech. I believe my experience, skillset, enthusiasm and my willingness to learn make me a great choice for the position. I'm really excited for the opportunity to contribute to the success of your service department.
Thanks again and I look forward to talking with you soon.
Sincerely,
(yournamehere)

Then, go and hand deliver it to someone behind the counter and ask them to hand it to him.

Good luck! Now for some more advice. This may be "old school" but write that guy a handwritten thank you note. Something like this:

Mr. Whateverhisnameis,
I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to talk with me about the service tech position at ABC Cycles. It was a great chance to learn about your shop and what you're looking for in your next tech. I believe my experience, skillset, enthusiasm and my willingness to learn make me a great choice for the position. I'm really excited for the opportunity to contribute to the success of your service department.
Thanks again and I look forward to talking with you soon.
Sincerely,
(yournamehere)

Then, go and hand deliver it to someone behind the counter and ask them to hand it to him.
Yes, for sure! Absolutely!

Well boys and girls, I'm hired!

I'm the first service tech they hired for the new building, so I get to go in and claim my own space, set up my tools how I like them, and help organize the service area before we start taking in bikes for service!!! What a great feeling!

On a side note, today of all days my transmission in my car decides it wants to start shitting the bed... So I'm likely going to need a new car in order to make it to my new career reliably...

LavishSillyCassowary-size_restricted.gif

Congratulations! Remember to pay attention to your defensive game. You'll run into customers who'll claim that any defect that emerges later is your fault. Expect it, and don't let it get you down. Careful documentation can put most of that BS to rest.

Really pleased for you, well done.
Now just blend into the company team and Make it your space. Accept there will be less knowledgable people above you and gently impose your ability to greater effect. No bull at the gate approach.
With time you will go up the company ladder.

Well, I "worked" my first two days, and it was a blast. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it. I seem to get along nicely with my boss, and service manager. They're full of knowledge.

In other news, I bought a truck! So I'll be able to take the XS to and from work for extra special attention on the lift, and around the shop for general purposes. Who knows, maybe it'll be my daily to work next spring... After all, I've got all winter to put the final touches on it. I've got shop tools to my advantage. Fork vices, battery load testers, a knowledgeable manager, and nothing but time after my shifts to get it really working nicely. Such an amazing opportunity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-152335_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925-152335_Google.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20210925-152844_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925-152844_Google.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 91
Well, I "worked" my first two days, and it was a blast. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it. I seem to get along nicely with my boss, and service manager. They're full of knowledge.

In other news, I bought a truck! So I'll be able to take the XS to and from work for extra special attention on the lift, and around the shop for general purposes. Who knows, maybe it'll be my daily to work next spring... After all, I've got all winter to put the final touches on it. I've got shop tools to my advantage. Fork vices, battery load testers, a knowledgeable manager, and nothing but time after my shifts to get it really working nicely. Such an amazing opportunity.
That’s great to hear. Be like a sponge and absorbe all you can. “Knowledge is power” is often quoted, and never a truer phrase was spoken. Enjoy yourself, and the build.

Back