Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Are you running gold valves or knock offs?
I’m running RaceTech Gold Valves, the real deal. Custom springs were provided by Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA. To do it over, I'd source the RaceTech Gold Valves from Traxxion. My customer service experience was much better there.

I’m running RaceTech Gold Valves, the real deal. Custom springs were provided by Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA. To do it over, I'd source the RaceTech Gold Valves from Traxxion. My customer service experience was much better there.
What are your thoughts now VS pre gold valve performance on the handling?

On my XS2, just as an experiment, I bought a quart of 30 weight hydraulic oil from Walmart to use in my forks. It works perfectly and I can tell no difference in the feel between my ‘77D that is running 10 weight Bel Ray fork oil. :shrug:
C06D5096-E789-4E1F-8222-CD1F1276B4C9.jpeg

Are you running gold valves or knock offs?
I’m running RaceTech. Traxx
1528672_10201284220043782_1568221326_n.jpg

Tilt the picture so the road is flat, because I wasn't climbing a hill. I have 35 mm laden sag front and rear, also two-up with preload adjustment. My tires stay firmly in contact with the pavement. It's very confidence inspiring. In the photo, I'm moving very fast through a sweeper with my daughter. It's awesome.

On these bumpy Mississippi roads, it's very harsh. However, I can change the springs and adjust the valves to make it more pliable.

upload_2021-10-29_11-14-2.png

You can't really see it, but the center stand is the first thing to contact the pavement and I'm pretty close. Even at that speed, I can change my line. Also, I'm in an area where I can see all the way around. I'm not really one to drive fast, I just prefer not to slow for turns I can see my way through. I don't want y'all to get the impression that I'm crazy.
One more thing. What is "VS"?

Verses (before verses after)
The OE set-up on my XS650 and my XS1100 is progressive wound springs. It's a very good "one size fits all" set-up. I think it's good. My XS1100 is now set for well groomed hard corner Appalachian roads. It's no longer just fine for everyone and everything. Around here the most fun on the XS Eleven is hard acceleration. I can tune it to these roads, if I want to. The Ozarks are not far away!

There are two unknowns with knockoff valves. One is the rate of the valve's preload spring, which is critical. The other is consistency of machining. Race Tech has strict QA procedures. With Chiwanese knockoffs, the manufacturer will deliver as much quality inspection as the price point allows.Ya gets what ya pays for.

Emulator valves modulate damping in response to the size and profile of bumps. Progressively wound fork springs send the valves false signals.

+1 re. Traxxion Dynamics. Their business conduct gets my highest rating for expertise and integrity.

Last edited:
+1 re. Traxxion Dynamics. Their business conduct gets my highest rating for expertise and integrity.
IMHO, as close to perfection as you can get is just send your forks to Traxxion Dynamics. I send this message on behalf of others as well as myself.

Lol just tell them "make em betterer then they was" and mail em' off huh? I'll ride it as is and see what I think about the way it handles. I'd be lying though, if I said I didn't scrape pegs on our 2019 rebel 300 every. Time. I ride it. I corner hard, I use every inch of the tires, and I late brake like I'm on the Isle of Mann. I don't ride like that all the time, but I ride like that every time... If that makes sense. On a 2 hour ride, twenty minutes of it is thrashy, fun, and full of giggles.

In my spare time at work fiddling with creative possibilities for a new button on my existing switch housing. Is it worth my time? Maybe not... I know replacements can be purchased but while I'm waiting to afford those I may as well see if I can't clean up the existing ones and give them paint and just make them a Lil custom. If I can get the original switches looking better and functioning properly then I'll use them.

Attachments

• 20211103_175221.jpg
    20211103_175221.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 110
Been really wanting to finish some things up on the project... Been absent from the forum for a good while, life got busy. We have been working hard to regain financial stability so there's been no free money to funnel into the build.

I intend to spend some nights at the shop tying up loose ends after hours. My service manager is always eager to go home and they don't want me there by myself so it's hard to squeeze in time to do the work (unless I clock out and work on it mid day but I need the hours)

I'll be getting pictures and updates ASAP. I promise...

Here's how it sits currently.. I wish I could say the chain is hooked up and stuff but soon it will get there. Tomorrow I've got two side by sides to build, 50 miles to put on a VStar 1100 for carb diagnosis, a banshee in shambles, and a Kawasaki utility four wheeler that is all kinds of messed up. There's never a dull moment and I love it.

I just wish there were more opportunities for my precious XS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211227-072033_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-072033_Gallery.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 100
I'm nearing the 6 month mark at the dealership as a technician. I'm happy to say I've learned a lot, and took my time doing each and every job to the best of my abilities. I've got a long way to go, and hopefully always will, because the moment I think I know it all, there will be more to learn, and that's what I love about the motorcycle industry.

Mondays are my days off. I come in to assemble new units for some OT, and to tinker here and there on my XS.

I got a new toolbox to prevent losing any more tools. My box couldn't hold all that I've acquired so it was time for an upgrade.

To celebrate the new addition to my workspace, I installed the drive chain on the bike. Marking the first real thing I did to further it's completion in probably six months. I also installed the chain guide and side cover. It gave me a good idea of what I need to do next. I need to center up my handlebars, and see if my brake master cylinder will fit clean and not interfere with the triple tree, I want to put an LED headlight on it, and signals that wrap around the forks. I need to upgrade from a stock throttle because it's just not gonna make the cut. The switches, throttle, and cable are all pretty well beat. So that's all going to be replaced with aftermarket materials that give it a fresh look and feel.

But boy oh boy does it feel good to make some progress on it again. It also feels very good to see it have a drive chain back on it. It's really starting to look like something now.

Attachments

• Snapchat-181877865.jpg
    Snapchat-181877865.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220321_120134.jpg
    20220321_120134.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 83
Good to see you're still working there and still learning. Now... git back to the overtime so you can fill the new box up. ;)
I have a good bit of work under my belt and still know almost nothing lol. I managed to repair a wiring harness on a raptor 700 that a mouse made a snack out of though. It was one of the more rewarding repairs I've made as a technician since I've been there. It only took me three hours for a full service and a harness repair.

I've worked on way more side by sides than I was prepared for. It's a great time.

I'm going to try and make it a point to keep up with the forum more frequently. I plan to have some work to do to the XS bi-weekly from now on. Let's see if I can get my first ride on this fresh build before summer.

Attachments

• 20220317_143009.jpg
    20220317_143009.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220317_143025.jpg
    20220317_143025.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220317_143037.jpg
    20220317_143037.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 76
Back