Yamaha Bobber Build Ground Up

xTomx

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So here we go, first ground up yamaha build.

Decided i needed a new project for the year and no more space for another rat rod :/

But time for the next best thing!

So this is also my first build im going to keep a full log of with pictures of EVERYTHING so that way I dont do something stupid :doh: and someone can catch it hopefully

So here is the first update of what ive done this past week

Craigslist searched for only 2 days and found a guy with extra everything and gave me a frame, bottom end, jugs, rockers and cover for $80 bucks. Score.

Well after sanding the neck turns out the VINs were scratched. Oh well this happened on a few bikes i had in Phoenix. Turns out washington state isnt so happy to give out builder VINs like AZ does.

So hit him back up 2 days later and he sold me a titled frame, full harness w/ coils, and a triple tree with new bearings for $150. Still in my opinion... Score.

$25 bucks later had the jugs tanked and honed ready for paint and polish which ill be starting today

Last thursday went ahead and ordered a hardtail from Elswick.... not really in my budget, but i dont have the shop space to make a jig and get it square :banghead:
But anyways it a 4in stretch and going to be a 5in ride height, will be here in 2 weeks and will be going on just a day or two after.

Still looking this week for forks, not sure if i want to buy new or just rebuild old ones
Also need a head still, thinkin ebay
And engine side overs, ebay also unless can find on CL

firstframejugsbottomend.jpg

newframeharness.jpg

honedjugs.jpg

What are you using for your bottom end..?? The bottom end in the photos looks like it requires a lot of work, can you source a running motor elswhere..??

im pullin the case apart here this afternoon so i know what im working with, havent really found in the area anyone whos lettin go of these parts but im keepin my eye open. Regardless of what im gettin im gonna be doing a full rebuild, no short cuts, goal is to ride it all the time so i need it reliable

Try to find a good engine, you have frame and title. You will put way too much into that lump before it's a runner.

Update to the night, took a good 3 hours to attempt to split the cases, until my idea got it done in only 15 minutes. It didnt fit in my oven very well and i didnt have a bunch of foil and a spare burner. So next best thing. Bbq at 220ish degrees for 15 minutes. Success. All appears good so far, will be cleaning and inspecting tomorrow. Think im gonna need new rods as suspected...

bbqtime.jpg

bbqdone.jpg

So! Not enough time for an update recently, but... lots of good things happened. In my search for a crank with good rods i somehow managed to snag up a complete bike with good compression. Appears to of had some wiring issues and has been non running since 2006. So got it all taken apart and im starting on the engine tear down here today. Also got an email from Elswick and my hardtail should be here friday or early next week!

Some pics of it!
complete.jpg

firstteardown.jpg

Ill take mine medium rare please :) Gotta give you kudos for being ambitious that motor is the most Filthy dirty looking thing ive seen ever ! Jugs turned out nice ,keep at it

Necessity is the mother of invention. Wouldn't have thought of BBQing my motor but good idea. Pretty sure the wife'd BBQ me :)

just an update, been slow this past few weeks. Got my hardtail from Elswick and im extremely happy! im lovin the stance. ive been waiting on seals and gaskets to come in the mail so in the meantime ive just been messin around with the fitment and trying to decide the overall look i want this to have. So heres a few pics! Would love some feedback! and yes the frame is very rough because it was cut and not sanded BUT nothing is welded yet so dont panic haha

hardtail.jpg

hardtailmockup.jpg

mockup.jpg

Back