Am I the only one?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to take a picture with my "good" camera.

Whoops, battery is flat. No problem, I've got a spare and a charger right...uh...what? Where'd they go?

I've kept them in a small blue zippered canvas bag on the floor right next to the computer for...well, ever since I've had the camera which must be approaching 20 years.

Spent a solid hour tearing the computer room apart looking for that bag, double and triple checking every even remotely logical place I might have put it.

Then I spent a few minutes staring off into space trying to imagine where else it might be. Only thing that occurred was I might have taken it into the basement while taking pictures or videos of the diorama and left it there somewhere.

Almost immediately spotted the bag, which is now full of small electrical test equipment - throw-away DVM, kilowatt meter, stuff like that. Other brain cell kicked in and "Oh. Yeah. I remember needing the bag for this. Now, what did I do with the original contents?"

Went back to the computer room, opened the cabinet door and everything I was looking for was laying right there in plain sight on the shelf. I was so fixated on finding the bag that I looked right at the batteries and chargers probably a half-dozen times and didn't recognize them because they weren't a blue bag...

Welcome to my life. I try to keep things in the same place, to find them next time. That's a solid principle and it works a lot of the time. But if I've moved it, or perhaps the mice have moved it . . .

If it's not where I left it, get into thinking where else could it be? So I go and search, say the garage or the workshop, but don't really believe it's in there, so don't search properly. So after drawing blanks in all the likely places, look in the less likely places, but with ever less belief that's where it is so the search is ever more cursory. So after two or three laps of everywhere, I finally ask Mrs and she usually finds it straight off the bat . . .

But although she is of course perfect, aren't all women (?), she does have a notable tendency to put things on top of things. Which of course hides things and also means there's never anywhere uncluttered to put things down . . .

And she has a tendency to store like items together, which is another solid principle, except it leads to tidying up. Which is often why the bloody thing moved from where I knew it was to where I can't find it . . .

But of course I shoulda found it, because she told me that was where she keeps it now. Uhm, when? And uhm are you sure you had my attention when you told me?

But even without her help tidying up, things still manage to move from where I left 'em. Ever had to buy a new tool, coz you know you got one but can't find it . . .

Somewhat related...
Had to go on a road trip for work. Short notice and I left the garage a bit of a mess. Gone for about 2 mo. When I got home the wife proudly told me she cleaned up the garage for me. :doh:
That was over 20 yrs ago. To this day I find stuff I'd forgot I had.... :cautious:

Last edited:
I feel ya DE! Sometimes in mid search I get distracted by……SQUIRREL! 😄
Surprised Pixar GIF by Disney

Ever lose the wrench you were just using,
in your back pocket. Yup.
Ever lose the glasses on your face? Yup.
Mom would yell when I was younger "If it had teeth it'a bit you"
And it's only getting better with time.
The wife promised me she wouldn't send me off to the home when I lose it though.
She wants to rent me out to party's as the entertainment.
That's her retirement plan. :laugh:

Back in my 20's I went on road trip. Leaving the rifle at home, for safety took the bolt out of the old mauser 98... hid it....about 2 years later I found it in the ice cream machine... Now I don't even know where the gun is, probably one of the kids has it... It was a tack driver @ 300 yards. No use to me now. :) anyway.

The killer is finding something that's been "put away" thinking, Cool, I'm going to need that tomorrow! Yup I move it to ?????????
Still know EXACTLY where it was before I moved it. :banghead:
It WILL NOT be seen again until right after a substitute for the needed use was kludged.

Measuring tape. Is necessary that there be one on the table saw, 5 atop tool chest, one in each room of the house near the door, generally on a book case, one in the car, another in the panniers, several unopened in stores cabinet...and so on. Wife does this too...with her name on each one. I never, ever, touch her measuring tapes, not anymore I don't. Wait! I forgot the topic... ;)

I was out in the garage yesterday finally getting around to working on the RD. While getting things organized I pulled out a box with the old oil pump, an extra pump rebuild kit and the pump drive gear and shaft. I was sure I had already installed drive gear and shaft but maybe I didn't. So off comes the clutch cover and sure enough the part is in there. I still don't have clue where the extra pump drive came from.

And how many utility knifes do you own that you know of
I can find 2 but I know I had more
I even took one out the junk drawer in the kitchen cause I needed one right now
And when I try to find something in the fridge ( WTF ) and my wife will say did you move the milk?
She moves shit on me ( I think I'm pretty sure she does :umm: )
She's funny that way

I'm trying to pack for Ozarks. My bike is ready. Me, not so much. I'm going to forget something important. Maybe the key to the bike. I have a house guest. Three more coming. I need more distractions. I think suffering is part of the human condition. That being the case, this is nothing! If I remember the key and to wear pants tomorrow, I'll be golden!
:bike:

Back