Yamaha XS650 Experimental Clutch, version 2.0

TwoManyXS1Bs

BBQ Hunter
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Experimental clutch, version 2.0

Last year, I made the version 1.0 experimental clutch mod, using adjustable features that I felt was not suitable for others to implement. After determining the settings and measurements, I made the parts for the version 2.0 earlier this year. Now that I've got a few months and about 1000 miles on the thing, it's time to reveal.

To fully understand this mod, here's the previous, original threads:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs650-experimental-clutch.47498/

http://www.xs650.com/threads/finding-neutral-while-stopped-and-in-gear.47568/

The concept and principle is really quite simple. All that happens is the plates are "pulled" apart, accordion style. When the pressure plate moves outward a few thousandths, it pulls on the adjacent steel plate. When that plate has moved outward a few thousandths, it pulls on the next adjacent plate. And so on, until all the plates have been pulled outward equally. A clutch plate "spreader", if you will. Doesn't use any spreader springs which would compete with the clutch's compression springs.

To do this, takes advantage of a feature that I believe is unique to the XS650 clutch. The large exposed annular space between the clutch hub and the ID of the friction plates. This area was once occupied by the "damper" o-rings on the early bikes. Long discontinued, the space previously occupied by those o-rings is large enough to fit small #2-56 machine screws that connect the steel plates.

Although the concept is simple, the execution is painstakingly tedious and complicated, requiring drill fixtures and darn near watchmaker precision. Holes must be precisely positioned, drilled, and tapped. Shoulder screws, with specific diameters and lengths are used.

The mod consists of drilled and tapped holes, and 21 shoulder screws. Spread uniformly about the clutch, this adds only 4 grams to the clutch weight. Since the holes and screws only occupy the unused region of the clutch, they have no other impact on clutch operation. And, the screws can be removed to return the clutch to its original configuration...

The Master Pattern

The key to this mod is the equal distribution of the spreader screws. Not easy, since the clutch hub uses 29 splines, a prime number. There are 3 groups of 3 holes each, making a total of 9 holes in the pattern. At the top of the pattern is an indexing mark, which will align with the hub's indexing mark. Notice the group numbers 1, 2, and 3.

ClutchMod01.jpg

This master pattern is transferred to each of the 6 steel plates.

ClutchMod02.jpg

Originally, to reduce confusion, I stamped an indexing mark, then drilled and tapped all 9 holes, in each of the 6 steel plates. All screws and threaded holes are #2-56.

For the version 2.0 clutch, not all of these holes need be drilled and tapped.

2 steel plates will be marked at the indexing point with a "1".
2 steel plates will be marked at the indexing point with a "2".
2 steel plates will be marked at the indexing point with a "3".

What follows is a pictorial sequence of how this was done. With over 50 pics, and a jumbled mess in my head, this will take some time to post...

With the drill guide still clamped in place, place a group "1" steel plate and the pressure plate onto the clutch hub. Ensure that alignment marks are aligned. Clamp this assembly together.

ClutchMod08.jpg

Now, drill a 1/16" hole, starting from the previously drilled hub flange hole, through the drill guide, through the steel plate, and fully through the pressure plate.

ClutchMod09.jpg

Now we have 3 holes, 1/16", precisely aligned through the pressure plate, steel plate, and hub flange.

ClutchMod10.jpg

Remove the pressure plate and steel plate.

Do this same sequence for the other 2 group "1" holes. First on the hub flange, then on the steel plate and pressure plate.

The Drill Fixture

Now that the position of the holes in the steel plate, relative to the spline fingers, has been established, this first plate can be used as a master for building a drill guided fixture.

For this, I used oak planks and small hold-down clamps. A thick plate hovering above the steel plate will become the drill guide. The clamp corners are positioned so that the steel plate's spline fingers will reliably and repeatedly be positioned.

ClutchMod11.jpg

The guide plate is removed, the fixture is fitted to the X/Y table of a mill or drill press, and the table is moved to get the steel plate's 1/16" hole precisely aligned with the drill quill. Then, the guide plate is reinstalled, and a 1/16" hole is drilled through the guide plate.

