Yamahas in Paris (ON)

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend is the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group annual rally in Paris, Ontario. I am not a member at this time. There was a swap meet, show and shine and so on. Paris is a pretty town in SW Ontario that seems to attract old bikes and classic cars, rods gatherings.
At the show and shine there was a '76 with side car and a '72 without that encumbrance. Both well done. Out on the field and a bit too clean for a daily driver was a well done tracker.
This meet was heavy in the Brit bikes, also older Harleys and several nice examples of early 4 cylinder American bikes. As I was walking by the owner of an Excelsior side car rig was loading his passenger in, and with one kick, putted off. I was impressed.
Swap meet was extensive, saw a fellow walk off with a dirty set of BS 38 linked carbs for $10.00.
Given the extensive support and interest for the XS650's, I was surprised to see such a small representation of the genre there. What are we - chopped liver? Not worthy to be in contact with the Norton and Matchless crew?

Attachments

• SAM_0288.JPG
    SAM_0288.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 221
  • SAM_0252.jpg
    SAM_0252.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 203
  • SAM_0256.jpg
    SAM_0256.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 223
  • SAM_0254.jpg
    SAM_0254.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 207
  • SAM_0236.JPG
    SAM_0236.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 213
  • SAM_0237.jpg
    SAM_0237.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 214
  • SAM_0239.JPG
    SAM_0239.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 178
  • SAM_0241.jpg
    SAM_0241.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 180
  • SAM_0251.jpg
    SAM_0251.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 209
  • SAM_0293.JPG
    SAM_0293.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 201
  • SAM_0287.JPG
    SAM_0287.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 188
That seems like a typical representation for the XS650. When I go to a bike night around the Calgary area, most times I'm the only XS650 there. Occasionally there will be 2.

I guess the hardtail guys don't show up at those kind of events.

This weekend is the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group annual rally in Paris, Ontario. I am not a member at this time. - - -
At the show and shine there was a '76 with side car and a '72 without that encumbrance.
Given the extensive support and interest for the XS650's, - - - I was surprised to see such a small representation of the genre there. What are we - chopped liver? Not worthy to be in contact with the Norton and Matchless crew?

Hi lakeview,
nice pics. I haven't attended the CVMG National Rally since the last year it was in Welland ON.
We CVMG members are a friendly bunch who will accept anybody, no matter what they ride so sign up, Mr. Frugal.
Then you can ride your XS650 out to Biggar SK for the CVMG Saskatchewan annual show this August long weekend and qualify for the PUB award.
And a sidecar ain't an encumbrance, it's an asset.
Certainly you can't stow 12 dozen beer + ice on a solo bike or take your wife to a social occasion while she's wearing a party dress.

Fred: I had used the e word purposefully, thinking that a hack proponent might enliven the exchange.
CVMG in Saskatchewan, eh? It would be a challenge to ride there on my V-Strom, let alone an XS650, but the north shore of Lake Superior scenery would be worth it!

CVMG in Saskatchewan, eh? It would be a challenge to ride there on my V-Strom, let alone an XS650, but the north shore of Lake Superior scenery would be worth it!

Hi lakeview,
yeah, but west of the Soo it's kinda boring. There's better scenery if you turn north on Hwy 16 just after Portage la Prairie to get to Toontown rather than stay on the TransCanada.
While you are this far west take another week and visit the CVMG's Ponoka Rally in Alberta.
Prepare to camp. Biggar's only motel gets booked solid by early may.

Back