For Sale - Yamaha Seca 650

madmax-im

Yamaha...Go your own way...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Saw this in the Tucson CL...nice bike and the price is a steal...cool ride even if it isnt a parallel twin...
https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/d/tucson-82-yamaha-seca-xj650/6866277489.html
01717_cjIMerVZS05_1200x900.jpg

I am selling my 1982 Yamaha XJ650. It runs great and is is pretty decent shape for a bike its age. It has a fresh oil and filter change and the battery is 3months old. Had all of the carb boots replaced a few years ago. I ride it only enough to keep everything running ok. The miles are original. The title is Rebuilt/Salvage as my son had a mishap with and and rather than to find a new headlight basket the insurance company scrapped it out and I bought it and found a headlight basket and did the repairs and had the title restored. It does come with the Yamaha Service Manual. Am not interested in trades and am firm on the price.

Last edited:
That XJ was the best 650 of the era until Honda did the Night Hawk of '83 (?). The XJ had rather long gearing, a better cylinder head than the
maxim 650 and decent comfort and handling. I sold mine with 49000 miles on it, was just as fast and leak free as when new.

I bought one new in '82. Had it until 2014. Yamaha brought these out in '81 with the hopes of a race bike to compete with the Kaw and Suzuki, but they put a shaft drive on it and the club racers couldn't change gearing, so it didn't sell well. Great bike though.
This one looks like it has the original seat....notice that the right case saver did it's job.
If it were in Denver area, I'd buy it.

I bought one new in '82. Had it until 2014. Yamaha brought these out in '81 with the hopes of a race bike to compete with the Kaw and Suzuki, but they put a shaft drive on it and the club racers couldn't change gearing, so it didn't sell well. Great bike though.
This one looks like it has the original seat....notice that the right case saver did it's job.
If it were in Denver area, I'd buy it.
Yes i did notice that its been in an accident on its right side... and the seller acknowledges that...right side footpegs are not perfectly lined up with the left side and the right front turn signal as well...front fender took some light damage and the engine is scraped up slighly...and ofc the case guards are not symmetical and the r. side cover has some kind of imperfection on it but overall for $1000 this is a steal! If it was local to me..i would already own it...LOL

Last edited:
That’s a great looking little bike! I happen to love shafties, I’ve had a couple and they are so easy to own.
The salvage title is unfortunate. I bought a bike with a salvage title once, and I’m not sure I’d do it again. It made re sale difficult.

It's a Rebuilt title..not Salvage..Ive owned an 82 XJ110Maxim for 30 yrs as the original owner..I love shafties too .and I would love to have this one as well...edit...owner does say rebuilt/salvage..but that would not deter me in this particular case...

Last edited:
With good tires and suspension work (fork preload and heavier oil, shocks) you can drag a knee in corners, the pegs are far enough back that you can really move around on the bike. The riding position is right for unfaired 75mph cruising, leaning just little bit forward into the wind.

Back