Yamaha XS650 dying after kill the choke

1981special

XS650 Member
Reaction score

Hello all, a couple of months ago I got the bike running but whenever I turned off the choke it died. I began to take off the carburetor but noticed that there was no clamp on both of the fuel lines. I bought clamps and the problem was fixed, it idled with the choke off.

For the past 2 and a half months I have not been working on the bike and when I thought it was finally ready it died when I turned off the choke. In the video I just put on new fuel lines with clamps to ensure there is no leaks but the bike still died. Note- this time the choke was on as well. I’m very new to bikes but definitely think it’s a carb problem. Any guidance you guys can give on more possible issues?

This is not a stock setup ..so I might be out here. It sounds to me that the ignition is off.
Slightly to advanced.
Or synchronization
I would first try to increase the idle setting se what it does ..
And then check the timing.

Whenever a bike won't run without the enrichment circuit engaged I always go right to the pilots. That usually solves the problem
Update: inspected the bowls of the carbs and there was nothing but rusty gas. Then I checked the fuel tank and it was rusty too. Today I’m going to clean everything up and get a gas tank lining/ sealant and see if that helps at all. Also you were right, one of the pilots was real dirty.

Update: inspected the bowls of the carbs and there was nothing but rusty gas. Then I checked the fuel tank and it was rusty too. Today I’m going to clean everything up and get a gas tank lining/ sealant and see if that helps at all. Also you were right, one of the pilots was real dirty.
Just my .02: Just clean the tank with vinegar or some other de-rusting brew and forego the sealer for now. The sealers are problematic mostly. If you clean it up and keep full of fuel, it may be ok. I'd rather run in-line filters and change them out than deal with sealers

What jp said.
I only line a tank if absolutely necessary or if I have a high dollar paint job going on I don't want to risk. If you do decide to use a liner go with a two-part epoxy liner like Caswell and follow the directions to the letter.

Pilot jets! They are the smallest diameter jets in the carbs, that's why they get plugged. Remove them, take one strand of copper wire from a piece of electrical wire and use that to clear the blockage. (Soaking carb bodies and all metal parts in lacquer thinner, then blowing out with air is also a good idea. No non-metal parts in the thinner!)
One way to clean tanks is put a bunch of nuts and bolts inside them, add a quart or two of solvent and shake them around for a while. There are also tank sealers you can apply to seal the inside of the tank to prevent further rusting. I've had good luck with sealers, both on my bikes and cars.
After doing all the above, before hooking up the fuel lines, check to make sure you've got good gas flow from the petcock.

Tank sealers are best used only in extreme cases where your tank is so very rusted inside that it is threatening to break through the metal.
Many folks have had problems with sealers.

Instead, I suggest that you just clean out the rust with Evapo-Rust, $30 a gallon and worth every penny. Water based and easy to use and it won't harm your lungs or tank paint. I've had a lot of experience with it. It can be used over and over again.

1668210171984.png

Good video:

I leave it in the tank for at least 12 hours. 24 is better.

Tank sealers are best used only in extreme cases where your tank is so very rusted inside that it is threatening to break through the metal.
Many folks have had problems with sealers.

Instead, I suggest that you just clean out the rust with Evapo-Rust, $30 a gallon and worth every penny. Water based and easy to use and it won't harm your lungs or tank paint. I've had a lot of experience with it. It can be used over and over again.

View attachment 229600

Good video:

I leave it in the tank for at least 12 hours. 24 is better.
Thanks for the help, cleaning the carbs today and I will try and find this stuff tomorrow!

The Harbor Freight store in your area should have it for a good price.
I use 2 gallons, but you can slosh it around frequently using one gal.
The warmer the tank and environs, the faster it works.
I suggest 72F or higher. Do it inside. warm the tank ahead of time.

Back