Yamaha XS 650 Police Special New Zealand

View attachment 203285 I waited for years for one to pop up for sale. The states never got this model. Mostly pacific rim countries and one or two mid east spots. So... I had extra police bits from my other police[fire builds.... and built one. (Think if you type police in the search the build might show up). Lights front and rear, and siren work....I have bags but haven't installed them yet.... Guess I'll have to get a white shirt and a black tie! Thanks for posting ... :)
What a cool looking bike!

View attachment 203285 I waited for years for one to pop up for sale. The states never got this model. Mostly pacific rim countries and one or two mid east spots. So... I had extra police bits from my other police[fire builds.... and built one. (Think if you type police in the search the build might show up). Lights front and rear, and siren work....I have bags but haven't installed them yet.... Guess I'll have to get a white shirt and a black tie! Thanks for posting ... :)
I want thaaaaaat horn!

@Graelin posted this image and I somewhat color corrected it.
Awesome photos

upload_2021-12-15_5-1-52.png

Last edited:
Yes there are stories of 650 Yamahas throwing officers off. I have seen some photos of standard bikes converted to traffic bikes so may be them.. I was one of the few who preferred the Yamaha. This was what I swapped. I found it a boring bike to ride. The Yamaha despite all its faults had character. The police merger was long after I had gone and not a popular move from MOT officers in general.
View attachment 203288
Cb450P.jpg
My 68' Cb450P.... scored it locally. A fellow purchased it 16 years prior to my buying it at a property deposal sale from a local police department. He ran out of.. health... and put it on ebay. Once I got it home.... every wire had been pulled apart.... took me a day to sort it out and it's a runner. Then I took it down to the frame and about 8 months later it was finished. One of the biggest expenses was the new mufflers. The pursuit lights work and the siren (cable driven from the rear wheel) I discovered shouldn't be applied at freeway speeds. ( seriously LOUD ) Honda introduced the 450 police here in the states, (1965) but it never really took off. Local police departments were pretty much owned by Harley and Honda still had the " little bike " image.

View attachment 203311 My 68' Cb450P.... scored it locally. A fellow purchased it 16 years prior to my buying it at a property deposal sale from a local police department. He ran out of.. health... and put it on ebay. Once I got it home.... every wire had been pulled apart.... took me a day to sort it out and it's a runner. Then I took it down to the frame and about 8 months later it was finished. One of the biggest expenses was the new mufflers. The pursuit lights work and the siren (cable driven from the rear wheel) I discovered shouldn't be applied at freeway speeds. ( seriously LOUD ) Honda introduced the 450 police here in the states, (1965) but it never really took off. Local police departments were pretty much owned by Harley and Honda still had the " little bike " image.
You will notice my bike had two sirens. Because the cable broke so had electric one. We could not get a replacement cable. The cable ones took a long time to stop.

Graelin, thanks for posting up the photos of your police bike from those days. Even though I don't remember the xs650 as a police bike in NZ, it makes sense. When I lived in Auckland, the traffic cops rode Triumph Saints, that was it. So going from a British 650 to a Japanese 650 would be an easy adjustment. My brother and I were the hoons in the area, because we rode loud obnoxious motorcycles. There was one particular traffic cop who was out to get us, just couldn't do it as much as he tried. Every now and then he would ride his Triumph Saint up into our cul de sac, head on a swivel, looking for us. Bikes were well hidden, so no worries. I hope it wasn't you, but I think it was a bit before your police time. If I remember right, his name was Rangi or something.

Graelin, thanks for posting up the photos of your police bike from those days. Even though I don't remember the xs650 as a police bike in NZ, it makes sense. When I lived in Auckland, the traffic cops rode Triumph Saints, that was it. So going from a British 650 to a Japanese 650 would be an easy adjustment. My brother and I were the hoons in the area, because we rode loud obnoxious motorcycles. There was one particular traffic cop who was out to get us, just couldn't do it as much as he tried. Every now and then he would ride his Triumph Saint up into our cul de sac, head on a swivel, looking for us. Bikes were well hidden, so no worries. I hope it wasn't you, but I think it was a bit before your police time. If I remember right, his name was Rangi or something.
Yes I was the local hoon too. At my second interview two questions raised. Wheel-standing RD400 in third gear. I fibbed saying it was only second gear. Next question related to a prolonged high speed pursuit . The poor local sergeant said “we just can’t catch him.” This bike followed the BSA 650 in Cambridge. There were not many Yamaha 650 maybe two or three police specials

A bit of history. Pukekohe Castrol One Hour Proddy race. My RD350.
729F66FD-56CF-4E4D-9755-75A225DFADF0.jpeg

When did you race, Graelin. Been to the classic races at Puke a few times, last time was, maybe, 04or 05. My brother lives in Huntly, so easy for us to do both Pukekohe and then the battle of the streets in Paeroa the next weekend. Been a while since I last went back to NZ, once this covid thing has gone, got to go. Family is slowly moving on, and I,m getting to that age where I do not want to travel.

When did you race, Graelin. Been to the classic races at Puke a few times, last time was, maybe, 04or 05. My brother lives in Huntly, so easy for us to do both Pukekohe and then the battle of the streets in Paeroa the next weekend. Been a while since I last went back to NZ, once this covid thing has gone, got to go. Family is slowly moving on, and I,m getting to that age where I do not want to travel.
I started in club Motocross then in 1975 and 76 did road racing. Suzuki T500 in unlimited class then RD350 and Rd 400. I was asked to ride Ducati Importers ride in the 6 Hr Castrol but it did not run that year. Then joining MOT meant no motor bike or time to race. Married Kids you know the rest.
I have standing offers of bikes to ride in NZ and it is my goal to once again ride there. In West Australia now.
Robbie Dean on his Commando Grey Lynn Auckland 1977 just before I left NZ. A very good rider back then.

Attachments

• A0A35F7B-EA63-4445-8CDD-5722D4F595FB.jpeg
    A0A35F7B-EA63-4445-8CDD-5722D4F595FB.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 118
Xs accident.jpg
I have the kit fitted out for the scene. If the subject is injured, I can cover the boo boo and we can take a shot to celebrate. If the subject didn't make it.. we can say a good word and then toast the dearly departed. ( I went with a fake donut because the first show I entered a " friend " used a real donut and it wasn't nice on a hot day ) :cool:

Back