ClutchMod12.jpg

This is now the master drill fixture.
All the required holes in the remaining steel plates are now drilled to 1/16", as pilot holes for the next operations.

Last edited:
After all the other holes are drilled, the drill guide plate is removed, the next clearance holes and tapping operation can commence. This is where it can get complicated.

The #2-56 shoulder screws require a #50 (0.070") hole for tapping.

The brass tubing used for the spacing shoulders is 3mm (0.118") diameter.
The clearance hole for the spacing shoulders is 1/8" (0.125").

The group "1" steel discs will have:
1/8" holes in their #1 position,
#50 (0.070") drilled and #2-56 tapped holes in their #2 position.

The group "2" steel discs will have:
1/8" holes in their #2 position,
#50 (0.070") drilled and #2-56 tapped holes in their #3 position.

The group "3" steel discs will have:
1/8" holes in their #3 position,
#50 (0.070") drilled and #2-56 tapped holes in their #1 position.

ClutchMod13.jpg

I use the closer fitting "H2" #2-56 taps.
Check the tapped holes for close fit.

ClutchMod14.jpg

Once all those mods to the steel plates are complete, the fixture is no longer needed, and can be removed.

The hub is mounted squarely to the drill/mill base, and its 1/16" pilot hole is aligned under the drill quill. Open the hole to #50 (0.070"), and tap #2-56 completely through.

ClutchMod15.jpg

Do this for all 3 holes in the clutch hub.

Check the tapped threads.

ClutchMod16.jpg

For the version 2.0 mod, a part of the raised ridge alongside the tapped hole must be countersunk to allow for full seating of the shoulder screws. This countersinking step can be done prior to the previous post on hub threading.

ClutchMod16a.jpg

WOW ! amazing work there 2M ! when are you going to harness the power of an out of balanced wheel and have the world by the short and curlies ??? you could do it ... not many people could !
keep it up ! ..... Very neat stuff !
Bob......

Ok, intriguing part 2.

The pressure plate.

The pressure plate will have (3) 1/16" holes from the earlier procedure. These need to be opened up to 1/8" (0.125), to allow the 3mm (0.118") shoulder screws to pass. A 0.204" drillbit is modified as a piloted counterbore, and the head of the screw will fit in there.

ClutchMod19.jpg

A gauging button is fashioned from brass, large OD 0.200", small OD just under 0.125". This will be used to measure the counterbore depth.
ClutchMod18a.jpg

Fit the gauging button in each of the counterbored holes.

ClutchMod19a.jpg

And measure the button's protrusion.

ClutchMod19b.jpg

All (3) counterbores must be equal depth.
Knowing the length of the gauge button, and the measurement above, should give you the thickness of the 1/8" hole section, the part under the screwhead. A target value of around 0.150" works fine, and it's very important that all (3) of these sections are the same...

Last edited:
The Separator Screws

The ideal separator screws would be precision machined shoulder screws, with full-length threads up to the shoulder section, and 5mm heads, 1.5mm - 2mm thick, with 2mm hex drive sockets.

They don't exist. Use #2-56 button head screws, with 3mm brass tubing as spacer sleeves. This sketch shows a cross section of a spacer screw and sleeve, as fitted into the clutch plates.

ClutchPartsV2-01.jpg

The length of the sleeve is critical, as it establishes how far a steel plate can move before it pulls the adjacent plate. This length comes from (3) measurements.

1. The thickness of the friction disc.
2. The thickness of the steel plate.
3. The max travel of the pressure plate, divided by 7.

1. My Barnett clutch plates measure just over 3.0mm, at 0.119".
2. My steel plates measure at 1.35mm (0.053")
3. I'm working with a max pressure plate displacement of about 1.1mm (0.044"). Divided amongst the (7) friction plates, that max value of 0.044" divided by 7 is close to 0.006".

Adding those (3), 0.119" + 0.053" + 0.006" = 0.178"
So, for my particular clutch setup, the spacing sleeves would be 0.178".

A lathe attachment to cut the spacing sleeves.
SpacerTrimmer.jpg

Back