Yamaha parallel twin - modern version

txxs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Saw this XSR700 when I was browsing at the local Yamaha dealer today -
a 655 cc parallel twin with 270 degree crank.
It is a direct descendent of the XS1.
(In one of the press releases about a year ago Yamaha said it "paid homage to the XS650....")
I've heard of good reviews and reports.

I don't really like the style (all modern bikes are ugly?).
It sure doesn't look much like a XS1 (except the tank is green and white) but it kind of grows on you after a while.
IMG_0069.jpg

Just curious if anyone on here an XSR700.

Yes, indeed, all new bikes are ugly. They're either giant monstrosity, two-wheeled cars or some kind of rocket bike straight out of a "Tron" movie. It's as if the designers lost sight of the fact that these are 'motored-cycles'. Their lineage is lost in angular form, and what appear to be very uncomfortable riding positions. Furthermore, how do you turn a wrench without having to spend hours removing shields and covers? And why do you need a radiator on what should be an air-cooled engine? You can barely see an engine in there! Damn, I'm getting old...

Right, the origami styling of some 21st Century bikes isn't what I'd prefer to see, but I'll take function over form any day. I thought he 03 Suzuki SV650 that I rode for 11 years was ugly, but it was hands down the most reliable motorcycle I'd ever owned. My 06 Kawasaki EX650 does a great job as a sports touring ride and is easy on the eyes too. Removing fairing bits to do maintenance is annoying until you've done it a few times and start to realize first, how fast it goes, and second, that you don't have to do it nearly as often as you would on the old iron. A new "vintage style" motorcycle is about as appealing to me as "reproduction antique" furniture; however well executed it is, it's not the real thing, and I don't pay for phony.

TM, nothing Yamaha ever does is going to match the looks of that 78 Standard of yours! Guys, if you want the classic look, pay the dues in work, don't grouse because you can't just go out and buy it new in a reproduction.

Not out of a Tron movie - Transformers.
You say the right words, and this collection of bolted together parts becomes, say, a spotlight on wheels with its own power generator heat dissipater. That headlight is the give-a-way...
The tank-seat line and above flows nicely; almost Ducati-ish. But below, it looks like it was designed by a committee.
I believe the lifted the radiator off my Valkyrie 1500; I am missing one...
Not to throw stones... but to repeat a sig line that stuck with me from somewhere: "If looks did not matter, we'd all be riding SV650's..."

Note to Yamaha Designers: The words "Headlight Bucket" is not generally to be taken literally as bolting one to the other...
:lmao:

The reality is, I have a couple of old Specials that I can ride. Yes, they have shortcomings. Yes, I have to do maintenance on them. No, they don't always perform as well as modern bikes. But, when I'm in the saddle, I'm always enjoying the ride!

Yeah, that doesn't move me. Probably has good performance but the look leaves me cold.
Retro ceartainly can be done right. Triumphs Street Twin for example hits all the right visual cues, even though it's water cooled and fuel injected. The radiator is thin and pretty well concealed between the frame down tubes and there are no visible coolant hoses anywhere, and the motor is finned and adds functionality to assist in cooling. I rode one when they first came out and I can tell you they are the real deal. They are light and nimble and narrow, they make great torque and sound wonderful.
I came sooo close to buying one of these.
IMG_4851.JPG

Last edited:
If the Kaw w650 didn't flop like it did, we would prob have a few classic styled bikes to choose from today. I still might pick up a w650 one of these days.

When I got rid of my road king I looked at a Triumph America I loved the looks and the light feel of the bike but the chain drive was the deal breaker. My replacement bike is going to get a ton of miles [hopefully] and chain maintenance and mess just didn't fit. Not sure why they lelt the chain on the America, their big bagger is belt drive.

Yeah,, I've always wondered why Yamaha have not done a true retro styled version of the XS650.
Maybe the market does not exist for large sales numbers any more.
But considering that the XS650 was their longest running and biggest selling model as well as their first four stroke to boot, one would think that they "owe" it to the XS650 to do a parallel twin that looks decent but still has all the latest technology.

Maybe just wishful thing on my part.

OK. To take a page from my speech to kids at work: don't just tell me why something is screwed up; bring me a solution. Or 2.

Here's an idea. Back to the roots of the XS650, just updated. A modern, good looking frame/tank/seat combo, with a parallel twin powerplant.

Here's a good looking start:
Duc%2062.jpg

And here is a modern (dual OH cam, finger followers, counter balanced, belt drive), 800cc good looking, smallish, parallel twin engine:
BMW%20800.jpg

That F800 is a great modern, reliable engine. In the F800, you get FI, 80 RW HP, 50 ft-lbs torque, a 12.1 sec quarter miles, 0-60 3.9 seconds, all in a 480 lb package. Yamaha could also just scale down their Tenere motor - and clean up some of the crap bolted onto it so that you don't need stupid plastic covers to fair-in spots where there are awkward visual gaps or cover ill-designed (ugly) hardware.

Here's the F800. Great drivetrain, but still taking too many drinks (IMO) from the Transformer Kool-Aid.

F800.jpg

Put some Yamaha engineers on this to bring it up to Jap reliability, maybe add one of the new Bosch anti-lock brake systems (the complete controller/modulator is about the same size as the coffee cup on your desk), and I'd buy one.

Hm. Lookee here:
F800%20engine%20ebay.jpg

Dang. This would be a fun project. Wish I had more time and $...:geek:

Edit: Looking at the XSR700 front wheel, it appears it does have abs. So it has THAT going for it...

Last edited:
Yes people wonder if there is a market for the retro styled bike and yet Triumph found, that IS their market. When they came back from the dead they went all in with high performance bikes that had modern styling. It wasn't until a few years had passed that they made one version of their old Bonneville.
Since then , the classically styled Bonneville line up makes up the bulk of their sales. Customers have really responded to them.

That new Yamaha might be good in it's own design and performance, but please, Yamaha, don't call it a 'replica' of an XS1.
I agree with Mailman about the Street Twin...the T100 is nice too.

OK, its green and white. The purist in me says "air cooled and kick start only". The old guy says "pain mitigation is now required_electric start, yup" A motorcycle must, however, look like a motorcycle not some sci-fi transport thing! john

So true johns. I so miss the looks of the old 4 piper Kawi and Hondas. Bikes that looked like bikes not a reject from a transformers movie. My 08 Bonneville get's many compliments from the non biker crowd. "Hey my dad had one of those in the 60's/70's" Or even the original Triumph owners saying, " That is a motorcycle"

Back